Bullies getting sick on homemade food not sure why....

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Hello,

I started cooking for my bully about 2 weeks ago. I received a lot of advice in another thread on what to feed her. She has very bad allergies that's why I started.

First week, I cooked brown rice, peas & carrots, and canned salmon. Everything seem to be fine.

It’s the Second week now and I'm feeding her cooked white rice, broccoli & carrots, ground beef, and hard boiled eggs w/shell. (I changed the food with suggestions made in another thread.)

Wednesday, Abby woke up and started to get sick. It wasn't much and it was all liquid. I gave her an apple before we went to bed the night before so I thought maybe that's what upset her belly. Or it was the new food. Today, she woke up and again the same thing she got sick. It wasn't much and all liquid. I'm going to make new food tonight, but does anyone know why she could be getting sick? I was thinking maybe it’s the eggs? Any help would be great thanks.

- Abby's Mommy

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
This also was the first time Abby has had meat in a long time. We normally feed her fish based food. Maybe that has something to do with it? Just trying to think of any reason why.

I think tonight I'm going to try Cooked white rice, whiting or salmon fresh/frozen, and broccoli and carrots.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
First let me say I know nothing!! OK..... It sounds to me like that is an awful lot of changes in a short time... might that have something to do with it? Should you maybe go back to what worked that first week and let things settle?

L

Lucy-licious

what time is her last feed?
Often "Morning sickness" is caused by an empty stomach. If she is fine the rest of the day it may be that she needs feeding a small meal before bed.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Did you give her the whole apple, with seads...apple seads are poison for dogs.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I also thought of an empty tummy. Was it just bile? Yellowish/green liquid? I have to give Jake a Rice Cake before bed otherwise he gets this too!

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
We feed her around 6pm every night. Sometimes we give her a snack around 8ish. For example the apple. (No, I just cut it up into small pieces and throw away the core.) I did not feed her a snack last night because I knew she got sick that morning. We also feed her in the morning around 7. We never had a problem before.

The liquid yesterday was a brownish, but today was clear.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm leaning towards empty stomach too, she may be digesting the home cooked food quickly, which is a good thing.... But a hardy snack before bed can help cure this. The problem is with the allergies she suffers I am not sure what to suggest you give her.... I give mine a couple treats.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
I'll try to feed her something before we go to bed tonight. But everyone is saying empty stomach, but on Wednesday I feed her an apple before we went to bed. So I'm not 100% sure that's it or do you think I need to feed her more than an apple?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I was really trying not to post on this thread because of the sound whipping I got on the other thread... but I can't help it. So, here goes.

If it's just bile (clear or yellowish frothy liquid, small in quantity) and it's only been twice, you don't need to do anything. Dogs are opportunistic scavengers that are also creatures of habit and when they get their food at the same time everyday, they start the digestive process by prediction - that is, they start producing the enzymes to break down the food at a specific time instead of when they actually get the food in anticipation for the arrival of the food. This is the behavior exhibited by a wild dog who just took down a deer - they eat until they're full, the stomach processes the food until it becomes empty, then, because the dog knows there is still deer to be had, they start producing bile again in anticipation of finishing off the deer. But, when the deer is all gone, they go back to an unpredictable food source, they quit producing bile once they empty and wait until they actually get the food before they start the digestive process again. When a dog produces the bile in anticipation for the food and the food does not come, the dog vomits out the bile which is a natural occurence.

I'm thinking, that your dog is starting to clear his belly of the hard-to-process commercial food and is now going into the faster processing of cooked whole foods so he empties out faster so he produces bile in anticipation of more food before he actually gets his next meal. This is fine. After a couple false alarms, he'll figure out to wait longer before he starts producing bile.

If the bile vomiting becomes chronic - then this can be a problem that needs vet attention. Possible causes would be pancreatitis, gastritis, or some intestinal obstruction.

If the vomit comes with the usual allergy symptoms - soft stools, itching, smelly dog - then your dog may be allergic to something in his food. If the vomit is not bile this may also be an allergy symptom or something else entirely.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was really trying not to post on this thread because of the sound whipping I got on the other thread... but I can't help it. So, here goes.

If it's just bile (clear or yellowish frothy liquid, small in quantity) and it's only been twice, you don't need to do anything. Dogs are opportunistic scavengers that are also creatures of habit and when they get their food at the same time everyday, they start the digestive process by prediction - that is, they start producing the enzymes to break down the food at a specific time instead of when they actually get the food in anticipation for the arrival of the food. This is the behavior exhibited by a wild dog who just took down a deer - they eat until they're full, the stomach processes the food until it becomes empty, then, because the dog knows there is still deer to be had, they start producing bile again in anticipation of finishing off the deer. But, when the deer is all gone, they go back to an unpredictable food source, they quit producing bile once they empty and wait until they actually get the food before they start the digestive process again. When a dog produces the bile in anticipation for the food and the food does not come, the dog vomits out the bile which is a natural occurence.

I'm thinking, that your dog is starting to clear his belly of the hard-to-process commercial food and is now going into the faster processing of cooked whole foods so he empties out faster so he produces bile in anticipation of more food before he actually gets his next meal. This is fine. After a couple false alarms, he'll figure out to wait longer before he starts producing bile.

If the bile vomiting becomes chronic - then this can be a problem that needs vet attention. Possible causes would be pancreatitis, gastritis, or some intestinal obstruction.

