Thread: fresh veggies with his kibble , loving it but drinking hardly any water?

Doggie Boutique Owner FORDE'SMOM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Default fresh veggies with his kibble , loving it but drinking hardly any water?

hi hope everyone is doing great!! forde is on fromm salmon tunalini right now, i have decided to start adding fresh veggies to it, reducing his kibble from a cup to half a cup, twice a day ......i add broccoli, cauliflower,green beans, carrots, apple, corn and sometimes squash, he absolutely loves this....thing is he is hardly drinking any water at all....is this an okay thing? I know he's getting water from the fresh cooked veggies...but want to make sure i'm not doing anything to harm him patiently waiting

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: fresh veggies with his kibble , loving it but drinking hardly any water?

I'm sure you are right, it's because of the addition of the veggies to his diet. I would just keep an eye on him to see if he starts acting different. It's good to see you!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: fresh veggies with his kibble , loving it but drinking hardly any water?

Agreed --- the veggies are giving him what he needs and he will drink when he really wants/needs to.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Should be fine. Just keep an eye out for signs of dehydration - dry nose, sticky gums, etc. If you want to increase his water intake, you can try to give him ice for treats. My dogs think ice is bacon-bits - they love it.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

5. Likes Evilo liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I wish Ftse would eat veg's good to see you.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all .... you guys are the best ! Forde has never been so excited over anything as he is these veggies......I'm hoping it will help him even more with allergies etc !

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, my Dozer doesn't seem to drink a lot of water either, he's been like that since a puppy, so I add warm water to the kibble at each feeding, enough to cover the kibble. It makes the kibble moist, and kind of makes a gravy, but I feel better doing this because he gets the extra water.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

That's an interesting observation, @FORDE'SMOM. I recently switched from home cooking to dry kibble in the last month (I like to change things up so they and I do not get bored), and I noticed a big increase in the boys' water consumption. I'm thinking it's b/c the kibble is just making them thirstier. When they ate rice/veggies/meat, they did not drink so much. So like others have said, sounds like the addition of the veggies to Forde's food is just making him not as thirsty for the water.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Forde
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cali baker View Post
    That's an interesting observation, @FORDE'SMOM. I recently switched from home cooking to dry kibble in the last month (I like to change things up so they and I do not get bored), and I noticed a big increase in the boys' water consumption. I'm thinking it's b/c the kibble is just making them thirstier. When they ate rice/veggies/meat, they did not drink so much. So like others have said, sounds like the addition of the veggies to Forde's food is just making him not as thirsty for the water.
    Forde use to drink a lot of water......until the fresh veggies thing....interesting for sure

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FORDE'SMOM View Post
    hi hope everyone is doing great!! forde is on fromm salmon tunalini right now, i have decided to start adding fresh veggies to it, reducing his kibble from a cup to half a cup, twice a day ......i add broccoli, cauliflower,green beans, carrots, apple, corn and sometimes squash, he absolutely loves this....thing is he is hardly drinking any water at all....is this an okay thing? I know he's getting water from the fresh cooked veggies...but want to make sure i'm not doing anything to harm him patiently waiting
    Meatball isn't a big drinker. Veggies in food? What do you do cook and mix? Raw? Would like to try with Meatball. Any gas with broccoli? Meatball might like the change.

Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily
    Likes (Received)

Lily doesn't drink a lot of water. I do find that when I give her the dry kibble then she will drink more water.

Remove Ads