Homemade Dog Food Help

HIHI123

May 30, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
kiki
Does anyone know how to make homemade dog food? I've checked several websites and am totally confused.

Potatoes...One web site says skin is toxic, another says add to the dog food.
Salt...One web site salt is not good for dogs, another says to use a beef bullion cube for gravy. Its loaded with salt.
Fat...One says its O.K. to add fat to dog food, another says not to.
Veggies...Again, one says feed your dog veggies, another says it can cause kidney stones.

Any web sites I can trust for accurate information? And no, I'm not checking with the Vet every 15 minutes whenever I have a question.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Does anyone know how to make homemade dog food? I've checked several websites and am totally confused.

Potatoes...One web site says skin is toxic, another says add to the dog food.
Salt...One web site salt is not good for dogs, another says to use a beef bullion cube for gravy. Its loaded with salt.
Fat...One says its O.K. to add fat to dog food, another says not to.
Veggies...Again, one says feed your dog veggies, another says it can cause kidney stones.

Any web sites I can trust for accurate information? And no, I'm not checking with the Vet every 15 minutes whenever I have a question.

There isnā€™t a specific dog food thatā€™s homemade but human food. I personally did home cooking for my brindle when she was a pup cause of crystal issues. Boil a big turkey for a good 8 hrs n more, get rid of the fat once finished boiled. Remove turkey n add fresh green beans to the broth, broccoli, cauliflower and even carrots or sweet potatoes. Semi cook all to keep the vitamins in the veggies n remove. I would debone the turkey add one cup of it to the bottom of a freezer medium size ziploc bag, top with veggies n fill the bag with the broth. One bag per day. I would freeze the bags n thaw one overnight for following day. Months down the road I didnā€™t have time too cook as I wasnā€™t home much so I bought Honest Kitchen. Today both are on raw.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi, this is the best to make home food for your dog. My dog is very happy and healthy eating home cooked food. For the protein I use beef or turkey. Beef I buy in Sams, usually eye of round, 3.98 per pound. Easy to cut:DTurkey breast I buy in Sprouts, the same price. Helene uses whole turkey, but it is a little bit more work to take meat off the bones, breast is easy. Iā€™m lazy bones:D

For the grain I use non-grain non-gluten varieties- whole buckwheat, quinoa or rice.
For veggies I use pumpkin (calabaza variety), frozen sweet peas, carrots, sweet potato, broccoli. I used normal potato without skin.

Amount of components: for one full turkey breast I will use 1 full cup of grain, 2-3;cups of veggies. You will get quite a big amount of food enough for 3-4 days.
i donā€™t use all veggies at the same time, usually every 6 months my dog gets tired of his food, and starts being picky, so at a time I use 1 protein , one grain and 2-3 veggies. And then swap them. Like now he gets turkey, quinoa, pumpkin, sweet peas. Before he ate beef, rice, sweet potato, broccoli.
I never add any fat into my dogs food except for fish oil and coconut oil, just a spoon from time to time as a treat.
You are right, there is lots of controversy about what veggies to give dogs. As far as I know, only garlic, avocado, grape and onion are toxic for dogs. Too much cabbage group veggies can also be goitrogenic, so broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage you should use in moderation. For the rest you can give veggies to dogs.
Also, every day he gets fish oil with high EPA and DHA content, Nuvet vitamin, from time to time I give him VitA, VitE (may be twice a week).

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
P.s. no need to,add to salt to your dogs food.

I also make my dog his own jerky treats. Extremely easy. I buy eye round beef, cut it along grain into half an inch thick but long slices. Then I sprinkle it generously with coarse sea salt, leave for 3 hours in the fridge. After that I pour 1 cup of vinegar into bowl and wash off salt from meat. Vinegar kills all possible bacteria. Tap dry with paper kitchen towels. After that put into jerky drier. After appr 24-30 hours itā€™s ready! Cut it in slices and your dog will beg for them! Healthy and delicious.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
And donā€™t worry, ask here as much questions as you need, crowd is very helpful on this site! Good luck with your home cooking!
And we love bulldog pictures :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Look into The Honest Kitchen or Spot Farms... raw dehydrated foods you can choose to add your own protein or buy with the protein in it.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.