Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mavis
    Likes (Received)

Question Home cooking question...

Here's the scoop, every store bought food we've bought for our Mavis in the past has given her allergies. We tried so many brands/flavors/proteins we decided to try strictly home cooking. Once we transitioned her skin cleared up so well and she practically stopped itching all together! We even were getting a lot of compliments on how good she looked for a bulldog - lol!

Here is the issue... it seemed like it didn't matter how much we fed her, she was always hungry. She would be begging for food every chance she got and she NEVER would beg before we did home cooking. So we tried a mix of home cooking and kibble and she’s back to itching. Urg.

So - my question is... are we missing something in the home cooking and she trying to tell us she needs nutrients? Maybe we need to add more of something as a good filler to help her feel full? We don't want to over/under feed her but we also don't want to be woken up in the middle night because she's hungry.

She's 55 pounds.
    Here is the home cooking ratio we use: 1/3 ground turkey, 1/3 white rice, 1/3 veggies (carrots and peas). Plus a couple of supplements - calcium (linked below) and Solid Gold SeaMeal supplement.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any advice would be welcome! Thank you!!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Home cooking question...

I tagged a few members that may be able to help out

good luck!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

3. Likes MeShell liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Just for the heck of it.... Look up Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucy's, Sojo's and just see if you think any of those ingredients would bother her. We've used all three and just add our turkey, or beef or???? to the mix. I was afraid of solo home cooking but I know it can be done. So far, mine has no apparent allergies so this has been good for us but you might see something in one of those feeds and not the other that may make it easier for you.. They also have w/or w/o grain and since yours does fine with rice, you might go that route. Just some thoughts. Also, if you do stick with all your own, add some organ meat once or twice a week ???

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Interesting - Castor has seemed much more hungry on raw than on kibble, even losing weight although he ate a lot. We are now trying Orijen kibble to see if that will 'fill' him better. Looking forward to seeing what replies you get!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Ya know, same actually for us with the Honest Kitchet etc... I have started adding a scoop of his origen/accana mid day to see if that helps... it sure does and he sleeps through the night more comfortably it seems. So he still eats his morn and eve meal, just the added midday kibble seems to sooth that almost anxious hunger.
    Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Interesting - Castor has seemed much more hungry on raw than on kibble, even losing weight although he ate a lot. We are now trying Orijen kibble to see if that will 'fill' him better. Looking forward to seeing what replies you get!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    Ya know, same actually for us with the Honest Kitchet etc... I have started adding a scoop of his origen/accana mid day to see if that helps... it sure does and he sleeps through the night more comfortably it seems. So he still eats his morn and eve meal, just the added midday kibble seems to sooth that almost anxious hunger.
    Oh, now you make me think that Castor's nightwalking might be hunger?! Will consider adding a mid day or afternoon snack! Thanks for posting!

Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

8. Likes Hankster liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

You could try buying BalanceIT vitamin supplement and custom making your own recipes on their site. https://secure.balanceit.com/marketplace2.2/?m=homemade

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MeShell View Post
    Here's the scoop, every store bought food we've bought for our Mavis in the past has given her allergies. We tried so many brands/flavors/proteins we decided to try strictly home cooking. Once we transitioned her skin cleared up so well and she practically stopped itching all together! We even were getting a lot of compliments on how good she looked for a bulldog - lol!

Here is the issue... it seemed like it didn't matter how much we fed her, she was always hungry. She would be begging for food every chance she got and she NEVER would beg before we did home cooking. So we tried a mix of home cooking and kibble and she’s back to itching. Urg.

So - my questionis... are we missing something in the home cooking and she trying to tell us she needs nutrients? Maybe we need to add more of something as a good filler to help her feel full? We don't want to over/under feed her but we also don't want to be woken up in the middle night because she's hungry.

She's 55 pounds.
    Here is the home cooking ratio we use: 1/3 ground turkey, 1/3 white rice, 1/3 veggies (carrots and peas). Plus a couple of supplements - calcium (linked below) and Solid Gold SeaMeal supplement.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any advice would be welcome! Thank you!!!
    Nyala has been on Home Cooking over a year. I do it 2 ways. And yes its a dog and they can eat till they drop so DONT feel guilty!

One thing is get rid of your rice. That can also trigger allergies. So I boil a massive turkey with the organs if it comes with it and top with water. Once cooked I debone it n get rid of the fat. I add in the broth green &yellow string beans, sweet potatoes, lima beans, green peas, carrots. I ziploc all in medium bags and freeze them. I take one full cup of turkey (turkey has higher protein) pack bottom of bag. Add 3 cups of your semi-cooked veggies. Never overcook your veggies or its useless in vitamins, then top with your broth. Each bag is for 2 meals. Note they will not drink a lot of water cause its moisture not kibbles. Also yes you give them a multi vitamin. You can even give them regular centrum vitamin. NOT for senior or women or men just the regular one. During the day, Nyala gets fruits like half of apples, pears, berries, mangos, etc etc. Her other snacks are dried up....liver, duck salmon, bison etc. And lately cause im busy with my business she gets honest kitchen. I still try to do her baggies and keep some frozen. She's a healthy furball.

11. Likes Dollys Owner, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, & MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Never met a bulldog that wouldn't stop what they're doing and eat. Never met a bulldog that would leave food in the bowl unless they were not feeling well. If her ribs can be felt and not seen and she has a waist then you are doing a fine job of feeding. She's playing you like a fiddle. She can do this because she knows how much you love her.

Who says Bulldogs can't fly?

13. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Never met a bulldog that wouldn't stop what they're doing and eat. Never met a bulldog that would leave food in the bowl unless they were not feeling well. If her ribs can be felt and not seen and she has a waist then you are doing a fine job of feeding. She's playing you like a fiddle. She can do this because she knows how much you love her.
    You're too cute! You always put a smile on me!

Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mavis
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for you responses - you are a wealth of knowledge! I'll keep you posted on what we decide and if it works.

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

???? Just wondering how it's going

17. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast