Homemade dog food

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Hello folks, I need your advice. I started cooking for Howie this week. I need to know at what temperature should I be serving him. I read somewhere that it has be to room temperature. Is that correct? And for how long should I leave at room temperature before I serve? Isn't there a concern about ecoli poisoning?

Thank you in advice for your advices.

oops, sorry for the bad typing on the subject line. I meant food.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Re: Homemade dog good

Hello Susie. I'm going to tag a couple of people for you that home cook so they can answer your questions better than I can. I'm going to move this to the home cooking section too as you may get more help in that section. :) I'll fix the title too. :up:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hello folks, I need your advice. I started cooking for Howie this week. I need to know at what temperature should I be serving him. I read somewhere that it has be to room temperature. Is that correct? And for how long should I leave at room temperature before I serve? Isn't there a concern about ecoli poisoning?

What I do is, I make a big batch of their food…about 5 days worth, keep it in the fridge, then I will warm up each portion in the microwave for 1 minute. I allow it to cool off to not quite room temperature…usually serving the food just slightly warm (never hot, of course). Sometimes it will get to room temp b/c i may be chopping up extra veggies and by that time the food has cooled somewhat. I don't think you need to worry about bacterial poisoning unless you leave the food out for a long period of time, and I've read that if it's more than 2 hours then the food should be discarded.

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie

Hello Susie. I'm going to tag a couple of people for you that home cook so they can answer your questions better than I can. I'm going to move this to the home cooking section too as you may get more help in that section. :) I'll fix the title too. :up:

Thank you very much, JeannieCO. One finger typing on an iPad can be an issue ;)

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
What I do is, I make a big batch of their food…about 5 days worth, keep it in the fridge, then I will warm up each portion in the microwave for 1 minute. I allow it to cool off to not quite room temperature…usually serving the food just slightly warm (never hot, of course). Sometimes it will get to room temp b/c i may be chopping up extra veggies and by that time the food has cooled somewhat. I don't think you need to worry about bacterial poisoning unless you leave the food out for a long period of time, and I've read that if it's more than 2 hours then the food should be discarded.

Thank you Cali Baker. Right now I microwave for 30 seconds and still mixing his kibble for the slow transition. I will definitely try it for a minute and while I take him outside, it should be cool by the time we come back to the house.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I heat mine up and let it sit for just a few minutes to cool off (maybe about 5 or so) then serve warm. I do not want it sitting too long and of course not too hot to burn a greedy bully tongue :p

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

Thank you very much, JeannieCO. One finger typing on an iPad can be an issue ;)
I feel your pain, lol. I type with one finger ony phone. I have a keyboard fort iPad.

I see you're getting some help now too. :up:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

I too would make about 5 days worth, I would mix the homemade with kibble at their meal time, stir it up real good and the room temp of the kibble would bring the cold food temp up. I would only serve it warm when I made it fresh that day. Just out of convenience for me having 5 dogs at meal time takes more than a few minutes :whew:

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
Thank you ladies for all your advices. I do have another question. Do you cook with lean meat or regular (with fat) meat?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you ladies for all your advices. I do have another question. Do you cook with lean meat or regular (with fat) meat?

If I make ground beef I usually get the regular kind and just drain off the fat. If I'm making lamb or pork or other cuts of meat I will trim the fat off .

OP
Susie

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
If I make ground beef I usually get the regular kind and just drain off the fat. If I'm making lamb or pork or other cuts of meat I will trim the fat off .

Hello, Cali baker, is fat bad for them?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello, Cali baker, is fat bad for them?

Too much fat is not a good thing for a bully's diet b/c that equals extra weight gain. A little fat is okay, we all need some. I trim off the visible fat from the meat, and drain the fat from ground beef as best as possible but i'm not obsessive about it...if there's still some in there it's okay. Plus, a little fat adds some flavor to the food.;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.