Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
Hi! I'm very new to this :yes:

We have a 4 month old bully, Clive. He's such a good boy and like most, has a great appetite!

When we brought him home, we continued him on the kibble the breeder was feeding him until the bag ran out. We weren't keen on this brand of kibble so we then decided to put him on Royal Canin Junior (for bulldogs) after reading such good reviews. The first week he was fine, the second week however, we noticed he started to itch his ears and chew his paws. He also has very small hive-like bumps under his furr on his back and in his groin. He then started to have very runny stools, a runny nose and was being lethargic. We put him on a bland diet of rice and chicken which seems to have done the trick, just after a day, he was back to normal. I then slowly introduced the kibble back into his diet (to test) and the same symptoms occurred; this has confirmed to me that he doesn't agree with the kibble.

After extensive research, I've decided to batch cook at home for him (not raw, although I will after 1 year). I have two questions for experienced owners out there:

1. Any tips on home cooking? I want to use coconut oil as a supplement but interested to see what others use for fat/nutrients/calcium?

2. Has anyone experienced the above symptoms from Kibble/Royal Canin?

Thanks very much and I look forward to your responses!!

J

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Your doing such a good job and ............ a few of us home cooked for a good while and have now gone to raw as well :) Some did the whole home cooking thing, and some of us used things like the 'honest kitchen' as the base and went from there. I'll let others with LOTS of experience help you out though. But in the meantime ;) Welcome :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™ve never done home cooking but feed raw. All I know with home cooking is you probably have to add supplements and stuff to make sure itā€™s nutritionally balances. I know egg shells are good for calcium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
Your doing such a good job and ............ a few of us home cooked for a good while and have now gone to raw as well :) Some did the whole home cooking thing, and some of us used things like the 'honest kitchen' as the base and went from there. I'll let others with LOTS of experience help you out though. But in the meantime ;) Welcome :)

That's great to know! I've seen a lot of people talk about 'honest kitchen' but don't think it's available in the UK. I've been reading other threads with lots of helpful info. He's on day two of home food and licks the bowl clean which I suppose is a good start!
Thanks for the help :)

OP
C

Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
Iā€™ve never done home cooking but feed raw. All I know with home cooking is you probably have to add supplements and stuff to make sure itā€™s nutritionally balances. I know egg shells are good for calcium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help! Ideally I would like to give him raw but have been reading to start with cooked food first. How's your Bully on raw? Most seem to thrive from it.
Yes re the calcium, I've got some eggshells ready to grind!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks for the help! Ideally I would like to give him raw but have been reading to start with cooked food first. How's your Bully on raw? Most seem to thrive from it.
Yes re the calcium, I've got some eggshells ready to grind!

Both my guys do great on raw. I never home cooked and went straight from kibble to raw with no issues. But I know a lot of people that start with home cooking and then switch to raw.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!!

I also feed raw and my boys are doing awesome with it. Never home cooked, but have used dehydrated raw for awhile and the boys did really good with it. best of luck to you

OP
C

Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
Thanks so much :)
Clive is now on raw and already it has made such a huge difference. I tried the home cooking but way too time consuming, plus raw is better!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Which raw food did you put Clive on ? I always like to hear about UK brands, since I mostly know about North American ones.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks so much :)
Clive is now on raw and already it has made such a huge difference. I tried the home cooking but way too time consuming, plus raw is better!
You guys in UK have great corner Butchers. I give it frozen to my dogs. I feel better knowingly frozen will kill most bacteria. Great job on switching!

Welcome!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
C

Clivey

Jul 22, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Clive
Sorry for only just replying!
We actually started putting it together ourselves, luckily we have a good selection of muscle and organ meat in our local supermarket and butchers. It did however, take up an awful lot of time. We've started him on a couple of brands: Natures Menu and Paleo Ridge (which is excellent). Which ones do you use?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sorry for only just replying!
We actually started putting it together ourselves, luckily we have a good selection of muscle and organ meat in our local supermarket and butchers. It did however, take up an awful lot of time. We've started him on a couple of brands: Natures Menu and Paleo Ridge (which is excellent). Which ones do you use?

I'm from Toronto, Ontario,Canada so I have different brands here than you. My French Bulldog, Honey, is 8 years old and weighs about 30 pounds. I try to rotate different proteins, except I stay away from chicken or chicken blends and venison. I have tried rabbit,beef,lamb,turkey,duck,pork,game bird,fish dinner, and blends of those. Sometimes I buy it in complete meals which include the coconut oil and sea kelp and fish oil. Other times I buy the pure formulas which just have the mix of muscle meat and organs, and add my own sea kelp, about 1/8-1/4 tsp with each meal https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Kelp-Powder/dp/B004XIS14M/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1535800296&sr=1-1&keywords=starwest+botanical+kelp and about a teaspoon of coconut oil and the contents of a 300mg DHA/EPA fish oil capsule with each meal ( except if on a fish diet ) and the contents of a natural source Vitamin E 400IU capsule once a week.I sometimes add the contents of a 1g flax seed oil capsule as well . Since my dog is 8 years old I also add about a half teaspoon of ground turmeric spice and 1/4 tsp of Acti-Flex 4000 supplement with each meal.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The advantage of buying the pure formulas which are based on prey model is that they don't include the vegetables and fruit, so if your dog has a really bad yeast problem you are avoiding any sources of sugar from the fruit that can promote yeast.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.