Quinoa anyone?

Bruce303

Jan 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Anyone try feeding their bully some quinoa instead of rice? Our household eats a lot of that so I'm just curious... Thanks in advance!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
it's a minor ingredient in one of of our's kibbles. an expensive substitute for rice for the bland diet. I've never fed it directly to our dogs, though.

OP
B

Bruce303

Jan 9, 2015
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
it's a minor ingredient in one of of our's kibbles. an expensive substitute for rice for the bland diet. I've never fed it directly to our dogs, though.
Thank you for the response! I just gave Bruce two spoons with his food. It's definitely more expensive but we've recently switched from white and brown rice.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I love quinoa myself but never thought of giving the boys any. Now you got me thinking I might have to share! :rolleyes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Great for us...great for pets. It's a protein not considered as a carb as it's really a seed.

.Quinoa*(/ˈkiːnoʊ.ə/, from*Quechua*kinwa*or*kinuwa)*is a species of thegoosefoot*genus*(Chenopodium quinoa), a*grain*crop*grown primarily for its edible*seeds. It is a*pseudocereal, similar in some respects to*buckwheat, rather than a true*cereal, as it is not a member of the*true grass family. As achenopod, quinoa is closely related to species such as*beetroots,*spinach*andtumbleweeds. As a member of the*Amaranthaceae*family, it is related to and resembles*amaranth, which is also a pseudocereal. After harvest, the seeds must be processed to remove the coating containing the bitter-tastingsaponins. The seeds are in general cooked the same way as rice and can be used in a wide range of dishes. The leaves are eaten as a*leaf vegetable, much like*amaranth, but commercial availability of quinoa greens is limited.

Arcanine

Sep 21, 2016
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
no
Yes, you buddy should be able to handle some properly prepared quinoa. Start out by provding a small amount. If your dog's stomach ends up agreeing with quinoa, it could actually make for a great snack alternative since it's loaded nutrition. But keep it in mind that even though this food is very healthy, it can't replace your dog's regular dog food which should be primarily meat-based.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online