Home cooking for cystine stones

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I was in two minds about whether I should put this thread in Bulldog Health or over here ... in the end I put it over here!!! :up:

I have a friend whose Bully has just been diagnosed with Cystine stones. He has had an operation to remove them, and was neutered at the same time.

But she really REALLY had set her heart on starting to cook for them. The vet says that their are recipes out there, and the protein source should be tofu, but until his pH is regulated in his urine he has to be kept on Hill's Prescription diet "U/D canine Non-Struvite Urinary Tract Health" canned food. In fact, the vet would prefer if he was kept on this for the rest of his life.

I was wondering if anybody has experience of this and have home cooked for their bully??

I am also tagging our fully certified Pet Nutritionist!! [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You're sure they were cystine stones? Those are really rare and diet doesn't seem to help prevent more crystals from forming. The jury is split 50/50 on diet. Some vets say low protein since meat causes the body's acidity level to rise, some vets say it doesn't make a damned bit of difference either way. Since there is no definitive science either way (low protein v high protein) I'd need to know what SHE is comfortable feeding.

There are groups that she can join, I learned about them during all my kidney research. I can send you a couple if you want to pass them along.

I can definitely tell you this tho, if it is cystine he can't have any poultry products of any kind. EVER!

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You're sure they were cystine stones? Those are really rare and diet doesn't seem to help prevent more crystals from forming. The jury is split 50/50 on diet. Some vets say low protein since meat causes the body's acidity level to rise, some vets say it doesn't make a damned bit of difference either way. Since there is no definitive science either way (low protein v high protein) I'd need to know what SHE is comfortable feeding.

There are groups that she can join, I learned about them during all my kidney research. I can send you a couple if you want to pass them along.

I can definitely tell you this tho, if it is cystine he can't have any poultry products of any kind. EVER!

Yep they seem to be very certain that it is cystine stones. Could you send me those links for the groups??

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.