Help can i leave carbs out of home cooking?

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie from the uk and could really do with some help. I have a 16 month old bulldog named spike. Up until June he was was being fed on royal cannin bulldog until they changed the formula and that's when are problems began we have try'd various different foods without success, we have recently had him allergy tested and it turns out there is no commercial dog food in the uk that spike can have, he's allergic to: rice, corn, wheat, yeast, oats, peas, white fish and blue fish. His allergy symptoms are itching, hind leg and paw licking, red eyes, pimples under his chin and he smells! Due to his smell I am wondering if he's got a yeast problem as well. For the past 2 weeks I've been feeding him a cooked diet which so far he seems to be doing ok, but I'm struggling with the carb side, I don't want to keep giving him white potato or sweet potato just in case he builds an allergen to them, I was wondering if I could just give him meat & veg for a couple of weeks, and if so how much meat and how much veg per serving? He weighs around 48lb and I feed him twice a day, I'm supplementing his diet with multivitamins, salmon oil and ground egg shell. I would really appreciate some help and ideasxx

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: and welcome to EBN..... if he 'smell' and you suspect yeats (corn chips smell)... stop the white potato, they do add to the yeast issue. Add some Apple Cider vinager to his water to help and you can also use it as a rinse on his fur to help with the yeatsies.

I tagged some members that do home cook and/or feed raw -- they may be able to give you some guideance.

good luck and please post some pictures of your boy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes you can do without the starch, maybe try some lentils instead. Start with just a few ingredients and work on new ones as you go. Make sure you give a doggie multivitamin too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I had to read up on your question a little and found some interesting info. So turns out it is indeed fine to leave out carbs from a dog's diet. Although, carbs are a very good source of energy so that's a postive about having carbs stay in the diet. But, yes, Spike will be okay with eating a diet in protein and veggies, and as suggested, a good multivitamin supplement. Maybe you can go with 1/2 cup ground beef and 1/2 cup broccoli, and 1/2 cup of black or kidney beans? Can he have cottage cheese? if so, you can add a little of that on top. I would switch things up, like give him a whole egg with some veggies and beans on some days, then the meat and veggies on other days. Check his energy levels throughout the two weeks that you'll be doing this. Let us know how he does!

OP
Bendy

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thank you all for your replies, first of all the smell seems to be coming from his eye wrinkle area, it's like a sweet sickly smell, it started when his reaction started his eye wrinkles also went sore and the fur in that area fell out, I have been using malacetic wipes for the past few months and thankfully they are no longer sore and the fur has grown back, there's no sign of yeast growth it's just the smell. I will try adding some ACV to his water and see if that helps, which leads me to another question, since spike's been on home cooked food he barley seems to drink water is this normal? I have started to add a small amount of water to his food as a precaution, when he was on dry kibble he use to drink at least 2-3 bowls of water per day.
I'm not sure if spike can have lentils or kidney beans as they seem to be related to the pea family and he's allergic to peas, I also forgot to mention he's allergic to soya, can't understand how he's ended up allergic to all these things as prior to royal canin changing their formula he was eating things with rice, wheat etc in with no ill effects. They changed the formula around may/June and that's when his reactions began.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi and welcome to the forum! There's a good chance that the allergy test resulted in some false positives. I suggest try one new ingredient at the time, especially if it's something you think he's allergic to. It's alway a trial and error with our sensitive guys. Good luck!

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Thank you all for your replies, first of all the smell seems to be coming from his eye wrinkle area, it's like a sweet sickly smell, it started when his reaction started his eye wrinkles also went sore and the fur in that area fell out, I have been using malacetic wipes for the past few months and thankfully they are no longer sore and the fur has grown back, there's no sign of yeast growth it's just the smell. I will try adding some ACV to his water and see if that helps, which leads me to another question, since spike's been on home cooked food he barley seems to drink water is this normal? I have started to add a small amount of water to his food as a precaution, when he was on dry kibble he use to drink at least 2-3 bowls of water per day.
I'm not sure if spike can have lentils or kidney beans as they seem to be related to the pea family and he's allergic to peas, I also forgot to mention he's allergic to soya, can't understand how he's ended up allergic to all these things as prior to royal canin changing their formula he was eating things with rice, wheat etc in with no ill effects. They changed the formula around may/June and that's when his reactions began.

I had that same problem too when I started feeding Howie home cooked meals. There a days when he doesn't drink water. I know there a lot of salt content in kibble a and that's why they drank so much water. The only way to get him to drink a bowl of water per day is when he plays too hard or after he chews on his antler/ Dino bones. I have also started putting basil (instead of salt) in his food too.

OP
Bendy

Bendy

Feb 23, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
Thanks for the advice, he doesn't seem to be drinking any water at all, I've made up some ice treats with bits of fruit in which he loves, I'll just keep adding water into his meals as a precaution.

Deestar

Mar 2, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lucy's on home cooking and she hardly drinks any water. I thought I read somewhere that it's normal because there is water in the meat and rice, etc.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.