can someone help me. home cooking

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
I think i wanna start home cooking for chesty.. he as such bad allergies to everything i swear so i think home cooking would be better for him so i know whats going into his food. but i have no idea what to cook for him, do you season there food too just to give it flavor?? or do they not care about that...i have no idea what to cook for him i just know he is gluten free and chicken free and potato free. but i want to make sure he is getting all of his nutriance. Can someone help me??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged Henny for you.... She home cooks for her two handsome devils

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Katie, I don't have a lot of experience with home cooking, but I do home cook some of my two guys meals. My female Blossom has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We feed our guys Fromm's Beef Frittata, but I also home cook for them for 1 week a month. I always use beef because its the only protien that Blossom tolerates. I take 4 or 5 lbs of lean ground sirloin from Costco, and I place it in a sauté pan, I brown the beef with water, no oil, and some beef broth, I add a whole bag of frozen California Mix vegetables with broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, I also add green beans, and kidney beans, I cook 2 cups of rice and add this to the mixture. Since Chesty needs Gluten free, you could use brown rice. Where I'm not experienced is knowing which nutrients, vitamins, or minerals need to be added to home cooked food, and since I only use home cooked food for 1 week once a month, and they eat kibble the other 3 weeks, I don't worry about it because they get these in the kibble, plus we supplement yogurt, Omega oils, and apple cider vinegar to their daily kibble.
You can go to the food and nutrition forum on this site, and there are lots of home cooked recipes that members have posted, and some members with more experience with home cooking will be along soon to offer you more advice and suggestions. I found a lot of good recipes for home made dog food on line as well. Good luck.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi Katie!

Yes, I DO indeed cook for my two handsome devils! (thanks Christine) :)

you can start off as white rice as your foundation. From there, add a protein that Chesty would like. I use ground beef often, but I also change things up by using other proteins like shredded chicken breast, ground turkey, chopped up lamb or pork. Yesterday I made a big batch of rice and ground beef/ground pork combo. Then you can add veggies such as string beans or chopped up carrots. I also add a can of beans--i have several that I rotate with: black beans, pinto beans, garbanzo, white navy beans. I mix all the ingredients up and put it in a big tupperware container. I feed about 1 cup twice a day. On occasion, I will add some shredded cheese, or a scrambled egg on top. For both boys, this batch will last 4.5 days or so.

Rice is gluten free so you can use that as your carbohydrate. You can also use brown rice if you prefer, tho that has more fiber in it, or a combo of the two.

Hope this will help you and do let me know how it goes!

OP
Katielyn

Katielyn

Sep 15, 2013
PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester Winston (Chesty)
Thanks for the info (: i'm hoping to start home cooking in the next couuple weeks. I need to buy a food proceser so i can puree his vegtables because he won't eat them whole..such a spoiled puppy he is!

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hi Katie!

Yes, I DO indeed cook for my two handsome devils! (thanks Christine) :)

you can start off as white rice as your foundation. From there, add a protein that Chesty would like. I use ground beef often, but I also change things up by using other proteins like shredded chicken breast, ground turkey, chopped up lamb or pork. Yesterday I made a big batch of rice and ground beef/ground pork combo. Then you can add veggies such as string beans or chopped up carrots. I also add a can of beans--i have several that I rotate with: black beans, pinto beans, garbanzo, white navy beans. I mix all the ingredients up and put it in a big tupperware container. I feed about 1 cup twice a day. On occasion, I will add some shredded cheese, or a scrambled egg on top. For both boys, this batch will last 4.5 days or so.

Rice is gluten free so you can use that as your carbohydrate. You can also use brown rice if you prefer, tho that has more fiber in it, or a combo of the two.

Hope this will help you and do let me know how it goes!
Can I butt in and ask a couple of questions?
Do the veg and canned beans etc need to be puréed? Or can they eat them in regular pieces?
The meat is it boiled or how is it best cooked?
What supplements do you need to give with a home cooked diet?
Thanks any help would be appreciated I was considering raw but I kinda like the sound of home cooked for my bulldog.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Can I butt in and ask a couple of questions?
Do the veg and canned beans etc need to be puréed? Or can they eat them in regular pieces?
The meat is it boiled or how is it best cooked?
What supplements do you need to give with a home cooked diet?
Thanks any help would be appreciated I was considering raw but I kinda like the sound of home cooked for my bulldog.

Hi Olive, glad you butt-ed in! :)

You do not need to puree the veggies or beans; if I use frozen green beans I usually break them apart if they are very long pieces, otherwise mine are fine eating them whole.
I usually pan fry the ground meat in no oil since it has its own fat and juices to cook in, then I will drain off the excess fat.
I give my boys a Nuvet vitamin daily and fish oil too

Hope this helps!

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hi Olive, glad you butt-ed in! :)

You do not need to puree the veggies or beans; if I use frozen green beans I usually break them apart if they are very long pieces, otherwise mine are fine eating them whole.
I usually pan fry the ground meat in no oil since it has its own fat and juices to cook in, then I will drain off the excess fat.
I give my boys a Nuvet vitamin daily and fish oil too

Hope this helps!
Thank you yes it's very helpful I think this might be the way I will go I am very nervous about raw so if cooking is ok then I can deal better with that. I would like to get away from dry kibble as I'd rather know what my dog is eating.
I thought of another question though do you brush your boys teeth? I was told by the vet that on wet food ( which cooked is ) that they get dental problems.

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Thank you yes it's very helpful I think this might be the way I will go I am very nervous about raw so if cooking is ok then I can deal better with that. I would like to get away from dry kibble as I'd rather know what my dog is eating.
I thought of another question though do you brush your boys teeth? I was told by the vet that on wet food ( which cooked is ) that they get dental problems.

I just recently started home cooking for Radar -- don't forget to add some calcium to the home cooked diet -- I use Bone Meal that I buy from Amazon. I don't brush Radar's teeth he chews on his Elk Antler to keep his chompers pearly white

UgaJohnson

Nov 7, 2016
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Uga
How do you keep their teeth clean if they aren't eating kibble? I don't want Uga's teethto be yucky.
I just this week started home cooking for my little girl. She LOVES it & now she won't leave me alone any time I'm in the kitchen!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How do you keep their teeth clean if they aren't eating kibble? I don't want Uga's teethto be yucky.
I just this week started home cooking for my little girl. She LOVES it & now she won't leave me alone any time I'm in the kitchen!

Raw marrow bones help with the teeth.. I also give moose paddles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I don't home cook. I am considering it. My vet recommended a site called balanceit. Basically it will let you pick ingredients to make sure it is a balanced meal.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks for the info (: i'm hoping to start home cooking in the next couuple weeks. I need to buy a food proceser so i can puree his vegtables because he won't eat them whole..such a spoiled puppy he is!

I also home cook for Nyala. If you follow me you will see photos and how I bag them for the freezer. Very easy. In the beginning I thought it was going to be overwhelming. But its not bad at all. I wouldn't puree the veggies. You cant overcook veggies or it looses all nutritional value. You need to give supplements if you cook food!!! And/or top with organs.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Google dogaware home cooking for great info on home cooking for dogs. There is also imformation about other types of feeding and dog care in general in a very informative and neutral way.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.