Introduction and Questions on Home Cooking

StoutsDad

Apr 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stout
Hi Everyone!

I just joined the site yesterday, after a long long time of coming here to read and research. Thank you for this community and all the resources you provide to us bully parents. I joined because I really need some assistance in switching my pup (Stout) over to a whole-food home cooked alternative. He's been on Natural Balance for a couple years and hasn't had any issues, but lately (he'll be 5 in July), he has been experiencing some interdigital cysts and hot spots on his face from scratching a lot. I made an appointment with an allergist, but it's not for another 4 weeks and I can't stand to see him uncomfortable any longer. So, I went out yesterday after some advice on here and picked up some sweet potatoes, carrots, kale and broccoli as well as some ground turkey. I boiled the sweet potatoes for about 10 minutes, added in the veggies and turkey and boiled another 10 mins. I divided this evenly into 7 meals and added a half a hard boiled egg per meal. I plan on feeding him 2 meals of this a day.

Stout absolutely gobbled up this food, after expressing some dis interest in the Natural Balance (duh, it's making him sick :-/ ). So this is a good sign, however I'm really looking to dial in the quantities of food he needs. Does anyone have insight as to what proportion of each meal should be starches / fats / veggies / protein? Also, how many calories should he be eating? Is there a calculator or some other resource I can utilize?

As far as protein - I know I need to work in some organ meat to this - any recommendations and at what proportion?

I have read that a multi vitamin is also necessary because whole foods arent as nutrient dense - what are people using, and at what dosage?

Lastly, are there any other supplements I should be providing? I have heard fish oil is a good idea, but then I read this article and it gave me concerns...

Fish Oil For Dogs: Safe Or Not?

I figure I would walk before I run with this, so I'm not too concerned about getting the supplement and everything completely perfect, but I would love to have some clarity on dialing his diet in over the coming couple weeks - so any help you guys can provide would mean the world to Stout and I.

Thank you - this site is wonderful!

Helder

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm running out the door but.......... check out Grizzly Krill oil... ;) and coconut oil good... we switch up..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
OP
StoutsDad

StoutsDad

Apr 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stout
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help on this - I recently changed Stout over to home cooking with ground turkey as the protein. He had previously been taking Benadryl to help relieve his itching while I figured out his diet. I stopped the benadryl after a week of the new diet to see if there would be any difference, and he's still very itchy (hot spots on his face). I just switched over to Honest Kitchen grain free base (Kindly) with still using turkey meat because it's a little easier to manage. My question is how long should I give him on the turkey meat until I try a new protein source? It's been almost 2 weeks on the new diet. I had to re introduce the Benadryl because his face was really banged up and I want to give it a chance to heal (I work during the day so I can't keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get into his hot spots and tear them open). I guess I'm just a little frustrated and worried that I'm not making any progress. I know it takes some time for the effects of a new food to materialize, just wondering how much longer I should wait and if there's anything else I could be doing in the meantime to help. Thanks everyone!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I know that a couple of people have gotton theirs a shot (sounds like a great option but unfortunately I cant remember the name) that absolutely stoped the itch. That would possibly be great for you until the other was resolved. We're another on the Kindly, and I use turkey as well.. Sometimes the ground, and sometimes cook up parts, and get giblets and liver too ;) Hope your babie gets some reliefe soon... And that the 'shot' people pop on...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You're thinking of Cytopoint injection, a brand new biological therapy, about 90.00 for a shot that lasts a month or two. I think it's a great idea for allergies, but we still want to eliminate the cause if at all possible, ie. wipe down pet with a wipe after being outside, find out what food works for them etc. Try the turkey meat for about 4 weeks, but if it's getting worse, you know to switch before then.

I know that a couple of people have gotton theirs a shot (sounds like a great option but unfortunately I cant remember the name) that absolutely stoped the itch. That would possibly be great for you until the other was resolved. We're another on the Kindly, and I use turkey as well.. Sometimes the ground, and sometimes cook up parts, and get giblets and liver too ;) Hope your babie gets some reliefe soon... And that the 'shot' people pop on...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think that article on fish oil is a bit exaggerated on the dangers. Japanese people are the longest lived on the earth, and their diet consists primarily of fish, soy, rice and seaweed. I give my dog some powdered kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum) from Starwest Botanical as well daily to try to help prevent plaque, not sure if that helps make her live longer too :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help on this - I recently changed Stout over to home cooking with ground turkey as the protein. He had previously been taking Benadryl to help relieve his itching while I figured out his diet. I stopped the benadryl after a week of the new diet to see if there would be any difference, and he's still very itchy (hot spots on his face). I just switched over to Honest Kitchen grain free base (Kindly) with still using turkey meat because it's a little easier to manage. My question is how long should I give him on the turkey meat until I try a new protein source? It's been almost 2 weeks on the new diet. I had to re introduce the Benadryl because his face was really banged up and I want to give it a chance to heal (I work during the day so I can't keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't get into his hot spots and tear them open). I guess I'm just a little frustrated and worried that I'm not making any progress. I know it takes some time for the effects of a new food to materialize, just wondering how much longer I should wait and if there's anything else I could be doing in the meantime to help. Thanks everyone!

Ask your vet about CADI/cytopoint shots... I'm thinking he may have environmental allergies that ate kicking in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
For the itchy part, for sure its either food or environmental. My moto is one month on one protein only! You're guarantee to know yes puppy is fine or no puppy isn't fine. Stick to the SAME protein snack. If you're doing turkey for a month dont give beef snack or duck etc or you will never know what triggers the allergies. Its a long procedure but you're helping out your furball down the road.

For the itchy part, have you tried coconut oil mixed with 3 drops of *like*geranium,*rose*and*lavender? Rose is extremely expensive (I paid $200 15ml) so you can opt that one. So like one oz of CO 3 drops of geranium, lavender and you can add peppermint or even juniper. All anti inflammatory, anti fungal, soothing even for eczema. So great for dogs.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Everyone,

https://healthyfocus.org/12-proven-essential-oils-for-itching/

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.