Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Penel.jpgPenel1.jpgPenel3.jpg

[h=2]ABOUT PENELOPE[/h]Hello, World!

My name is Penelope! I was just recently given that name by my foster mom because I have never had one before! Iā€™ve always been a cage number. I was freed from a nasty puppy mill where I was used to produce puppies to fill the pockets of the greedy humans operating it. Disgusting, right? Iā€™d never known love, Iā€™d never had a warm place to sleep on cold winter nights, and Iā€™d never had space to stretch my legs and get comfy. Kindness and gentleness were foreign and I am still trying to figure out how to handle all this newfound goodness! But despite it all, I am the happiest little bully girl with the BEST (if I do say so myself) bully butt wiggle. I am just so grateful for this chance at life outside the puppy mill. I never thought Iā€™d feel this thing called love, and now that I have it, I donā€™t ever want to be without.

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I am four years old and I like to act like a silly puppy. Like I said before, I am still figuring out all of this goodness and manners are a current priority for my foster mom and dad. Theyā€™re working with me to know how to behave myself. They say I am THE SWEETEST, but Iā€™m a little ā€œunrefined,ā€ whatever that means. Iā€™ll get it figured out eventuallyā€¦ just keep the treats coming and youā€™ll soon have a perfect angel on your hands! I LOVE treats and anything else that is edible, really. Iā€™m a classic bulldog!

I have some anxiety, but Iā€™m very brave and have come a long way already in the short time Iā€™ve been in foster care. I LOVE humans and other dogs and my foster mom says I donā€™t have a mean bone in my body. Of course I donā€™t! Why would I ever be mean?! Thatā€™s just silly. I love everyone and everything. There are two young human kids (toddlers) in my foster home. They love me and I love them right back. Iā€™m kind of like a bull in a china shop, but otherwise Iā€™m so good with them! Thereā€™s absolutely nothing aggressive about me, just typical donā€™t-know-my-own-strength bulldog type stuff. Again, manners are a work in progress.

I am realizing that touches from humans can be gentle and I donā€™t flatten out on the floor like a pancake anymore when my foster parents reach down to pet me. I love my crate and am gradually spending more and more time outside of it, although I still mostly pace around. I know no one will hurt me now, which is the best feeling in the world. I didnā€™t know humans could be so kind.

Now letā€™s talk about one of my more impressive accomplishments ā€“ POTTY TRAINING. Iā€™m just going to say it like it is: I rule. I have only had 2 accidents in the house since coming to IEBR early on. 2!!! This is SUPER impressive, I must say. Potty training can be especially difficult for rescued mill dogs, but not for me! I am smart and Iā€™ve been following the lead of my two foster brothers! Theyā€™re great about showing me how to be a good dog. Iā€™m super proud of myself and so are my foster parents.

I love my crate. I sleep in there and stay there when my foster family is at work. My foster mom believes I definitely have a mischievous streak, and plus I just love my crate because itā€™s my safe zone. So itā€™s a win-win. Maybe someday I will be able to have free reign of the house when my people are gone, but I donā€™t think itā€™s in the near future. What can I say, Iā€™m a curious girl!!! Making up for lost time.

Medically, I am kind of a mess at the moment, but Iā€™m on the mend. My paws are beat up from the mill and I have open sores we are trying to get healed. I also have a funky toenail situation going on. My eyes are a mess, so we are trying some prescription eye drops. If they donā€™t work, my doctor will do some more checking into other possible causes for the irritation and drainage, etc. My eyes are really uncomfortable and I know I will feel much better once we find the right treatment for the problem. The other physical issue I have is with my right back leg. I must have torn my ACL at some point, which my kind puppy miller had no problem completely disregarding and ignoring as I suffered. As a result, I have quite a bit of pain and difficulty walking. Between my paws and my knee, I limp quite a bit and have a hard time with stairs.

Speaking of stairs, I am terrified of them. I just started going UP steps to get back inside the house, but I still refuse to go DOWN them. Iā€™m just not sure of myself when it comes to things like going down steps. I am so afraid Iā€™ll fall. Iā€™m working hard on overcoming this fear though, and I think soon I will give it a shot. I promise Iā€™ll keep trying. Thatā€™s one thing you can count on with me ā€“ I will never give up!

I hope youā€™ll consider giving me the home Iā€™ve never had but always desperately wanted my whole life. I am such a loving and sweet girl, plus Iā€™m a lot of fun!! I have so much personality and canā€™t wait to share it with you. In the meantime, Iā€™ll be getting well and learning all my manners in my foster home. They love me so much and I have NO doubt you will too.

Love,

Penelope

HOW TO ADOPT:

Please view the adoption process and fill out an application at their website ---> ilenglishbulldogrescue.org

To view more available English Bulldogs from this rescue, click this link ---> Illinois English Bulldog Rescue

Please let them know you found them on English Bulldog News! :up:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.