Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting to cook my own food

Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Starting to cook my own food

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Abby's been on the diet the past 3 days now. I haven't noticed much of a change. I did notice yesterday her eye's aren't so gray anymore. I'm not sure if that because of the food. I also noticed she doesn't smell as much and her fur is soft. However, she is still itching.

I should note:
    I started to put some olive oil on her food.
    And I'm cooking all the food it’s not raw. Not sure if that makes a difference?

The doctor suggested I use a salmon or venison based dog food. This will element any allergies she might have towards chicken or turkey. Since, I don't have a store that has venison I thought Salmon was the best answer. She also was on a Salmon based kibble so I thought it would be an easier transition. And yes it's a 14 oz can of Pink Beauty. It has the bones in the can and I feed them to her.

I could substitute for ground beef would that work? Not sure if that would affect her allergies.
    Or should I stay with a fish? I know they have frozen whiting I could use?

I see you say plant matter I assume you’re talking about the veg's? What veg's can I use other than pea's? I know I can't give her corn that's a grain. I see above they suggest broc, cauliflower, carrots are they not plant matter? I can switch to that not a problem.

I assume the brown rice is okay?

I also read that people are feeding them eggs. Should I place a few in?

Any more advice or recipes would be helpful.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    @anatess As much as my head tells me to walk away from this I just cant. Not without saying something.

You feel strongly about feeding raw and that's great for you. The truth is that there is no ONE right way to feed our animals. We have choices, many choices. I'm not going to debate raw v homemade v store bought with you or anyone else and especially not here in a forum designed for people who choose to home cook.

The question asked was how much to feed and if the menu was ok. @Kt126126 has determined that her Abby is allergic to most things and wants to try something out of her own kitchen. We should be applauding that effort. Not everyone has to financial means or the stomach to feed raw and not everyone believes that it is the right thing to do.

I honestly don't know where you got the information that you are quoting me from but that is neither here nor there. The question was was the meal appropriate. As someone who has cooked for her own dogs for almost 2 years and someone who is certified to create such menus, I offered my advice. Had I known it was going to start a debate I would have kept my fingers in my pockets.

Store bought dry food. Store bought dehydrated food. Home cooked food. Raw food. There is no one right answer. What works for some does not work for all. We should be supporting each others choices and not try to convince them that the choice they've made is wrong.

Sorry, I'm not debating RAW versus COOKED versus KIBBLE. If you re-read all my posts you will see that. I've fed my dogs all of those in my lifetime. I'm advocating MEAT versus PLANT. And the menu the OP presented is high in plant less in meat. It doesn't matter if she feeds it raw, cooked, kibbled, dried, whatever. It is still too little meat. Of course, if your dog is allergic to meat (there is no indication on this thread that the dog is allergic to meat) then you can't feed meat-heavy food.

It doesn't matter how you feed your dog. But a dog's system is designed to process meat efficiently more so than plants. This is especially more so in allergic dogs. Meat is High Protein, Low Carbs. So the food structure is not concerned over high protein. That's why in the dog food rating on EBN you will find the MEAT-based kibbles always ranked higher than PLANT-based kibble.

I'm not debating you. I'm giving the OP my opinion.

Everybody has their own "expertise" and "certifications". Mine is not English. I'm Filipino. English is only my 3rd language. The way I write is the way I would write a paper to submit to my teacher in science class.
    Last edited by anatess; 03-14-2013 at 10:48 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kt126126 View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Abby's been on the diet the past 3 days now. I haven't noticed much of a change. I did notice yesterday her eye's aren't so gray anymore. I'm not sure if that because of the food. I also noticed she doesn't smell as much and her fur is soft. However, she is still itching.

I should note:
    I started to put some olive oil on her food.
    And I'm cooking all the food itís not raw. Not sure if that makes a difference?

The doctor suggested I use a salmon or venison based dog food. This will element any allergies she might have towards chicken or turkey. Since, I don't have a store that has venison I thought Salmon was the best answer. She also was on a Salmon based kibble so I thought it would be an easier transition. And yes it's a 14 oz can of Pink Beauty. It has the bones in the can and I feed them to her.

