DIY Fruits, Veggies, home cookies & special treats DIY???? HELP

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
So I am new to having a bully and wanted to know what fruits, Veggies, homemade cookies and Summertime treats you give your bully. Also Mia is 9 wks what fruit treat frozen/unfrozen can I give her for teething? Also how do you prepare your fruits? Do you peel apples, carrots? Thank you in advanced for all your help with this.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frozen green beans, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon (frozen makes Buster go NUTS!!), bananas, apples, cantaloupe. Just really have to watch out you don't feed them grapes, raisins and onions. Dog's digestive system is different then ours so they don't break down things like carrots, nuts etc. so we don't feed those to him because they come out whole in the poo and doesn't have any nutritional value to them. Buster loves cheese too, I think he's part :mouse: sometimes but the cheese is only for special things and not all the time.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas eats almost all fruits and veggies, I don't peel the apple, but make sure no seeds just cut up in chunks. He loves all melons/berries. Veggies he loves just about all of them but not frozen.

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Frozen green beans, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon (frozen makes Buster go NUTS!!), bananas, apples, cantaloupe. Just really have to watch out you don't feed them grapes, raisins and onions. Dog's digestive system is different then ours so they don't break down things like carrots, nuts etc. so we don't feed those to him because they come out whole in the poo and doesn't have any nutritional value to them. Buster loves cheese too, I think he's part :mouse: sometimes but the cheese is only for special things and not all the time.

Thank you for that. When did you start feeding Buster fruits and veggies?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I also wanted to add to my above response, NOT to much or they will get the runs! lol, Vegas gets half a banana, quarter of apple, about 3 strawberries etc..... Veggies they will get gas/runs, so not a whole lot of those either.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for that. When did you start feeding Buster fruits and veggies?

Since he was 9 weeks old, but just like Kelly said it's all in the amount you give her. When he was a little guy we would give him a quarter apple for the day and that's all but now he can have a half an apple but that's it for the day. It's all how they react to fruits and veggies. There's one piece of advice that has always rung true with bully's and that's, you have to always watch the poo, always if it gets to runny or gets to hard you're doing something wrong.

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
I also wanted to add to my above response, NOT to much or they will get the runs! lol, Vegas gets half a banana, quarter of apple, about 3 strawberries etc..... Veggies they will get gas/runs, so not a whole lot of those either.

Thanks you [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] I totally forgot to ask portion size.😊 thank you for reminding me I probably would have been so enthused with giving her some good treats I would have Givin almost all of the apple. Lol

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Since he was 9 weeks old, but just like Kelly said it's all in the amount you give her. When he was a little guy we would give him a quarter apple for the day and that's all but now he can have a half an apple but that's it for the day. It's all how they react to fruits and veggies. There's one piece of advice that has always rung true with bully's and that's, you have to always watch the poo, always if it gets to runny or gets to hard you're doing something wrong.

Oh ok. Great advice. 😊 well I was a pooper scooper now I'll be a poop watcher 😉.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
hahaha! Have fun mixing up the different fruits and veggies, she'll love them.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:cook:Hi Yvette, it looks like everyone's got you covered, we also give our guys the same fruits and veggies that everyone has suggested, and like Phil said hard things like carrots tend to come out the same way they went in. Lol. I gave baby carrots to my guys when they were younger, and they pooped out whole carrot bullets, so now I don't give them any raw veggies that are hard, because mine don't chew their food very well, they tend more to inhale. I give them cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. Whatever vegetable we are having for dinner, I just cook a little extra, and give them some too. I also give them a hard boiled egg once a week on the weekend. I also give cheese strings, and cottage cheese, but be careful to limit cheese, because it can cause diarrhea, and we give peanut butter as well. When you start to give her fruits, vegetables, or any new supplements its best to give or introduce one at a time for a week or so, and then only introduce new ones one at a time, that way if she were to have a reaction or an allergy reaction to a new food, you will know exactly which one caused the reaction, instead of having to eliminate and guess which one. It makes it easier. You can also make natural homemade dog cookies and treats using simple and natural ingredients like peanut butter, flour, oats, there are a lot of really good recipes on line, and also on the recipe forums. Most recipes use 4 or 5 ingredients, so are easy to make, and when you make them yourself, you know what's in them. A lot of store bought treats are full of chemicals and preservatives.

Last edited:
OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
:cook:Hi Mia, it looks like everyone's got you covered, we also give our guys the same fruits and veggies that everyone has suggested, and like Phil said hard things like carrots tend to come out the same way they went in. Lol. I gave baby carrots to my guys when they were younger, and they pooped out whole carrot bullets, so now I don't give them any raw veggies that are hard, because mine don't chew their food very well, they tend more to inhale. I give them cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. Whatever vegetable we are having for dinner, I just cook a little extra, and give them some too. I also give them a hard boiled egg once a week on the weekend. I also give cheese strings, and cottage cheese, but be careful to limit cheese, because it can cause diarrhea, and we give peanut butter as well. When you start to give her fruits, vegetables, or any new supplements its best to give or introduce one at a time for a week or so, and then only introduce new ones one at a time, that way if she were to have a reaction or an allergy reaction to a new food, you will know exactly which one caused the reaction, instead of having to eliminate and guess which one. It makes it easier. You can also make natural homemade dog cookies and treats using simple and natural ingredients like peanut butter, flour, oats, there are a lot of really good recipes on line, and also on the recipe forums. Most recipes use 4 or 5 ingredients, so are easy to make, and when you make them yourself, you know what's in them. A lot of store bought treats are full of chemicals and preservatives.

Thank you for response and also letting me know about the carrots. Ya I think I'm going to skip those as I do t want her having trouble pushing it out.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Since he is a pup, I would keep the pieced small and the portions small to start with. Another summer time treat ours like is, we take plain yogurt and mix it with peanut butter, about half and half, but mix to you taste. Then drop little bit sized pieces on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, then freeze. Once frozen, you can take them off and put in a zip lock bag and keep frozen. They love them.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
These sound so yummy David, I'm going to have to try them, oh and I'll try them with Dozer and Blossom too. Lol.
In the summertime, when we go to the ice cream parlour, we get them a kiddie size cone of frozen vanilla yogurt as a treat, and they love it, so I'm sure they will love frozen yogurt and peanut butter. Thanks for sharing.

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Since he is a pup, I would keep the pieced small and the portions small to start with. Another summer time treat ours like is, we take plain yogurt and mix it with peanut butter, about half and half, but mix to you taste. Then drop little bit sized pieces on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, then freeze. Once frozen, you can take them off and put in a zip lock bag and keep frozen. They love them.

That sounds good. Her taste buds are new to everything so I'm pretty sure she would love these. Not only that on those days where it's 100 here that is simple and fast to make for her to keep my baby girl cool. Thank you for the recipe.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hey Yvette, do you know something that we don't? I didn't know EB's had taste buds, do they even taste stuff. Lol.
Mine just inhale their food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.