Week 3!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So I'm into week 3 of home cooking and loving it. The ones who we have noticed the MOST change in is Bear (black lab), coco (shih-tzu poodle mix) and Kaylie (schnauzer poodle mix). All three of them seem a lot more active, "bouncy" and I can see that Kaylie has lost some weight. We just got Coco and Kaylie groomed and to my horror, under all her fluff, Kaylie was a little barrel. I think she steals everybody elses food. Well, with the home cooked she doesn't get a chance to steal cos everybody is inhaling the stuff!!!

Three times a week I've been soft-boiling them one egg each, and then once they've cooled I crush the egg in my hand as much as I can all over the top of their food. That way the egg is still a bit runny on the inside. Hoping that three eggs a week is enough calcium. The smallest weighs 10lb and the largest weighs 70lb but I give them three eggs a week all the same which I'm sure is probably wrong @Twice.

So far I've been sticking with the original formula of the beef, vegs & fruit, and brown rice. This weekend I found some ground pork on sale so grabbed 2lb of that. This morning I cooked the 2lb of pork and 3lb of beef .... I had wanted to try wholegrain pasta but decided to make only one change at a time!!!

Now on the look for large freezer proof containers ...... because despite what I said there is no way I can keep up my current routine of cooking for them three times a week. I mean, I CAN do it. But I worry that something will come up unexpectedly on my usual cooking days and I end up running out!!

I don't recall pork being an issue for most bullies .... so fingers crossed!!!

BTW .... @Sherry @Twice [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] .... they all act as if I'm starving them. I'm still going with the rule of replace 1 cup of dry with 1 cup of the cooked and none of them are losing weight. Are they acting like they have never eaten for days because the food is so good or because I'm not doing something right?? :blink:

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
They are loving it and you feel rewarded as you should. 90% of dogs love to eat, and when it's made with love, they enjoy it even more. You're doing fine , keep up the good work and yep, a lot of freezer containers is in your future , every week that goes by, you'll learn something new that's just right for you and your pack. Proud of you mama :2thumbs:

L

Lucy-licious

:D nice to see its going so well. Good work...and yes freezer boxes are a great idea...bulk cook and freeze x

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Glad to hear the home cooking is working out Karen! Great job! Today I tried a recipe that added some oats for a little extra fiber and bulk. I'm wondering if that may create a "full" sensation for my boys b/c they are always hungry too. I'm going to post the recipe as well.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The calcium amount is fine :)

My guys act as if they are starving all the time too but they acted like that when I was feeding purely dry food too. I think it's just a dog thing.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
They all just seem to want their food even more now .. and hubby is telling me that it's because I'm starving them!! :mad:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Great job! They just love their food so much...If they'd be starving they'd be losing weight, right? Don't be fooled and give them more...it's a trick...

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I did some home cooking with my last foster Rita, I did it because she was so underweight and wasn't eating very well so home cooked did the trick, she learned to love meal time and couldn't wait for her next meal :) Your pack is acting hungry because they love the food, sounds like they are thriving :) good job @kazzy220 ... I think I want to do more home cooking for my babies and on a regular basis Diesel, Molly & Madison deserve it :)

I have one worry, Molly & Madison tend to be ummmm how do you say it nicely hmmmm no way, my girls are on the porky side, Madison came home a lot thinner then ever before but Molly is on the heavy side so will home cooking make them gain weight? [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I did some home cooking with my last foster Rita, I did it because she was so underweight and wasn't eating very well so home cooked did the trick, she learned to love meal time and couldn't wait for her next meal :) Your pack is acting hungry because they love the food, sounds like they are thriving :) good job @kazzy220 ... I think I want to do more home cooking for my babies and on a regular basis Diesel, Molly & Madison deserve it :)

I have one worry, Molly & Madison tend to be ummmm how do you say it nicely hmmmm no way, my girls are on the porky side, Madison came home a lot thinner then ever before but Molly is on the heavy side so will home cooking make them gain weight? @kazzy220 @Sherry @desertskybulldogs @cowsmom

you can add a more veggies and make sure to drain off all the fat. moderation, moderation. maybe you have ahhhh how do you say..............big boned girls ?

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
you can add a more veggies and make sure to drain off all the fat. moderation, moderation. maybe you have ahhhh how do you say..............big boned girls ?

I agree .. I always cook up my meat first and I'm SO amazed at how much fat I then have to drain off the beef. I've tried ground pork and ground turkey recently too, and the pork had a tiny amount of fat and the turkey none at all .. or nothing I could drain off! I never add any fat to cook with, I get the pan nice and hot and then throw in the meat and stir so that it doesn't stick. Never had a problem that way.

And yes .. add a lot more veggies .. maybe 55-60% protein, 15% carbs and 25-30% veggies and fruits.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava

LOL @ big boned girls .... truth be told, I think they just joined mom in being a chunky monkey LOL

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I agree .. I always cook up my meat first and I'm SO amazed at how much fat I then have to drain off the beef. I've tried ground pork and ground turkey recently too, and the pork had a tiny amount of fat and the turkey none at all .. or nothing I could drain off! I never add any fat to cook with, I get the pan nice and hot and then throw in the meat and stir so that it doesn't stick. Never had a problem that way.

And yes .. add a lot more veggies .. maybe 55-60% protein, 15% carbs and 25-30% veggies and fruits.

I haven't used beef, the meat I use most is chicken, I can get a 5lb bag of hind quarters for $4.99 and I use ground turkey also.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I haven't used beef, the meat I use most is chicken, I can get a 5lb bag of hind quarters for $4.99 and I use ground turkey also.

Maggie had a chicken allergy so I got into the habit of staying clear of anything that had chicken in, and so it kinda stuck even though my angel baby is no longer with me.

I now believe that Bella has an allergy to the turkey, because I've noticed that she has having a bit of a reaction. So it's back to 100% beef for us again!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.