vegetarian diet?

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
So we are thinking of trying a vegetarian diet until we can figure out Becca's allergies. Hoping to try a mix of brown rice and a veggie mix. Then slowly introduce one protein every other month.

Can anyone help with serving size.

She gets one cup of kibble twice a day. Would half cup rice and half cup veggie twice a day be enough?

She's 5 and weighs 63 pounds.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice!

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Did you try the vegetarian diet? I have been researching trying it now, too, as I suspect Shakespeare may be allergic to chicken (which makes of the majority of his raw fed diet).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
While figuring out Harlea's allergies we had her on pretty much a fruit and veggie diet. We use the THK Preference base mix which is only fruits and veggies and sometimes the Kindly base which is only veggies and add garbanzo beans. The great thing about THK is that when you do start to introduce animal proteins you control the type and amount without constantly having to buy new kibbles or other foods. Just buy the various meats.

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
While figuring out Harlea's allergies we had her on pretty much a fruit and veggie diet. We use the THK Preference base mix which is only fruits and veggies and sometimes the Kindly base which is only veggies and add garbanzo beans. The great thing about THK is that when you do start to introduce animal proteins you control the type and amount without constantly having to buy new kibbles or other foods. Just buy the various meats.

What kind of fruits and veggies do you give? I have only tried green Beens and bananas but only as a treat. We are thinking of making our own dog food too. And besides chicken what other meat can we try?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
For fruits and veggies we have given bananas, apples, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, strawberries, skinned kiwi, blueberries, carrots, bell pepper, peas, squash etc. As for animal protein we used, bison, rabbit, antelope, kangaroo, elk, alligator, grouse, wild boar, halibut, sea bass, dove, squirrel, emu, and ostrich to name a few.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I've had Dozer on a Limited Ingredient Vegan diet for the past 2 weeks, due to his allergies. He's been on Fromms since he was a puppy, but he is okay on a protein for a while, and then he develops an allergy to it. He was allergic to chicken and salmon right from a puppy, and then he was on Fromms Beef Frittata for 2 years, then developed an allergy to it, so we switched to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, after 9 months he developed an allergy to it as well. We are now feeding him Natures Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble, to detoxify him from all proteins, and will be switching him to Natures Variety Limited Ingredient Kangaroo. If this doesn't work, then I will be trying home cooking for him.

Besides green beans and bananas, you can also give strawberries, blueberries, cut up apples, watermelon, cooked broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Just add one at a time and for a week before trying another one, so you know which one he doesn't tolerate.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Hi, I've had Dozer on a Limited Ingredient Vegan diet for the past 2 weeks, due to his allergies. He's been on Fromms since he was a puppy, but he is okay on a protein for a while, and then he develops an allergy to it. He was allergic to chicken and salmon right from a puppy, and then he was on Fromms Beef Frittata for 2 years, then developed an allergy to it, so we switched to Fromms Lamb and Lentil, after 9 months he developed an allergy to it as well. We are now feeding him Natures Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble, to detoxify him from all proteins, and will be switching him to Natures Variety Limited Ingredient Kangaroo. If this doesn't work, then I will be trying home cooking for him.

Besides green beans and bananas, you can also give strawberries, blueberries, cut up apples, watermelon, cooked broccoli, carrots, cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Just add one at a time and for a week before trying another one, so you know which one he doesn't tolerate.

How did Dozer end up progressing? I am curious b/c Buttercup is still eating V-dog or Nature's Balance vegan kibble but I find she does even better (eyes are white instead of a little red) when I give her home cooked food. And she just loves it. I grind it in a blender because she does not chew well and otherwise her poop looks like a veggie stew. Lately I have been using a mix of quinoa and beans blended with a little raw parsley and a carrot. I also supplement our other dog's diet with this and they both love it. But I am not sure how to get a "balanced" diet with these foods. I do sometimes feed mashed sweet potato with the skin cut into small pieces and blended cooked greens or broccoli with a bean base. They also love apple slices, watermelon, berries, radishes, steamed green beans, and pretty much all fruits and veggies. Both dogs are a healthy weight and have a waist.

Looking for options as our kibble options are so limited due to her meat allergy and I want to pursue an anti-inflammatory diet to further reduce her environmental allergies (dust, pollen, LIFE...just recovering from a terrible hives outbreak after using a cedar oil-based flea spray!). I've been adding a vegetarian omega-3 supplement but am planning to try a fish oil per vet recommendation. She is allergic to fish, but maybe the oil (no protein) will be fine. Sometimes I add kelp powder or chlorophyll but it's hit or miss.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
How did Dozer end up progressing? I am curious b/c Buttercup is still eating V-dog or Nature's Balance vegan kibble but I find she does even better (eyes are white instead of a little red) when I give her home cooked food. And she just loves it. I grind it in a blender because she does not chew well and otherwise her poop looks like a veggie stew. Lately I have been using a mix of quinoa and beans blended with a little raw parsley and a carrot. I also supplement our other dog's diet with this and they both love it. But I am not sure how to get a "balanced" diet with these foods. I do sometimes feed mashed sweet potato with the skin cut into small pieces and blended cooked greens or broccoli with a bean base. They also love apple slices, watermelon, berries, radishes, steamed green beans, and pretty much all fruits and veggies. Both dogs are a healthy weight and have a waist.

Looking for options as our kibble options are so limited due to her meat allergy and I want to pursue an anti-inflammatory diet to further reduce her environmental allergies (dust, pollen, LIFE...just recovering from a terrible hives outbreak after using a cedar oil-based flea spray!). I've been adding a vegetarian omega-3 supplement but am planning to try a fish oil per vet recommendation. She is allergic to fish, but maybe the oil (no protein) will be fine. Sometimes I add kelp powder or chlorophyll but it's hit or miss.

Hi, we did try the "Novel" proteins ( kangaroo and rabbit), but he did not tolerate them, so I put him back on the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble, and then we tried the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison, which he does okay on, but still not perfect. His stools are good, he's not scratching his chest as much, but he still has problems with his ears and paw licking. Your list of veggies seem fine, but what source of protein are you using? I found with just the veggies and the Vegan kibble, Dozer lost some weight and muscle mass due to it not having enough protein, that's when I added kidney beans, scrambled eggs, and lentils. He loves this as well, but I'm worried like you that with just the vegan or the homemade diet he may not be getting enough nutrients. I also add supplements like yogurt in the morning, and coconut oil and kelp in the evening, I've read that kelp has most of the vitamins they need, but not sure if this is true or not. There are some good vitamin supplements like NuVet that can be ordered not line, or can be purchased from your vet, that may be something we can add as well. I'm still experimenting with Dozer, but for now, he gets the vegan diet for two weeks, and then the Venison for two weeks. I'm hoping by switching it up, he won't become sensitive to the Venison protein. Keeping my fingers crossed.

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
Hi, we did try the "Novel" proteins ( kangaroo and rabbit), but he did not tolerate them, so I put him back on the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan Kibble, and then we tried the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison, which he does okay on, but still not perfect. His stools are good, he's not scratching his chest as much, but he still has problems with his ears and paw licking. Your list of veggies seem fine, but what source of protein are you using? I found with just the veggies and the Vegan kibble, Dozer lost some weight and muscle mass due to it not having enough protein, that's when I added kidney beans, scrambled eggs, and lentils. He loves this as well, but I'm worried like you that with just the vegan or the homemade diet he may not be getting enough nutrients. I also add supplements like yogurt in the morning, and coconut oil and kelp in the evening, I've read that kelp has most of the vitamins they need, but not sure if this is true or not. There are some good vitamin supplements like NuVet that can be ordered not line, or can be purchased from your vet, that may be something we can add as well. I'm still experimenting with Dozer, but for now, he gets the vegan diet for two weeks, and then the Venison for two weeks. I'm hoping by switching it up, he won't become sensitive to the Venison protein. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Our vet is supportive of the vegan diet especially after she saw the improvements in Buttercup's health (dramatically improved allergies and skin and no more seizures). A vet named Dr. Ernie Ward feeds his dog a vegan diet with part kibble and part home-cooked food. I wish he would share his recipes. I feed the dogs a lot of beans as well as ground quinoa. I cook huge batches of soaked beans in my pressure cooker and freeze extra in pyrex containers to save money and reduce BPA exposure (plus they taste better than canned). If you want to reduce the gas-causing properties do multiple soaks with fresh water changed every ~4h. I just do one soak and deal with the occasional pungent toot. I like that adding veggies and some low-sugar fruits adds vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals in "natural" proportions that they do not get from even the best fortified kibble.