I could substitute for ground beef would that work? Not sure if that would affect her allergies.
    Or should I stay with a fish? I know they have frozen whiting I could use?

I see you say plant matter I assume youíre talking about the veg's? What veg's can I use other than pea's? I know I can't give her corn that's a grain. I see above they suggest broc, cauliflower, carrots are they not plant matter? I can switch to that not a problem.

For veggies you can use anything. I add diced bell peppers, tomatoes, squash, I even add fruit, like apples or berries. I would stick to 3 basic ingredients first to see how it goes. Then add another thing each time.

I would not use peas to start with. I have found on this site a lot of allergy test results show peas as an allergen to many bullies here. I would go with the broccoli and carrots to start with.

Sounds like its going well so far. It will take time to detox and get results. Looks like you are already seeing some.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    In case you didn't know dear twice just lost her abby to kidney failure a few months ago n she gave her more of a life than she would have had otherwise because of all her research n just doing it day in and day out so she really does understand what she is talking about here . Just FYI for you n anyone else.
    Good to know. I don't doubt she understands what she's talking about here. I did not disagree with what she said. That's not what we're ping-ponging about. We're ping-ponging a mere miscommunication.

And I know where EXACTLY the miscommunication is. And it is merely triggered by my statement that the protein rule-of-thumb does not apply to dogs with kidney problems because protein is a controlled variable in kidney management. And Twice would know that statement is true because she's been through that. Twice took my statement to mean that dogs with kidney problems need a low-protein diet (which I never said nor implied). Not that it matters but I've mentioned a lot here that my mom runs a rescue... I was only 8 when a dog I was caring for died of kidney failure... and my aunt is currently battling kidney failure... and we Filipinos don't carry health insurance, so we get to take turns caring for the family). So, I know what I'm talking about. But then, this is the internet... my word does not matter. Only how much credibility you put on my words matter. And you and I, cowsmom, have been ping-ponging too.

And I've derailed this thread far too much...
    Last edited by anatess; 03-14-2013 at 11:22 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Well, I feed Amber homemade food and dehydrated treats. For her groceries I use ground beef, fish, turkey or chicken. Since your bully has the potential to be allergic to chicken it sounds like you are using caution and going with the fish or beef which is a good choice. How I cook Ambers: boil or fry the meat (in the case of fish I bake them for a few minutes (whiting or salmon is great for their coats)), then I add carrots or green beans and sometimes I use the mixed vegetables. Amber gets gassy from beans so I have a lower carb base in her food but I do put eggs and cheese in her food (raw eggs mixed in). What I have found over many years of experimenting is the lower the carb base the less yeast builds up. Yeast has to have carbs to build up in their system so I watch those carbs fairly close, I do use some rice but it is minimal (maybe one cup to 3 pounds of meat). I buy all the roast on sale I can and make beef jerky regularly; the dehydrator is always running in my house, I have an excalibar and it is large and does a wonderful job. Amber also gets carrots regularly; she digs those up on demand from the garden and will eat sweet potatoes raw (makes a total mess and only on occassion gets those). I also make her vegetable patties (ground squash, eggs, spinach, salt and pepper) and I bake them. She loves them and so does the rest of the family. Lastly, Amber loves the occassional popcorn treat but we don't give her more than a few pieces (maybe 5 or 6 pieces). I do have a little problems with tear stains but that is part from her drinking out of the Kio pond and tap water. They aren't unsightly but I know they are there; she has a dark mask under her eyes so they are not prominent. I hope this helps and good luck with the puppy. If it is any assistance, anyone that sees Amber wants to touch her because her coat shines like the sun and she rarely if even has any smell to her other than lavender and lemon.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kt126126 View Post

I understood, and others should chime in with their thoughts, but brown rice is more difficult for dogs to digest (compared to humans). I usually give my guys white rice or, if i do make brown rice, I will combine a little to the white rice.

As far as the eggs go, it's a great source of protein, so just to mix things up, I will give them a sunny side up egg over their rice and veggies in place of their usual protein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads