Slow Cooking

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Okay, calling all EB cooking experts, this is a stupid question but I am not sure. As you know I am just started cooking for my fur baby. Does anyone here use their slow cooker to cook for their EB? If you do, can I ask a stupid question? Thanks.

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Okay. Looks like no one here use a slow cooker to cook homemade dog food for their dogs. Maybe you can answer this question. I have seen online that some people do use slow cooker but they don't mention if I am supposed to pre cook the meat before I put it into the slow cooker. Does any know?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I don't make my own dog food, but the purpose of a slow cooker is to cook the meat over a period of time-such as setting it at night, and it would be cooked by morning, making it tender. If you do that, you would start with the meat raw. someone who makes their own, will probably be on....to tell you more.

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
I use one all the time, and there's a prep time to most recipe's, and in the prep time calls from browning some meats and etc. Rocky and Rambo are on regular kibble, but I often use a slow cooker for my meals. Just yesterday was Red Beans and Rice, plus smoked Sausage, Good for dinner and a hot lunch the next day, i don't know what I'd do without mine on my schedule.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
When I use my slow cooker it depends what I'm making… sometimes I will put raw chicken in for a recipe, but usually w/ground beef recipes I brown the meat prior. It really depends on how much time you want it to cook…

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
There are 2 reasons to brown ground meat or sear meat chunks before slow cooking:
1.). To dispose off extra fat (especially in low grade ground beef)
2.). To develop a complex flavor (searing meat pieces locks in meat juices and prevents seasoning from overpowering it)

Browning ground meat also gives the added benefit of preventing clumping which is not desirable for a dish like chili.

So, unless you need to get rid of extra grease, there's no need to Pre-cook meat before putting in the crock pot as bullys are not that particular to complex flavor.

Hope this helps.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use a crock pot most times so I can stick it outdoors and not heat up the house in the summer.

I cook the beans in the crock for about 4-5 hours with water.

Yes I boil my hamburger before I put it in the crock, otherwise there is way too much fat. I boil it about half cooked.

First I add my pasta or rice to the beans, then I add the hamburger on top. Then I top it all with some veggies ( Normandy mix frozen from Costco usually ). Cook another 2 hours and it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
There are 2 reasons to brown ground meat or sear meat chunks before slow cooking:
1.). To dispose off extra fat (especially in low grade ground beef)
2.). To develop a complex flavor (searing meat pieces locks in meat juices and prevents seasoning from overpowering it)

Browning ground meat also gives the added benefit of preventing clumping which is not desirable for a dish like chili.

So, unless you need to get rid of extra grease, there's no need to Pre-cook meat before putting in the crock pot as bullys are not that particular to complex flavor.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, that makes sense a lot of sense. So with lean meat, I don't think I have to worry about the fat. I think they need some fat in their system.

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
I use a crock pot most times so I can stick it outdoors and not heat up the house in the summer.

I cook the beans in the crock for about 4-5 hours with water.

Yes I boil my hamburger before I put it in the crock, otherwise there is way too much fat. I boil it about half cooked.

First I add my pasta or rice to the beans, then I add the hamburger on top. Then I top it all with some veggies ( Normandy mix frozen from Costco usually ). Cook another 2 hours and it's done.

Thank you. Well, that pose another question about beans. How much water do I need to put on the crock? Instead of brown rice, I want to use lentils or peas. I see that with rice, the recommendation is 2 cups but about the beans? If I use 2 cups, how much water do I add to the crock?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I add enough to have an inch over the beans as they absorb a lot of it

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
@desertskybulldogs, do you ever smash the beans with a blender before mixing with the meat? I read someway, it's faster.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.