cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I get this magazine sent to me called Modern Dog and in the spring edition I found this new recipe. It uses rolled oats and flaxseed which i've been wanting to try out on Tate and Finn. So, I cooked up a big pot of it today and they loved it! (then again, they aren't very discriminating eaters). But it did smell delicious and made the whole house smell so yummy.

Hope you will give it a try:

Ingredients:

1 lb (approx 500g) of ground turkey
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
3 or 4 parsnips, peeled and diced (I didn't use this)
6 large carrots, peeled, scrubbed and diced
1 cup oats
2 sweet apples (I used 1 Fuji and 1 Honey Crisp)
2 tbsp runny honey (just used plain honey...not sure what "runny" meant)
1 tsp dried herb (or 1tbsp freshly chopped. Can use parsley, rosemary, thyme or turmeric)
1 tsp ground flaxseed

Directions:

Step 1
Heat the oil in a pot or large saucepan, and the meat and brown over medium heat. Add the parsnips (if using), carrots, oats and about 2 cups of water (enough to cover all the ingredients). Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Step 2
Once the stew has cooked, peel, core and dice the apples and stir into the stew along with the honey, herbs, and ground flaxseed.

Allow to cool.
This will keep in the fridge for 4 days.

I actually served this over a little bit of white rice and added some frozen green beans and a bit of plain yogurt as a topper. They licked their bowls even cleaner than usual with this one!

IMG_3746.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks delish!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I like that recipe!
egghunt2.gif

Parsnips have amazing kidney detoxifying properties. Turmeric is great if you have concerns about arthritis and joint pain. Apples (if you include the skin) are a excellent cancer preventative and vitamin source.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I like that recipe!

Parsnips have amazing kidney detoxifying properties. Turmeric is great if you have concerns about arthritis and joint pain. Apples (if you include the skin) are a excellent cancer preventative and vitamin source.

Yep, this recipe was actually created for when your dog is "feeling sad" or just not feeling well. I really liked all the ingredients. Will try turmeric next time.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That looks REALLY good ..... I suppose you don't have to use the ground turkey, and replace it with ground beef or ground pork instead??

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yummy! I am going to make a big pot of this over the weekend for the pups! I am going to use ground beef as Brutus hasnt had turkey yet!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That looks REALLY good ..... I suppose you don't have to use the ground turkey, and replace it with ground beef or ground pork instead??

Sure, those would be good substitutes. The original recipe suggested actual turkey meat (breasts/thighs), and then grinding it yourself...but that's too much work for me. But i would imagine you could also use chunks of meat vs. ground meat too. Lots of ways to experiment w/this recipe.

Glad you'll try it over the weekend Roe! I think your babies will love it :)

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Sure, those would be good substitutes. The original recipe suggested actual turkey meat (breasts/thighs), and then grinding it yourself...but that's too much work for me. But i would imagine you could also use chunks of meat vs. ground meat too. Lots of ways to experiment w/this recipe.

Glad you'll try it over the weekend Roe! I think your babies will love it :)

I cant see them not enjoying it :) I have been giving them 1/2 hamburger every night with dinner so this will change it up a bit

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names

:2thumbs: I dont want to try turkey just yet! We did find out that Brutus has no sensitivity to Chicken :dancing: Last month we got Surf and Turf for Chanel and Junior (switch up from Beef Frittata) and I decided heck lets see what happens so I fed Brutus same thing Happy Report he has been eating it for almost 2 months and no change at all :) Yesssss! So now we can switch between Beef Frittata and Surf and Turf!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
:2thumbs: I dont want to try turkey just yet! We did find out that Brutus has no sensitivity to Chicken :dancing: Last month we got Surf and Turf for Chanel and Junior (switch up from Beef Frittata) and I decided heck lets see what happens so I fed Brutus same thing Happy Report he has been eating it for almost 2 months and no change at all :) Yesssss! So now we can switch between Beef Frittata and Surf and Turf!

Daddy and Linus seem to be fine with everything so far!!! But we had that one incident when Bella's hair on top of her head started to come out in patches. At the time I'd switched from Beef Frittata to Salmon. I automatically assumed that it was the salmon .. but last week I started to think about the ingredients and realised the difference in these two foods is that Beef has no chicken in but the Salmon flavour does ... so it could also have been the chicken that was the culprit and not the salmon.

To be safe .. I think I'm going to stay away from both of those things for a while. Turkey just seems too close to chicken for me to be happy with.

I've been using ground beef only, but this weekend I mixed 2lb of ground pork with 3lb of beef so I'm going to see what happens. This morning was the third meal they had of it.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Daddy and Linus seem to be fine with everything so far!!! But we had that one incident when Bella's hair on top of her head started to come out in patches. At the time I'd switched from Beef Frittata to Salmon. I automatically assumed that it was the salmon .. but last week I started to think about the ingredients and realised the difference in these two foods is that Beef has no chicken in but the Salmon flavour does ... so it could also have been the chicken that was the culprit and not the salmon.

To be safe .. I think I'm going to stay away from both of those things for a while. Turkey just seems too close to chicken for me to be happy with.

I've been using ground beef only, but this weekend I mixed 2lb of ground pork with 3lb of beef so I'm going to see what happens. This morning was the third meal they had of it.

I have been wanting to change proteins but got very nervous with Brutus! Chanel and Junior have no issues at all that I know of! Well before I found EBN I fed Chanel Pedigree :( I know! She had horrible frito feet but since being on Fromm no more! I'm glad Brutus hasnt shown signs of allergies b/c its hard to stop him from eating Chanel's food unless I feed them separate and I dont want to do that!

Do you think since he does well with Chicken I can try ground turkey now?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roe, I don't see why not. If your worried you could always mix the turkey with ground chicken but I don't see the turkey being a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Roe, I don't see why not. If your worried you could always mix the turkey with ground chicken but I don't see the turkey being a problem.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names

- - - Updated - - -

I agree .. if they do well with chicken then I would go ahead and try the turkey

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.