Need advice on homemade grain free dog food

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
So I came across this article a lady wrote about her dog having allergies to dog foods and she did bulk wise for a month of homemade grain free dog food.
Here is what she puts in her bulk she plays around with veggies so you can add different ones and she keeps three 24oz containers in the fridge and the rest in the freezer and thaws when needs more. Should I add any vitamins? if so what? and should I be adding garlic powder to that?? I would use beef instead of turkey will that be ok and also how much should I feed her daily and how many times? She's 50 lbs. I just want our baby back to normal. :(

12 lbs. meat (we use ground turkey usually)
1- 2lb. bag of carrots
6- 1lb. bags of green beans
1- 10lb. bag of potatoes

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i moved this to the home cooking section so perhaps there will be more input. ive just started homecooking for sarah so im no expert but i believe you should be giving a multi vitamin if you are home cooking to make sure that they are getting all the vitamins they need. which one well i just ordered one called pet tabs and im sure its not the best but i need time to investigate but i think most here use nuvet which sarah cant have due to the alfalfa in it. im not sure bout garlic powder i dont use that for sarah if your giving garlic for fleas perhaps then use a clove and mash it up and put it on the food. yes you can use beef instead of turkey and i was told to feed how much you were feeding in kibble. sarah was eating 2/3 cup am and pm but i had to bump it to one cup am and pm with the home cooked. depends on your dog and if they gain or lose weight. at 50 lbs id say one cup am and pm to start out. i feed mine 2 times a day but it depends on the age of the dog. [MENTION=5924]gypsysmommy[/MENTION]

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
For the boys I've been using rice instead of potatoes (for the starch); potatoes can be allergenic to some bullies. They get easily broken down to sugars which can promote yeast. So I combine white or brown rice or a combo of the two, either ground beef or ground turkey, green beans, a spoonful of black beans or kidney beans; top it all off with either plain yogurt or cottage cheese. Sometimes I will use pork for the protein (like a lean boneless pork), sometimes I'll do a beef steak instead of the ground beef. If I'm only feeding them the home cooking in place of kibble, it's about 1.5 cups twice a day; other days I combine 1/2 kibble with 1/2 home cooking.

ebulldoglover

Jul 13, 2013
Vermont
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona
I have found that a diet that not only addresses the major allergins (grains/poultry), but the foods that create the least amount of heat in the body. Since the bulldog has diminished capacity to cool themselves anyway, we want to feed them foods that are cooling. I did post previously about my home cooked diet now used for 4 years with many dogs. I do not feed potatoes at all, nor grains. I tried brown rice/white rice/barley, however the way that the sugars break down causes allergies, do none of them. The other culpret is poultry. I only feed the organ meats from chicken and turkey and not often. Fish is youre friend, sardines, cod, salmon, mackarel. I do not feed the same protein twice in a row. It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't. Yesterday I prepared enough food for three weeks in about 2 hours. For anyone who does not have the time or desire, I do sell it commercially and ship it frozen. I went to the vet last week to pick up heartworm meds and we laughed about how they never see us anymore. Fine with me!

OP
gypsysmommy

gypsysmommy

Sep 6, 2012
Muscle Shoals, Alabama, United States
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy
Can you pm me the recipe you use to make three weeks worth of dog food? I really need help Im just now starting out on making her food. We were able to tapper off the allergies and her get somewhat better due to changing shampoos and using filter water which has helped soooo much so far now we are starting the home-cooking today.

I have found that a diet that not only addresses the major allergins (grains/poultry), but the foods that create the least amount of heat in the body. Since the bulldog has diminished capacity to cool themselves anyway, we want to feed them foods that are cooling. I did post previously about my home cooked diet now used for 4 years with many dogs. I do not feed potatoes at all, nor grains. I tried brown rice/white rice/barley, however the way that the sugars break down causes allergies, do none of them. The other culpret is poultry. I only feed the organ meats from chicken and turkey and not often. Fish is youre friend, sardines, cod, salmon, mackarel. I do not feed the same protein twice in a row. It sounds like a lot of work, but it isn't. Yesterday I prepared enough food for three weeks in about 2 hours. For anyone who does not have the time or desire, I do sell it commercially and ship it frozen. I went to the vet last week to pick up heartworm meds and we laughed about how they never see us anymore. Fine with me!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.