helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Never met a bulldog that wouldn't stop what they're doing and eat. Never met a bulldog that would leave food in the bowl unless they were not feeling well. If her ribs can be felt and not seen and she has a waist then you are doing a fine job of feeding. She's playing you like a fiddle. She can do this because she knows how much you love her.

Good - thanks for asking! Right now we are doing 2 meals of the home cooked (with less rice) and 1 meal of raw food. Primal. Its seems to be helping A LOT. She still it kinda itchy, but with spring upon us in Minnesota it's hard to tell if it's seasonal allergies or maybe the rice or the raw food. She is obsessively licking her paws less as well.

So the plan is to finish up what we have stocked up for home cooked food (since my husband and I are personally not fans of ground turkey) and transition her to either strictly the raw food she's on or do the 1 meal raw and 2 meals with Fromm or something.

It'll be a work in progress but so worth it! The things we do for our bullies - right?? She's gonna eat better than me. :blink:

Michelle, you're on the right track. Just one thing, if you're going to stick to raw, stay away from kibbles. Stick to one raw n one HC or just raw or just HC. Or honest kitchen but no point adding kibbles.

StoutsDad

Apr 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stout
Hi everyone - brand new to these forums, although I've read a great deal on various subjects ever since getting my little peanut a few years ago. My bully (Stout) is coming up on 5 years old and has been struggling with allergies for the past couple months. He had a few interdigital cysts and a tail pocket infection which required some medication. All of that is cleared up now, but his face is perpetually pink and he scratches to the point of creating hot spots. It's heartbreaking to see. I have an appointment with an allergist in 4 weeks, but reading about cooking for your bully at home has me curious to try, since I have to wait 4 weeks anyway.

At this point I have no clue what could be bothering him with his food. He's on Natural Balance grain free diet, sweet potato and fish formula. I've read through what some people are feeding their bullies and I'm wondering what my best starting point would be. I have no problem batching any kind of protein with veggies for the week - can someone point me to a resource or chime in on how to get started? Also, what is the best way to determine the amount I should be feeding him? LaLaLoopsie seems to have a nice little formula, I can try that certainly. Also, regarding supplementation - what is the general consensus on what I should be giving in terms of vitamins / fish oil and in what quantity?

Thanks so much!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi there and welcome StoutsDad :) You have great questions there and I hope it gets well seen :) If you don't get much response, you 'may' start a new post with that same content,, but hopfully it will be seen here and you just get your answers .. We are Honest Kitchen users,,, we use preference or Kindly and add our own protein , and even use Sojo's with lamb in it on some days. I add turmeric, acv, gutsence (a probiotoc) ,,, he gets fresh sauerkraut and all kinds of stuff,,.. sooooooooooooo, I'm not the best to get info from... I believe most like to stick to one source of food when a dog is allergy prone, and I'm a big rotator so there ya go... Some real good info though from others who have worked through your similar stuff .... All the best, you found a great place here..
Hi everyone - brand new to these forums, although I've read a great deal on various subjects ever since getting my little peanut a few years ago. My bully (Stout) is coming up on 5 years old and has been struggling with allergies for the past couple months. He had a few interdigital cysts and a tail pocket infection which required some medication. All of that is cleared up now, but his face is perpetually pink and he scratches to the point of creating hot spots. It's heartbreaking to see. I have an appointment with an allergist in 4 weeks, but reading about cooking for your bully at home has me curious to try, since I have to wait 4 weeks anyway.

At this point I have no clue what could be bothering him with his food. He's on Natural Balance grain free diet, sweet potato and fish formula. I've read through what some people are feeding their bullies and I'm wondering what my best starting point would be. I have no problem batching any kind of protein with veggies for the week - can someone point me to a resource or chime in on how to get started? Also, what is the best way to determine the amount I should be feeding him? LaLaLoopsie seems to have a nice little formula, I can try that certainly. Also, regarding supplementation - what is the general consensus on what I should be giving in terms of vitamins / fish oil and in what quantity?

Thanks so much!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks so much!

Get rid of that food. Even though says grain free it's not a clean kibble. Go towards home cooking or raw and see if it clears up. Im pretty sure it will. Multi vitamin is a start and coconut oil in the food. You can always use honest kitchen and add your protein or just buy it already in it if its feasible. By going that route, you will avoid so many issues.

Go to this link n read the last few post....

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...lp-seasonal-allergies-food-intolerance-2.html

StoutsDad

Apr 12, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stout
Get rid of that food. Even though says grain free it's not a clean kibble. Go towards home cooking or raw and see if it clears up. Im pretty sure it will. Multi vitamin is a start and coconut oil in the food. You can always use honest kitchen and add your protein or just buy it already in it if its feasible. By going that route, you will avoid so many issues.

Go to this link n read the last few post....

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...lp-seasonal-allergies-food-intolerance-2.html

Thanks so much Helsonwheels - This is a great start - the Honest Kitchen products look amazing and convenient. I just went out yesterday and made a mixture of carrots, broccoli stalks, kale and sweet potato as a base for Stout until we get his allergies under control and can re-evaluate a long term solution. The little porker gobbled up the food something furious! Do you have recommendations for a multivitamin that would be a good fit for him? What are people using and at what dosages?

Thanks again!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you have recommendations for a multivitamin that would be a good fit for him? What are people using and at what dosages?Thanks again!

Depending on the weight you can give 1/2 tablet if eating HC....of the "regular" centrum vitamin NOT the 50yrs n over or senior etc. Just the plain one. Mines green tablet. HK has everything in it so I skip a day just like I skip a day for coconut oil, salmon oil, glucosamine in liquid form....so she doesn't get everything in one day. It's every other day. Like mentioned in a few post, she eats fruits n veggies on regular basis so she gets natural vitamins in the extras. Plus her treats are only dry: liver, duck, beef, bison, salmon and others I cant think now lolll. Raw organs too here n there. I want her to get use to all proper foods. I started by one protein at a time, waited a month before switching for allergies. She doesn't get chicken but turkey that I boil and best part is the broth!!! Top her food with it. Best minerals you can give any dog or yourself!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.