Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Slow Cooking

  1. #1
    Dog Park Attendant Susie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    402
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Slow Cooking

    Okay, calling all EB cooking experts, this is a stupid question but I am not sure. As you know I am just started cooking for my fur baby. Does anyone here use their slow cooker to cook for their EB? If you do, can I ask a stupid question? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Dog Park Attendant Susie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    402
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    Okay. Looks like no one here use a slow cooker to cook homemade dog food for their dogs. Maybe you can answer this question. I have seen online that some people do use slow cooker but they don't mention if I am supposed to pre cook the meat before I put it into the slow cooker. Does any know?

  3. #3
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,630
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6652

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    I don't make my own dog food, but the purpose of a slow cooker is to cook the meat over a period of time-such as setting it at night, and it would be cooked by morning, making it tender. If you do that, you would start with the meat raw. someone who makes their own, will probably be on....to tell you more.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  4. #4
    Rescue Volunteer
    Real Name
    Dave
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Slidell, Louisiana, United States
    Posts
    1,718
    Bulldog(s) Names
    "The Stallone Bros"
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    I use one all the time, and there's a prep time to most recipe's, and in the prep time calls from browning some meats and etc. Rocky and Rambo are on regular kibble, but I often use a slow cooker for my meals. Just yesterday was Red Beans and Rice, plus smoked Sausage, Good for dinner and a hot lunch the next day, i don't know what I'd do without mine on my schedule.

  5. #5
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    When I use my slow cooker it depends what I'm making… sometimes I will put raw chicken in for a recipe, but usually w/ground beef recipes I brown the meat prior. It really depends on how much time you want it to cook…

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  6. #6
    Dog Park Attendant Susie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    402
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    I use my slow cooker "crock pot" for chili and normally, I have to pre-cook the ground beef which will take 6 to 8 hours on slow setting.

    This is one example of the sites that I was checking out.
    http://thebark.com/content/dog-food-...ken-brown-rice

    FYI, I use ground beef instead of chicken.

    Thank you folks for your advice so far.

  7. #7
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,722
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5562

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by Susie View Post
    I use my slow cooker "crock pot" for chili and normally, I have to pre-cook the ground beef which will take 6 to 8 hours on slow setting.

    This is one example of the sites that I was checking out.
    http://thebark.com/content/dog-food-...ken-brown-rice

    FYI, I use ground beef instead of chicken.

    Thank you folks for your advice so far.
    This looks easy… Thanks for sharing!!!

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  8. #8
    Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Posts
    1,491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    There are 2 reasons to brown ground meat or sear meat chunks before slow cooking:
    1.). To dispose off extra fat (especially in low grade ground beef)
    2.). To develop a complex flavor (searing meat pieces locks in meat juices and prevents seasoning from overpowering it)

    Browning ground meat also gives the added benefit of preventing clumping which is not desirable for a dish like chili.

    So, unless you need to get rid of extra grease, there's no need to Pre-cook meat before putting in the crock pot as bullys are not that particular to complex flavor.

    Hope this helps.

    I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

  9. #9
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,361
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2310
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    I use a crock pot most times so I can stick it outdoors and not heat up the house in the summer.

    I cook the beans in the crock for about 4-5 hours with water.

    Yes I boil my hamburger before I put it in the crock, otherwise there is way too much fat. I boil it about half cooked.

    First I add my pasta or rice to the beans, then I add the hamburger on top. Then I top it all with some veggies ( Normandy mix frozen from Costco usually ). Cook another 2 hours and it's done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  10. #10
    Dog Park Attendant Susie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    402
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    There are 2 reasons to brown ground meat or sear meat chunks before slow cooking:
    1.). To dispose off extra fat (especially in low grade ground beef)
    2.). To develop a complex flavor (searing meat pieces locks in meat juices and prevents seasoning from overpowering it)

    Browning ground meat also gives the added benefit of preventing clumping which is not desirable for a dish like chili.

    So, unless you need to get rid of extra grease, there's no need to Pre-cook meat before putting in the crock pot as bullys are not that particular to complex flavor.

    Hope this helps.
    Thank you, that makes sense a lot of sense. So with lean meat, I don't think I have to worry about the fat. I think they need some fat in their system.

  11. #11
    Dog Park Attendant Susie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    402
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Howie
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    I use a crock pot most times so I can stick it outdoors and not heat up the house in the summer.

    I cook the beans in the crock for about 4-5 hours with water.

    Yes I boil my hamburger before I put it in the crock, otherwise there is way too much fat. I boil it about half cooked.

    First I add my pasta or rice to the beans, then I add the hamburger on top. Then I top it all with some veggies ( Normandy mix frozen from Costco usually ). Cook another 2 hours and it's done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Thank you. Well, that pose another question about beans. How much water do I need to put on the crock? Instead of brown rice, I want to use lentils or peas. I see that with rice, the recommendation is 2 cups but about the beans? If I use 2 cups, how much water do I add to the crock?

  12. #12
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,361
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2310
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Slow Cooking

    I add enough to have an inch over the beans as they absorb a lot of it


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •