Supplements for food

Southernbellejc

Dec 8, 2018
GA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy
Hello! We have been battling infections and allergies since we got our bulldog over a year ago. We have tried lots of different protein sources and brands over this time with lots of issues. We have determined that beef, turkey, and chicken cause allergies, but our girl does very well on fish and pork. She stops itching and smelling and her sores go away on a fish or pork diet.

Only issue is she hates kibble. We have tried most of the higher end brands of regular kibble in the US and she will eat well for a week or two, only to decide she dislikes the food after that. We even started buying small bags that would only last a week in case it was because the food was tasting stale to her, but she still refused. We have been being persistent in offering her kibble options but she is so stubborn that she won’t eat much of anything! We realized this was an issue when we took her to the vet for an allergy shot and she lost 5 pounds.

We have decided to start home cooking. We feel we can better gauge her allergy issues this way and she actually eats well when given home made meals. We have tried this once or twice and she was so happy to have a delicious meal and ate like she had never eaten a day in her life!

We bought a vitamin mix in that goes with a recipe from “just food for dogs” but I wanted to ask everyone what they suggest for supplements. We figured the “JFFD” mix in would be good for us to transition into this new territory but we may want to change from the recipe they offer as we become more confident. It is heavy on potatoes which we are concerned could be an allergy issue for her based on her issues on previous kibbles but we just aren’t sure! If you take our ingredients in their recipe then the vitamin add in won’t make a completely balanced meal. I was thinking about trying NuVet since I see it on her a lot and coconut oil since we plan to feed her fish meals. Any help on supplements is appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello! We have been battling infections and allergies since we got our bulldog over a year ago. We have tried lots of different protein sources and brands over this time with lots of issues. We have determined that beef, turkey, and chicken cause allergies, but our girl does very well on fish and pork. She stops itching and smelling and her sores go away on a fish or pork diet.

Only issue is she hates kibble. We have tried most of the higher end brands of regular kibble in the US and she will eat well for a week or two, only to decide she dislikes the food after that. We even started buying small bags that would only last a week in case it was because the food was tasting stale to her, but she still refused. We have been being persistent in offering her kibble options but she is so stubborn that she won’t eat much of anything! We realized this was an issue when we took her to the vet for an allergy shot and she lost 5 pounds.

We have decided to start home cooking. We feel we can better gauge her allergy issues this way and she actually eats well when given home made meals. We have tried this once or twice and she was so happy to have a delicious meal and ate like she had never eaten a day in her life!

We bought a vitamin mix in that goes with a recipe from “just food for dogs” but I wanted to ask everyone what they suggest for supplements. We figured the “JFFD” mix in would be good for us to transition into this new territory but we may want to change from the recipe they offer as we become more confident. It is heavy on potatoes which we are concerned could be an allergy issue for her based on her issues on previous kibbles but we just aren’t sure! If you take our ingredients in their recipe then the vitamin add in won’t make a completely balanced meal. I was thinking about trying NuVet since I see it on her a lot and coconut oil since we plan to feed her fish meals. Any help on supplements is appreciated!!! ent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there. I sure wouldn’t go with JFFDas it has potatoes, sweet potatoes n carrots. Too much starch right there especially if she already had issues. Plus safflower oil is not healthy. I presume she’s like 18months ish? Don’t over supplement your dog if she’s eating home made cooking. What you can do is is use raw organs as a topper on one meal per day. Also you can buy wild caught whole frozen sardines or herring at your supermarket. Add a teaspoon of either hemp oil or EVOO. Nuvet sounds good if your dog was on kibbles but that’s MY personal opinion. Anytime’s you feed homemade, raw or dehydrated raw you don’t need to overdo it in supplements. Hemp oil is really great oil. Start adding fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies to to diet... stick to real food n you won’t need to add all sorts of supplements. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

We bought a vitamin mix in that goes with a recipe from “just food for dogs” but I wanted to ask everyone what they suggest for supplements. We figured the “JFFD” mix in would be good for us to transition into this new territory but we may want to change from the recipe they offer as we become more confident. It is heavy on potatoes which we are concerned could be an allergy issue for her based on her issues on previous kibbles but we just aren’t sure! If you take our ingredients in their recipe then the vitamin add in won’t make a completely balanced meal. I was thinking about trying NuVet since I see it on her a lot and coconut oil since we plan to feed her fish meals. Any help on supplements is appreciated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked at The Honest Kitchen? Or thought about going raw?

Where in US are you located... maybe find a local store or company that ships raw to you already prepared? I am lucky to have found that near me and I know one other member in North Carolina is using the same company as me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with trying the frozen raw. And also try other proteins such as duck and rabbit. If you get a complete formula frozen raw such as Answers Detailed you don't need supplements, otherwise you should add sea kelp and fish oil to a prey diet frozen raw. And of course natural probiotics as mentioned, but you can also buy a good commercial dog one to supplement from time to time like Probiotic Miracle, Proviable DC etc.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online