Need tips on how to feed my Bully at home

Wade305

Apr 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wade
Hi guys! Iā€™m Indira and new here. I need Ur help... desperately! So my Bulldog, Wade, is 2yrs old and I was giving him Nutro until they decided to add Chicken meal to everything they make. Wade isnā€™t too fond of poultry as it causes some allergies. I switched Him over to lamb and sweet potatoes but that had chicken meal. Then I thoughtt... let me give him fish and sweet potatoes and see how he does. Well letā€™s just say he really got sick and on top of that heā€™s had a reaction like Iā€™ve never seen. I posted Before and after pics so u can see how bad the damage was. I freaked! So I decided im Giving him house food from now on. I have Been cooking for about a week in a half: Sweet potatoes, brown rice with coconut oil mixed with flaxseed. Other days I give Him broccoli, cauliflower, brown rice and chickpeas with sweep potatoes or carrots. Iā€™m worried heā€™s not getting enough nutrients and as u know our chunky monkies are usually a bit fat. Well Wade has lost some weight and I need help in knowing what to feed him so he doesnā€™t miss out on any nutrients. The pic of him on the grass is when he was healthy and u can see the big difference and consequences of the Fish food from Nutro.

52DD727F-485C-4841-B5ED-101D3F932D6D.jpegF5073676-9451-4AC1-B90E-4A615C5E288B.jpegD19C9A46-CCD5-4376-9C1C-12CE0265BB11.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi guys! Iā€™m Indira and new here. I need Ur help... desperately! So my Bulldog, Wade, is 2yrs old and I was giving him Nutro until they decided to add Chicken meal to everything they make. Wade isnā€™t too fond of poultry as it causes some allergies. I switched Him over to lamb and sweet potatoes but that had chicken meal. Then I thoughtt... let me give him fish and sweet potatoes and see how he does. Well letā€™s just say he really got sick and on top of that heā€™s had a reaction like Iā€™ve never seen. I posted Before and after pics so u can see how bad the damage was. I freaked! So I decided im Giving him house food from now on. I have Been cooking for about a week in a half: Sweet potatoes, brown rice with coconut oil mixed with flaxseed. Other days I give Him broccoli, cauliflower, brown rice and chickpeas with sweep potatoes or carrots. Iā€™m worried heā€™s not getting enough nutrients and as u know our chunky monkies are usually a bit fat. Well Wade has lost some weight and I need help in knowing what to feed him so he doesnā€™t miss out on any nutrients. The pic of him on the grass is when he was healthy and u can see the big difference and consequences of the Fish food from Nutro. View attachment 112183View attachment 112184View attachment 112185[/QUOTe

Hi there just posted this as someone mentioned too much protein...

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choos...out-meat-meal/

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-...ein-dog-foods/

https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...-your-pet.aspx

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
In the fist two pictures, the skin around his eyes does not look good. You point out areas around his nose. He has also lost his black mask. Many people here feed home cooked-that may be what your boy needs!

OP
W

Wade305

Apr 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wade
Yes I forgot to circle the eyes too. His eyes were so swollen that his lashes were going inward. I had to get him a cone for him to stop scratching for now. The pic was taken last week and I've been raw feeding him now. He's improved by a lot but I'm careful about each ingredient I give him. I haven't given him any animal protein as of yet because I want to wait for this to clear out and see how he does with other meats and of course avoiding fish/poultry. I'll post a pic later today when I get home so you can follow his progress. I just want to make sure we're giving him all the nutrients he needs so he can get better and continue to be the happy Wade we love.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
When home cooking you would probably want to add in some vitamins and supplements to ensure he is getting all of the proper nutrition. I don't homecook so I can't tell you what would be needed.

Raw might be an option as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi guys! Iā€™m Indira and new here. I need Ur help... desperately! So my Bulldog, Wade, is 2yrs old and I was giving him Nutro until they decided to add Chicken meal to everything they make. Wade isnā€™t too fond of poultry as it causes some allergies. I switched Him over to lamb and sweet potatoes but that had chicken meal. Then I thoughtt... let me give him fish and sweet potatoes and see how he does. Well letā€™s just say he really got sick and on top of that heā€™s had a reaction like Iā€™ve never seen. I posted Before and after pics so u can see how bad the damage was. I freaked! So I decided im Giving him house food from now on. I have Been cooking for about a week in a half: Sweet potatoes, brown rice with coconut oil mixed with flaxseed. Other days I give Him broccoli, cauliflower, brown rice and chickpeas with sweep potatoes or carrots. Iā€™m worried heā€™s not getting enough nutrients and as u know our chunky monkies are usually a bit fat. Well Wade has lost some weight and I need help in knowing what to feed him so he doesnā€™t miss out on any nutrients. The pic of him on the grass is when he was healthy and u can see the big difference and consequences of the Fish food from Nutro.

View attachment 112183View attachment 112184View attachment 112185

He is gorgeous! So letā€™s get him back on track.

If you want to go home cook... look at The Honest Kitchen, i had great results with Preference base mix and added my protein of choice.

If wanting to stick with kibble

Acana
Orijen
Zingature
Earthborn Holistic
Fromm

Are great choices

My girl was highly allergic to chicken and would break out in hives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I forgot to circle the eyes too. His eyes were so swollen that his lashes were going inward. I had to get him a cone for him to stop scratching for now. The pic was taken last week and I've been raw feeding him now. He's improved by a lot but I'm careful about each ingredient I give him. I haven't given him any animal protein as of yet because I want to wait for this to clear out and see how he does with other meats and of course avoiding fish/poultry. I'll post a pic later today when I get home so you can follow his progress. I just want to make sure we're giving him all the nutrients he needs so he can get better and continue to be the happy Wade we love.

Have a few questions....You say you feed him raw n no animal protein. What exactly is the raw youā€™re giving him? He has extremely bad tear stains caused by yeast from them photos. What are you cleaning his folds with? Now from what Iā€™m reading you basically need to start over from start with his food. Since youā€™re feeding him raw, stay on it but again need to know whatā€™s in that raw. Stop feeding sweet potatoes or peas or anything that is starchy. I would start by home cooking as like that youā€™re the one thatā€™s adding the ingredients. You absolutely need to write down everything you feed him so you can keep track what works n not with him. Too much ingredients will take too long. Boil a big turkey for 8hrs. Keep the broth!!!! Turkey is NOT like chicken and doesnā€™t have the same allergy issues like chicken. Rare a dog canā€™t handle turkey. Semi cook FRESH green beans. No cans!!! So just start him on turkey, broth n green beans. If Wade is 50lbs he needs one pound of protein per day, 2-3 cups of green beans per day n always top with the broth. Make sure you have removed all fat n skin on the turkey n broth. One multi vitamin per day like regular centrum. Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric n ginger to the meals everyday. Start like that n will see what your answers to the questions are so we can guide you better.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I home cook for my bulldog Tank, he never could digest kibble, he had allergy, diarrhoea and stains. I use beef - I buy in Sams Club eye of round, it is lean and easy to cut, price is 3,98 per pound. I buy 20 pounds and cut them n small 1 cm by 1 cm blocks, weigh portions 700 grams (1,5 pound) per day and pack them into 1 quart slider freezer bags. I cook with it 1 average size sweet potato, a half a cup of rice or lentils. This is his meal per day. I give it in two portions. I also give him Nuvet supplement, high Omega 3 fish oil, Vit E and A occasionally. Tank is 58 pounds, very lean but not skinny. You can adjust amount to your boy size!
And donā€™t worry, home cooking isnā€™t too difficult when you get used to it. We ourselves would never eat kibble, but somehow big corporations sold this idea to people that pets can eat kibble and be healthy. Good luck with your baby diet!

OP
W

Wade305

Apr 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wade
Hey [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]! Thanks for the great idea! I bought the Centrum and Iā€™m cooking that Turkey tomorrow. I havenā€™t fed him raw protein yet. Iā€™m just scared heā€™ll have a bad reaction. I do Want to continue cooking for him myself so I can Control what he eats. I have Been giving him the sweet potatoes and rice and such. Yesterday he had brown rice, broccoli and cauliflower. I also Gave him mango and blueberries as treats. He had sweet potatoes, carrots and brown rice for dinner and same for breakfast. Iā€™m cleaning his folds with a small towel and some warm water. Iā€™m also applying a bit of coconut oil to his nose for the dryness. He has a cone on to make sure he doesnā€™t scratch anymore. This has been hard because I have No idea what Iā€™m doing with my baby but Iā€™m trying. Thanks for the advice with the turkey and Iā€™ll stop the potatoes. Hereā€™s an updated pic on what he looks like right now:

E47DB66D-E7F5-479B-A56F-8DB2DC4C347E.jpeg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]! Thanks for the great idea! I bought the Centrum and Iā€™m cooking that Turkey tomorrow. I havenā€™t fed him raw protein yet. Iā€™m just scared heā€™ll have a bad reaction. I do Want to continue cooking for him myself so I can Control what he eats. I have Been giving him the sweet potatoes and rice and such. Yesterday he had brown rice, broccoli and cauliflower. I also Gave him mango and blueberries as treats. He had sweet potatoes, carrots and brown rice for dinner and same for breakfast. Iā€™m cleaning his folds with a small towel and some warm water. Iā€™m also applying a bit of coconut oil to his nose for the dryness. He has a cone on to make sure he doesnā€™t scratch anymore. This has been hard because I have No idea what Iā€™m doing with my baby but Iā€™m trying. Thanks for the advice with the turkey and Iā€™ll stop the potatoes. Hereā€™s an updated pic on what he looks like right now:

View attachment 112194

Start with baby steps like youā€™re doing. Start with the turkey as protein since youā€™re not giving him any meat. Broth as you know has tons of minerals which he needs. I would freeze Nyalaā€˜s meals in ziplocks so when youā€™re in a hurry you just thaw it out. Do this for a week and the 2nd week add a bit on every other day Coconut oil like a teaspoon. Do this turkey for a good 2-3 weeks then add a new veggie. I know he eats broccoli and cauliflower but if he has an allergy towards one of them you will not know which one. Very rare dogs have allergies with those 2 veggies but you never know. If youā€™re going to start over do it right n small steps. In a month time change meat. Like try lamb or duck or beef or organs in one specific animal. Up to you. Takes a good 3weeks for an allergy to surface. Unless itā€™s an ASAP allergy youā€™ll see it immediately. Bare in mind dogs donā€™t drink as much when fed home cooked meals so donā€™t panic. Duke use to have very bad dark tear stains. All disappeared when I started months ago putting ACV in their drinking water n feeding him (and her) tripe as a mid snack. Iā€™m not going to change anything as something is working. And he really has NO stains. All nice n white! Also I use fragrance free baby wipes everyday to clean his folds/face as some days his folds can smell yeasty.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
He is gorgeous! So letā€™s get him back on track.

If you want to go home cook... look at The Honest Kitchen, i had great results with Preference base mix and added my protein of choice.

If wanting to stick with kibble

Acana
Orijen
Zingature
Earthborn Holistic
Fromm

Are great choices

My girl was highly allergic to chicken and would break out in hives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree ! Simplest way to start with home cooking would be to buy a base mix such as Honest Kitchen Kindly or Honest Kitchen Preference or Grandma Lucy's Artisan Grain-Free PreMix and lightly cook your own protein such as turkey or beef and mix together. Even better would be to just buy a complete dehydrated raw food such as Grandma Lucy's Artisan Venison or Honest Kitchen Marvel that has the protein included in dehydrated raw form so you just add water. Dehydrated raw protein is better for your dog than cooked protein.

After a while if you get more adventurous, buy a commercial frozen raw product and feed that to your dog. This is the best food for allergic dogs but least convenient.

To get those wrinkles into shape I would buy some ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo such as Curaseb or Ketohex and put a dab on a wet cosmetic round pad and wipe the wrinkles, then use a second wet round and wash out the wrinkle, then wipe dry with a third dry cosmetic round. Do this once daily for a few days then after that you can keep in shape by wiping wrinkles with a fragrance free wipe with or without witch hazel and then drying with a cosmetic round pad after. You probably won't be able to get wrinkles in good shape if diet is allergenic, as that is the most important part.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree ! Simplest way to start with home cooking would be to buy a base mix such as Honest Kitchen Kindly or Honest Kitchen Preference or Grandma Lucy's Artisan Grain-Free PreMix and lightly cook your own protein such as turkey or beef and mix together. Even better would be to just buy a complete dehydrated raw food such as Grandma Lucy's Artisan Venison or Honest Kitchen Marvel that has the protein included in dehydrated raw form so you just add water. Dehydrated raw protein is better for your dog than cooked protein.

After a while if you get more adventurous, buy a commercial frozen raw product and feed that to your dog. This is the best food for allergic dogs but least convenient.

To get those wrinkles into shape I would buy some ketoconazole/chlorhexidine shampoo such as Curaseb or Ketohex and put a dab on a wet cosmetic round pad and wipe the wrinkles, then use a second wet round and wash out the wrinkle, then wipe dry with a third dry cosmetic round. Do this once daily for a few days then after that you can keep in shape by wiping wrinkles with a fragrance free wipe with or without witch hazel and then drying with a cosmetic round pad after. You probably won't be able to get wrinkles in good shape if diet is allergenic, as that is the most important part.

Thank god I was getting exhausted :D :p

OP
W

Wade305

Apr 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wade
Hello all! I just Wanted to give you and update! So Wade is no longer needing that cone. His eyes are almost on track. Heā€™s energetic and happy again. Our poor boy was so miserable before and all he would do is sleep and itch. The yeast in his nose is going away and his mask is almost back. I cant Believe itā€™s only been less than two weeks but the difference is remarkable. We are doing the turkey and broccoli diet and he loves that broth! His wrinkles are still a work in progress but also improving. I couldnt Have done it without your knowledge. We probably would still be guessing what works and what doesnā€™t. Thank you all for your help. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

10BA0AE8-0EAB-48EB-9185-74B21E682E68.jpeg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online