Meet Jacob, the other baby!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well I didn't see any last time I went so I don't intend to this time either :pAs for your critters snakes :eek: bats and owls awwww we have those and they're ok! but Bears and Mountain Lions?? erm and I thought the bugs were a bad point...double:eek::eek:
Ohhhhh..you been to Florida already...:hmm:.. I'll have to think on THIS one!! And..our bears are Vegetarians!! Mountain lions..ummm..not so much!! :laugh:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
The boobie squirrel comment made me laugh, LOL.

Jacob is SO cute. I have always thought gliders were adorable. I haven't seen any around here.

Attachments

• Creeper.jpg
    Creeper.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 53

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
We have neighbors who at times have sign out front..."Sugar Gliders for sale" I always wondered what type of pet they made.

Just how much work, you mention chopping veggies etc....we did that when we had an Iguana. What else do you need to do, because my boys bug me everytime they see the sign and I have to forewarn them.

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
[MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION]
They're a lot of work. You chop veggies/fruits like I said. Jacob is on what's called the high-protein wombaroo diet, which means in addition to the veggies he eats a special protein supplement mixed with bee pollen and eggs that I make for him. Gliders need a very careful diet with a closely monitored phosphorus to calcium ration.
They're nocturnal. In Jacob's case if I put my hand in his sleeping pouch to wake him up during the day he'll bite me. They do bite, especially ones that are scared or have just been brought home. It's not horribly painful, and Jacob has never drawn blood on me. They're super active at night though. They bark,crab, run in their wheels, shake the cage, ect.
They need an hour of 'tent time' every night. Which is where I put up a little pop tent in my bedroom and sit in there with him while he runs around. Without human interaction, especially if you only have one glider, you can run into the problem of them picking holes in their skin out of boredom (it's called over-grooming).
All gliders, but especially the males, have a musky smell a bit like a ferret. It's not near as strong as a ferrets though. If you don't clean the cage at least once a week it can become pretty noticeable.

They're really great little pets. Just ones you have to know what you're jumping into from the get go. If you really are thinking about them then this huge article on GliderCentral has pretty much anything you could wanna know. :D
For Newbies: Covering the Basics - GliderCENTRAL

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious![/MENTION]
Florida as bugs are WAY worse than California's bugs. Those roaches they call palmetto bugs could carry you away! Google palmetto bug images you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Do they like to interact with people? Or do they prefer to be by themselves?

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Once they bond with a person, they LOVE interaction. Bonding can take a while though. I spent a lot of time just sitting in the little pop tent letting Jacob and Jeriah use me as their human tree. When I first brought them home they would lunge and crab (which is a very odd noise) whenever I put my hands near them. Now when I open the cage door Jacob jumps onto my and runs into my pocket or my bra. Really bonded gliders will even glide to you when you open your hand. They'll bond with more than one person sometimes. Jacob loves his vet for some reason. :tease:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Haha that's too funny. Kinda sounds like how rats are!

Twinklrtoes1610

Oct 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Bulldog(s) Names
Gordis, Khalisie and a frenchy named Fry
Aww so cute, but from far away I don't like animals that have a mouse face I'll :scream: but he is adorable. And your bully how does he do around him?

OP
kayrahbear

kayrahbear

Sep 8, 2011
Nashville,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
Roscoe is terrified of Jacob. Whenever he puts his face next to the cage Jacob makes a really loud noise they call 'crabbing' that sends Roscoe running as fast as he can. I've tried a few times to show him to Roscoe when I have him out of the cage but Roscoe just grumples and wanders off. He wants nothing to do with momma's screeching squirrel.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=3197]kayrahbear[/MENTION] LOL that is too funny. When I had rats, Delilah liked to just sit there and stare at them. She didn't understand why they didn't want to play!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
awww. he's so cute! I used to have a hedgehog, who was also a lot of work. Fresh veggies and fruits, a mix of a few brands of cat food, and live meal worms is what she ate, so not quite as bad as the egg and bee concoction you have to make lol. But they are also nocturnal and need people time to be friendly and bond like the sugar gliders do.

Most Reactions