If the vomit comes with the usual allergy symptoms - soft stools, itching, smelly dog - then your dog may be allergic to something in his food. If the vomit is not bile this may also be an allergy symptom or something else entirely.

Very good information :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
Kt126126

Kt126126

Nov 20, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby
Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to update everyone and let you know how we made out with Abby this morning.

Yesterday, I had to go to the vet's office to pick up Abby's allergy medication. Why I was there I asked them about home feeding and let them know what was going on with Abby. The vet who I love sat down and talked to me about how to home feed. She cooks for her dogs also. I received a lot of good advice on what to make her. A lot of the same advice I heard on the blog.

The vet said that she believes Abby is getting feed enough food. Her getting sick is caused by the new diet and her body becoming use to the new way of processing the food. It no longer has to work as hard to break down the food since it's all natural. Even though Abby is full, her brain is telling her she's not because a natural diet feels different then a kibble diet full. In a natural diet the food does not expand in the belly as kibble does. It’s just that her body needs to become use to the new way of feeling full. Just to be on the safe side she wants me to keep a journal of either her weight or measurement around the belly to see if she is losing weight. This way I'll know to up the amount of food I'm feeding her.

The vet had some recommendations on what to feed Abby. And to cook everything in one pot or in a pressure cooker. This way you don't lose the nutrition in the food. If your cooking in a pot like I am, you should first cook the grains, then the veg's, then place the protein (meat, fish, chicken) on top. Or if you’re a lucky person who has a pressure cooker you place it all in the bag and cook it until it becomes mush. Maybe Abby can get this for her 3rd b-day present. haha. The vet also recommended me to keep a journal of the food she eats each week and see what Abby's body agrees with and disagrees with. It’s a trial and error kind of thing. After that I can find what is the perfect diet for her.

I went home that night and feed Abby the same food. The vet said it would be fine to use it up. So this Sunday I'll adjust to the new ingredients and see how we make out. I did however, feed Abby her apple before we went to bed and she didn't get sick this morning!!! On another good note, I didn't see her scratch as much as she normally does in the morning!!! Could it be the food is working!!! I don't want to jinx myself yet.

Thanks for all your comments!
Katie and Abby

L

Lucy-licious

We feed her around 6pm every night. Sometimes we give her a snack around 8ish. For example the apple. (No, I just cut it up into small pieces and throw away the core.) I did not feed her a snack last night because I knew she got sick that morning. We also feed her in the morning around 7. We never had a problem before.

The liquid yesterday was a brownish, but today was clear.

Brown....empty stomach sickness would be more bile type colour Greeny/yellow. So as this was brown I'm betting it was the apple...the acids in her tummy overnight may have been too much. Fruit is harder to digest in humans so we shouldnt really have fruit ourselves in the evening..so maybe its just something that simple :hug:

L

Lucy-licious

Hi Everyone.

I just wanted to update everyone and let you know how we made out with Abby this morning.

Yesterday, I had to go to the vet's office to pick up Abby's allergy medication. Why I was there I asked them about home feeding and let them know what was going on with Abby. The vet who I love sat down and talked to me about how to home feed. She cooks for her dogs also. I received a lot of good advice on what to make her. A lot of the same advice I heard on the blog.

The vet said that she believes Abby is getting feed enough food. Her getting sick is caused by the new diet and her body becoming use to the new way of processing the food. It no longer has to work as hard to break down the food since it's all natural. Even though Abby is full, her brain is telling her she's not because a natural diet feels different then a kibble diet full. In a natural diet the food does not expand in the belly as kibble does. It’s just that her body needs to become use to the new way of feeling full. Just to be on the safe side she wants me to keep a journal of either her weight or measurement around the belly to see if she is losing weight. This way I'll know to up the amount of food I'm feeding her.

The vet had some recommendations on what to feed Abby. And to cook everything in one pot or in a pressure cooker. This way you don't lose the nutrition in the food. If your cooking in a pot like I am, you should first cook the grains, then the veg's, then place the protein (meat, fish, chicken) on top. Or if you’re a lucky person who has a pressure cooker you place it all in the bag and cook it until it becomes mush. Maybe Abby can get this for her 3rd b-day present. haha. The vet also recommended me to keep a journal of the food she eats each week and see what Abby's body agrees with and disagrees with. It’s a trial and error kind of thing. After that I can find what is the perfect diet for her.

I went home that night and feed Abby the same food. The vet said it would be fine to use it up. So this Sunday I'll adjust to the new ingredients and see how we make out. I did however, feed Abby her apple before we went to bed and she didn't get sick this morning!!! On another good note, I didn't see her scratch as much as she normally does in the morning!!! Could it be the food is working!!! I don't want to jinx myself yet.

Thanks for all your comments!
Katie and Abby

Oh how lucky that your Vet is a homecooker too.

Poor Abby I'm not sure she will be over impressed on her 3rd birthday when she opens her gift to find a big ole metal pan that she cant chew or pick up :eek::ROFL:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh how lucky that your Vet is a homecooker too.

Poor Abby I'm not sure she will be over impressed on her 3rd birthday when she opens her gift to find a big ole metal pan that she cant chew or pick up :eek::ROFL:
No but she will be when mama opens it up with dinner inside. :lol:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.