MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
zeus.jpg

Zeus is up for adoption!

YOU MUST READ THIS DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING. Zeus has very stringent requirements for adoption.

If you have previously applied to adopt Zeus, have read his description carefully and your family fits the criteria, and would like an opportunity to adopt Zeus, please email us and let us know you submitted an application before. I will gladly pull it and start to process.

The base criteria for Zeus' adoptive family will be:

Someone must be home most of the day. He shouldn't be crated more than 2-3 hours during the day. He does sleep in a crate at night with no problems.
Another dog would be great and is recommended, but the dog must have the same level of energy as Zeus and be comparable in size. Zeus has high energy. Sort of ā€˜in your faceā€™. Heā€™s not like most bulldogs. He doesnā€™t rest much.

You MUST be willing to work daily on his training, which includes walking on a leash
He needs to be in a home with a fenced yard so he can get plenty of exercise with no chance of escape.

He has food allergies, so he will need a very high quality, grain-free food and treats. At this time, he is taking melatonin. He will need to stay on this until he has been trained and calms down a bit or until your veterinarian suggests otherwise.

Experience with toddlers or puppies a must. I have found since having Zeus as my foster, he is much like a toddler or puppy. Knowing how to child/puppy proof your home, and look for the immature behavior that comes with a child/puppy, you can troubleshoot and avoid many negative situations. A redirection of his attention is usually all it takes.

Zeus is a 4 month old puppy in an 18 month old body. He's got lots of energy and is very mouthy in his play. He bites during play. But this is not to hurt. However, it can hurt and can bruise or break the skin. He will come at your face. This is something we are working on. We don't think his owners bothered with training him and he was crated while he was inside, or they put him in an enclosed porch or outside. He never learned how to behave.

He will also take food from your hands. If he smells food, he wants it. And unless you are sitting at the table, he will try to get it.

On a positive note, as soon as I get the dogs dishes out to feed them, he immediately runs to his crate and sits. This is where I feed him. I like to keep the dogs separate to avoid any possible fight over food. He will sit there until I come with his bowl. This leads me to believe that he is definitely trainable, especially if treats are used.

We also believe he has anxiety. He will and has chewed anything he can find. He has destroyed binoculars, a remote, the leg on a bed, shoes, arms on a sofa, etc. If he's left for a long period of time, or not crated when you leave the house, this is what happens. I haven't had any problems with him chewing anything other than toys. I am very careful not to leave him unattended for long periods of time without crating him. And if he starts to look at something, I remove it immediately. He loves shoes. Keep them put away! Since I am a homemaker, Iā€™m home the majority of the day. I believe that this has helped with his behavior. It not only gives me a chance to see how he behaves, and what to do to correct or avoid negative situations, he is not crated when he should be playing or just in your presence. He wants to be around you.

Zeus takes walks everyday with a couple of the other dogs. He loves to walk. He is a puller, but has shown improvement over that last month. He doesn't like to have a harness put on him, so we straddle him and can then put it on. He needs a harness since he pulls so much. And he has pulled from his collar before. Fortunately, a neighbor was there with a car and he ran right to her and jumped in. Otherwise, I donā€™t know what would have happened.

We have been back and forth on whether he should be with other dogs. At one point, he and his previous fosters dog would fight. But since I've had him I have found what seems to trigger that behavior. I have 5 other dogs in my home. He appears to respect his place in the group as my dominant dogs have let him know, and he doesn't try to fight them. However, when he sits next to you on the sofa, and another dog comes over for your attention, he will want to go after that dog. We think it may have to do with him believing himself to be in a position of greater power purely because he is on a higher level than they are at that particular moment. Our solution is to never let him sit next to us when the other dogs are around. He doesn't do it when heā€™s on the floor and another dog is on the sofa.

He also will get aggressive when you are eating food within his reach. I donā€™t feed our dogs when I am eating meals or snacks. But that doesn't keep them from still hoping that a morsel will drop. If Iā€™m on the sofa and another dog is around, Zeus will become aggressive with them. So I highly recommend that you donā€™t eat anywhere but the table, unless you've worked on this behavior and he has shown improvement.

While my daughter was living here, she has a year old golden-doodle. Zeus and Tabby played almost non-stop. They helped each other use up all that puppy energy. They played very well together. She is also a very submissive dog. She would never have fought with him. He doesn't get that now, and is looking for that play in my husband and I as the other dogs in our home are older.

He is taking 3 mg of melatonin, 2x per day. I include it in his meals. This has taken some of the edge off of Zeus without taking away his desire to play and be part of the family.

Adoption donation is: $650.00

All adopters must live in Ohio, or within a 2 hour driving distance of the border.

We do not adopt out to families with children under 14 years old.

How To Adopt:

Please view the adoption process and fill out an application at their website ---> rescueohioenglishbulldogs.org

To view more available English Bulldogs from this rescue, click this link ---> Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs

Please let them know you found them on English Bulldog News! :up:

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.