How to cook home made food

Brucey Baby

May 19, 2015
England
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Ok, I think Bruce has had an allergic reaction from the food we've put him on but my partner doesn't want to raw feed, If we cook the meat till its brown, what's the best way for the veg and rice? Could we steam the veg for a couple of minutes to soften them and keep the nutrients? (what veg is best for them?) and would we just boil the brown rice till done? Thanks

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
I see your in England, I can highly recommend simpsons wet food, you can order direct of the website, the wet food is limited ingredients. Up until a few months ago I was homecooking due to allergies, not only did I find it time consuming I was still getting problems, since changing to simpsons fingers crossed I've not had any problems, my bullie suffers weight loss issues so I just add some extra potato in with the food, to keep his weight up.
If you decide to home cook you'll also need a vitamin supplement and a calcium supplement, and transition over slowly. I bought a book called 'home cooking for your dog by Christine filardi' it really helped me get started.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
You could also try The Honest Kitchen. It is a prepared raw food. Brutus has many allergies and he is doing great on it.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Ok, I think Bruce has had an allergic reaction from the food we've put him on but my partner doesn't want to raw feed, If we cook the meat till its brown, what's the best way for the veg and rice? Could we steam the veg for a couple of minutes to soften them and keep the nutrients? (what veg is best for them?) and would we just boil the brown rice till done? Thanks

I have a rice cooker so that's how I prep the rice; boiling the brown rice is fine to do too. As far as the veggies go--many times I use frozen green beans and do not cook them, just put them in the cooked food frozen. Or I will use canned green beans straight from the can. You can steam the veggies as you said too, just not for so long to retain the nutrients. I like giving mine green beans, peas, sometimes baby carrots, zucchini, occasional broccoli.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] when you home cook do you give them a supplement in addition to nuvet and/or any other supplements? I've been giving Murray just nuvet, he's doing great but wondering if I need additional supplements

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I cook for Tank 700 grams of beef a day ( brisket or shoulder from Publix, they have nice sails up to 4-4.5 usd per pound, I cut it in cubic pieces, freeze 700 g portions and cook every day) with some sweet potato and green lentils. I feed him 2 times a day. For supplements we give him special high EPA and DHA fish oil, Vit A, Vit E, Nuvet Plus, Fortiflora for gut.
Broccoli, cauliflower and all veggies from cabbage group not very good for dogs, as they naturally inhibit thyroid function ( in people too, btw). Also, nightshade family isn't very good for dogs, like potato, aubergine and tomato. Pumpkin, sweet potato, apples, beans of all sorts are good.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] when you home cook do you give them a supplement in addition to nuvet and/or any other supplements? I've been giving Murray just nuvet, he's doing great but wondering if I need additional supplements

You can buy centrum. NOT for 50 n over the regular one. One a day with the food. I dont know what's in nuvet just double check the ingredients before adding anything.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.