Home cooking recipes,successes,setbacks and questions

waynemac

Jul 25, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi,

This is my first post as a new member. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

OK, Buddy is my english bulldog who's now 5. In the last 1 1/2 years or so he's developed allergy and yeast issues. Coincidentally it seemed shortly after he was neutered. He was getting yeast build ups in his ears, swollen red paws and a lot of hair loss on his back. I started with having a thorough allergy panel and for the food portion he's allergic to pork,corn,peas and alfalfa. I tried several premium and holistic foods to no avail. It seemed the more expensive the food, the more hair loss. Never did find one that was free of all these things and I finally gave up and began cooking his food myself. I started out with a recipe that was roughly 50% chicken, the other 50% made up of relatively equal parts of carrots, greens beans, sweet potatoes and rice. I immediately began to see a difference in his coat but no improvement at all in the yeast or paw issues. After researching some more about carbs and how they contribute to yeast I removed the rice and sweet potatoes and added pumpkin. I've seen a little reduction in paw swelling and the constant licking that comes with it but still no improvement in yeast. His coat overall is now thicker,softer and is shedding the least it ever has. But strangely has developed a completely bald spot on his tail. I'm puzzled?

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on additives to the food I may need, vitamins or otherwise and if anyone has ran into similar issues or had successes in reducing yeast through diet.

Thanks in advance.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Many bullies are allergic to chicken but it sounds like that was not an allergan they found during Buddy's panel. I home cook too and I use ground beef quite a bit, and lately been using pork chops (not good for your Buddy tho), as well as eggs for the protein. I also rotate with liver but add this sparingly. Also been adding some sardines to Tate's rice. I add a lot of frozen green beans, chopped up carrots, plain yogurt, and occasional cottage cheese. I've also been adding about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to the food, as well as 1 teaspoon of ACV twice a day. I've noticed that Tate's tear stains and redness in the face has diminished a bit in the last couple weeks.

I also add a vitamin supplement called Hugs and Kisses.

I do not have a set recipe or anything...I sort of just put things together as I go along but those are just some examples.

btw, WELCOME to EBN!

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Hey Wayne. Welcome to EBN, I don't know a whole lot about food issues, let me tag someone for you that I ask these questions too, she may have an answer, if not, she will know someone else to ask, we'll definitely find someone who can help here shortly. If you get a chance, please stop by the Welcome and Introductions thread, because then everyone can get a chance to meet and greet you and buddy, and then we can ask for pictures !! :D [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am wondering if she may need a round of yeast medication? Or perhaps bathe her in a shampoo that treats fungal and bacterial like pharmaseb? Then do a 1/4 vinegar 3/4 water rinse....

Getting the yeast to quit reproducing is a challenge, I would start there.

I would also add an immune boosting supplement like Nuvet, Hardypet, ect.

As for cooking, I use ground beef, fresh veggies and lentils mostly, only 10% is a carb.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress :up:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok ive been doing the yeast thing with sarah for ever so long and the swollen red paws and the ears and all that. i think ive seen about every reaction a dog can have. yeast is allergies not carbs. you are feeding your dog some thing it is allergic to hence the swollen paws and the patch of hair loss and such. if you are home cooking then the best thing to do is start with a protein and a carb. chicken and brown rice for like 4 or 5 days or so. if thats ok then you should start to see these things go away. if so then after 4 or 5 days then add another thing such as perhaps green beans. same thing if ok or 4 or 5 days cool. all the while you should see improvement. if thing start to get worse or dont change then try some thing else. i think you get the idea. i had to do this with sarah as i had her on literally prolly 30 kibbles and freeze dried raw dehydrated you name it. now for the paws and coat. duoxo ps shampoo is awsome to shampoo and soak the paws while shampooing. duoxo pads can be used all over in between bathing. apple cidar vinegar can be used mixed with water 1/2 and 1/2 on the paws and as a rinse after shampooing and in the ears and such if you dont have duoxo yet as it will probably have to be ordered. get braggs with mother in it if you can. ok now for the immune system as yeast overgrowth is a low immune system as well. i would add these things in slowly also. probiotic-i just use one from the drug store or grocery store but they say use one that does not need refridgeration. i am also giving sarah a garlic pill once a day also from the drug store. you can get some coq10 50 mg once a day from the drug store. if you want i can find a kibble with none of those things but i really thing a home cooking test for allergy foods will tell you more than a test did or at least it did for me as i had sarah tested to. good luck and if you need more help im around

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
ok ive been doing the yeast thing with sarah for ever so long and the swollen red paws and the ears and all that. i think ive seen about every reaction a dog can have. yeast is allergies not carbs. you are feeding your dog some thing it is allergic to hence the swollen paws and the patch of hair loss and such. if you are home cooking then the best thing to do is start with a protein and a carb. chicken and brown rice for like 4 or 5 days or so. if thats ok then you should start to see these things go away. if so then after 4 or 5 days then add another thing such as perhaps green beans. same thing if ok or 4 or 5 days cool. all the while you should see improvement. if thing start to get worse or dont change then try some thing else. i think you get the idea. i had to do this with sarah as i had her on literally prolly 30 kibbles and freeze dried raw dehydrated you name it. now for the paws and coat. duoxo ps shampoo is awsome to shampoo and soak the paws while shampooing. duoxo pads can be used all over in between bathing. apple cidar vinegar can be used mixed with water 1/2 and 1/2 on the paws and as a rinse after shampooing and in the ears and such if you dont have duoxo yet as it will probably have to be ordered. get braggs with mother in it if you can. ok now for the immune system as yeast overgrowth is a low immune system as well. i would add these things in slowly also. probiotic-i just use one from the drug store or grocery store but they say use one that does not need refridgeration. i am also giving sarah a garlic pill once a day also from the drug store. you can get some coq10 50 mg once a day from the drug store. if you want i can find a kibble with none of those things but i really thing a home cooking test for allergy foods will tell you more than a test did or at least it did for me as i had sarah tested to. good luck and if you need more help im around

:goodpost:

MoandPinky

Jun 27, 2013
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Moey & Pinky
What wonderful advice you provided! very helpful with me also as I struggling with similar problems with Pinky and can not seem to identify what the allergen is. I am limited also living in India where the food options are extremely limited and the vets do not seem to offer any type of allergy testing for food and instead just prescribe science plan prescription diet which seems to have no affect at all. I am going to start some home cooking and thought I should start with fish as it seems to be that proteins are the culprit of most allergies? Any comments?
Also on the home cooking front I become a little lost as to the quantities I should feed. She currently has about 2 cups of Taste of the Wild kibble (I felt this was a little more nutritional that Science Plan prescription stuff) portioned over 3 meals throughout the day. I will just see how I go with this.
I am also confused at to the portion of meat to carb, vegetable etc. Some people mention as low as 10% carb/rice etc Would you agree?
Also the apple cider vinegar for the paws - should I soak her paws in this after a bath and dont wash off?
Thanks heaps...Jade

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online