KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Fezzik has been having a lot of problems with kibble or the environment. I'm not sure which and since he is under 2, allergy testing is not advised. His face and paws can become a deep pink.

I am taking a look at the cleaners I use, but I am also taking a look at the food.

Currently he is on the Acana duck and pear. The whole body itching has stopped and most paw licking has stopped. He does scratch his face from time to time and I am unsure if it is the scabs itching or irritation from something else.

I would like to explore home cooking as a way to limit ingredients in the diet and then add them back in. I am not quite comfortable with raw feeding yet.

Any advice on getting started. There is a lot of info to parse through. Any recipes you would recommend?

He seems reactive to chicken. I think he could do ok with pork or beef, but am unsure since Fromm has other ingredients in it.

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
I don't personally have experience in home cooking for the boys, but my mom recently started doing it for her dog (a cockapoo). She is doing 40% protein, 40% vegetables and 20% starch. That was the ratio advised by her vet (I'm not sure if it differs by breed). She literally just started a few weeks ago, but has noticed a big difference with her dog who suffers from many allergies (it's the poodle in her apparently). I think so far she's been sticking to turkey, squash & carrots and sweet potatoes & brown rice. She also adds some kind of oil supplement to the food, I'm not positive what it is though.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Fezzik has been having a lot of problems with kibble or the environment. I'm not sure which and since he is under 2, allergy testing is not advised. His face and paws can become a deep pink.

I am taking a look at the cleaners I use, but I am also taking a look at the food.

Currently he is on the Acana duck and pear. The whole body itching has stopped and most paw licking has stopped. He does scratch his face from time to time and I am unsure if it is the scabs itching or irritation from something else.

I would like to explore home cooking as a way to limit ingredients in the diet and then add them back in. I am not quite comfortable with raw feeding yet.

Any advice on getting started. There is a lot of info to parse through. Any recipes you would recommend?

He seems reactive to chicken. I think he could do ok with pork or beef, but am unsure since Fromm has other ingredients in it.

Follow my threads you will get it all.

BTW t dont use chicken but turkey. Make sure you boil a good 4 hours or so. KEEP THE BROTH!!! Best part!!!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I think you could start with the bland diet, which consists of rice (brown or white) and a protein, boiled chicken breasts or ground beef. One protein at a time. But this isnt enough nutrition so you shoudl consider supplementing with either a multivitamin (Nuvet for example) and some healthy oils: salmon, coconut, etc. I don't feed vegetables to my raw-fed dog (except sweet potato treats), but you could use lots of different veggies as filler - carrots, green beans, broccoli, cabbage (at your own risk hah). The most important thing is to start with one protein source to see how he's doing. If the acana duck is working, perhaps you just need to tweak the kibble brand a little bit more. also note that it may take a month or so for allergies to calm down once starting a new food. good luck.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Look into the honest kitchen as well. We use The Honest Kitchen base (Kindly) and we add in lean meat. Tyson has done amazing on it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online