As for protein I am going to add lentils and then peas and split peas. Her kibble has peas or pea protein in it and she tolerates it fine. Buttercup also tolerates ground flax seed and peanut butter well. She is allergic to eggs and milk. Yogurt gave her the worst diarrhea so we are limited to plant protein sources. As long as we get her enough calories and emphasize beans and protein-rich quinoa I think she will get enough protein. I would like to try oats, brown rice, and other types of nuts and seeds but this will probably be down the line as I don't want to introduce more than one new grain or protein at a time.

An experienced home cook shared her recipe for home-cooked dog food with me. I will try to dig it up and post it here as soon as I find it. It looked good and a lot more balanced than the simple meals I make.

I think whole foods are probably better than kibble as long as the micro and macronutrients are balanced. I am not a huge fan of synthetic supplements as some of them (like synthetic folic acid) may encourage the growth of breast and other tumors. I am not opposed to supplements (and they do make "food-based" supplements with more physiologic vitamin and mineral levels), but I want to try to get as many of her nutrients from her food as we can. Kibble is fortified and fortunately she seems to tolerate all the veggies we've tried really well. I hope she will tolerate fish oil but if not I will continue the algae-based omega-3 fatty acid supplement. If we stop the kibble I will also add vitamin D3 in addition to the kelp flakes and seek more recommendations to see what else we might be missing.

We have an appointment with a holistic vet coming up and I hope she will have some experience prescribing a balanced vegan diet in dogs. I'll share if I learn anything useful.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Our vet is supportive of the vegan diet especially after she saw the improvements in Buttercup's health (dramatically improved allergies and skin and no more seizures). A vet named Dr. Ernie Ward feeds his dog a vegan diet with part kibble and part home-cooked food. I wish he would share his recipes. I feed the dogs a lot of beans as well as ground quinoa. I cook huge batches of soaked beans in my pressure cooker and freeze extra in pyrex containers to save money and reduce BPA exposure (plus they taste better than canned). If you want to reduce the gas-causing properties do multiple soaks with fresh water changed every ~4h. I just do one soak and deal with the occasional pungent toot. I like that adding veggies and some low-sugar fruits adds vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals in "natural" proportions that they do not get from even the best fortified kibble.

As for protein I am going to add lentils and then peas and split peas. Her kibble has peas or pea protein in it and she tolerates it fine. Buttercup also tolerates ground flax seed and peanut butter well. She is allergic to eggs and milk. Yogurt gave her the worst diarrhea so we are limited to plant protein sources. As long as we get her enough calories and emphasize beans and protein-rich quinoa I think she will get enough protein. I would like to try oats, brown rice, and other types of nuts and seeds but this will probably be down the line as I don't want to introduce more than one new grain or protein at a time.

An experienced home cook shared her recipe for home-cooked dog food with me. I will try to dig it up and post it here as soon as I find it. It looked good and a lot more balanced than the simple meals I make.

I think whole foods are probably better than kibble as long as the micro and macronutrients are balanced. I am not a huge fan of synthetic supplements as some of them (like synthetic folic acid) may encourage the growth of breast and other tumors. I am not opposed to supplements (and they do make "food-based" supplements with more physiologic vitamin and mineral levels), but I want to try to get as many of her nutrients from her food as we can. Kibble is fortified and fortunately she seems to tolerate all the veggies we've tried really well. I hope she will tolerate fish oil but if not I will continue the algae-based omega-3 fatty acid supplement. If we stop the kibble I will also add vitamin D3 in addition to the kelp flakes and seek more recommendations to see what else we might be missing.

We have an appointment with a holistic vet coming up and I hope she will have some experience prescribing a balanced vegan diet in dogs. I'll share if I learn anything useful.

thanks so much for your information. I would definitely be interested in the recipe if you can find it, and also any other recipes you yourself use. That's what I love about this site, we all learn from each other.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi guys, sorry to know that your babies have troubles with allergy. I would like to share with you my experience, as I think going vegan is a bit too extreme for dogs, as their gastrointestinal tract isn't suited for digestion of veggies, and I believe, you will very soon face problem with lack of nutrients, which manifests with skin problems very similar to allergy-caused skin problems, and you won't be able to understand, which skin problems are caused with allergy, and which is caused with nutrients. Even if you use non- allergic kibble, made from hydrolysed soy protein, it is not complete, and it is highly unlikely that you will get success in the long run.
My dog started to have problems with skin around 5 months ago and developed severe skin problems 3.5 months ago. Interdigital cysts, red eyes and chin, sores in nose rope and under eyes, bold patches all over his back, stinky paws from yeast.
First I was changing kibble, first various Acana, then gastrointestinal and hypoallergenic Royal Canine. No success. My boy was rotting alive. I can post pics for you, if you want.
Various vets, various advice. My attic is full of started bags of dog kibble worth at least 600 USD. Boxes of different shampoos and ointments. No result.
I started home cook. It became a bit better, but still not well.
Finally, South African vet (bully vet and bully owner herself) I talked on Skype proposes us diagnosis of "Leaky gut syndrome", and administers antibiotic, as she told us, that at the moment there is havoc in his gut, and bad bacteria are overgrowing. In 2 weeks his sores cleaned and he stopped shedding. She also recommended us special Omega3 rich supplement, made in South Africa Efazol plus, it is a special nutritional aid for the management of Omega3 responsive skin conditions ( and a LOT of skin conditions in dogs are because of lack of Omega3 or Zinc in food). Efazol Plus contains high amount of essential fatty acids EPA and DHA in proportion Omega6:Omega3 = 1.5:1.0 ratio and Zinc. I don't know if it is available in the USA, but I am sure that something of that sort should be available. Also I give him 20 ml of simple fish oil in his food.
I feed him now fresh non-cooked beef with boiled potato.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
The idea behind this Leaky gut syndrome is that due to improper food, or infection or other reasons, the intestinal wall becomes too permeable, and because digestion is affected, partially broken molecules of protein go into blood and cause bad immune overreaction, allergy.
Treatment after we will be done with antibiotics will be 1. High omega3 supplement 2. Beneficial gut bacteria to restore balance of gut microbes 3. Digestive enzymes to help digestion 4. Glutamine - believed to help healing the intestinal wall.
I already started with Glutamin supplement and enzymes.
May be, ask your vet what they think about this leaky gut syndrome. One tip for you, usually in blood samples when dog has real allergy, eosinophils are high, but my dog didn't have high eosinophils, so it wasn't really a true allergy, but rather something else causing skin problems.
I think that there is no way Bulldogs can eat commercial food. Too special breed. I also strongly believe, that commercial food ruins their digestive system as it is too concentrated and contains too many ingredients. And allergy tests are usually not compelling, as there is no test for all what they include in that commercial dog food. I think rather than going vegan, you should choose one type of meat (I wouldn't go for bird meat, rather beef or venison), choose one vegetable. Meat you can give raw, veggie boil a bit and mash. Cooking doesn't take long, just to cut meat in blocks or mash it in food processor and boil veggies, then pack it in zipper bags and freeze, takes 1 -1.5 hour a week for me. It is not a high price for seeing my dog healthy.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.