Would this work and how much to feed?

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
When we got Gumbo she was pretty underweight. The vet stated that we needed to feed on demand and let her get some weight on. Before I was knowledgable in any types of allergies etc..., we were doing canned dog food and her gas and smell was AWFUL. I got the idea to cook for her and this is what we are currently doing. She weighs 50 pounds and this looks good on her. I don't think she needs to gain anymore but I also know nothing about her mom and dad and their weights. I am going on the fact that she still has a slight hourglass shape but it seems that she pants harder than she did so I don't want to over feed at all. We also just started the Fromm's about 2 days ago and she ADORES it!!!!

Homecooked meal is:
1 pound ground beef (usually 80/20 so she can get some fat but we have also done lean 92/7)
6 cups brown rice cooked in beef broth
3 eggs
1 bag green beans

She SCARFS this down. I am not sure how much to give her. I was giving her a cup but then these past few days I was also adding some kibble. She always acts like she is starving but I think that is just her and not being able to get as much food when she was younger. Fromms said 3 - 3 1/4 cup a day. I usually do dry in the morning (before we leave for work) and then homemade at night.

Can someone look over this and make sure I am not over feeding or under feeding? Also, I do let her eat my table scraps at times (like a bite of bread or a tablespoon of potatoes) but I'm trying to break myself of that habit.

Thanks!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How old is she? Fromm will fatten a pup up quickly if you aren't careful. My boy is 50 ish pounds, fully grown at 7 years old now and he gets a heaping 3/4 cup 2x a day. Unless gumbo is a puppy no need for 3 cups a day I am sure. If you want to do the home cooked mixed with Fromm just keep the food amounts you decide on the same as if you were feeding just kibble. What you do within those amounts is up to you. Meaning half of each feeding with kibble and homecooked etc. this is what I am gathering from previous posts in here anyhow,I haven't started home cooking myself although I like the idea.

OP
sherden24

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
She is also 7 years old and 50 pounds also! So basically your baby gets 1.5 cups a food a day? I think the poor baby will act like she is starving....I'm sure she wont because she probably does not need to eat all the time since she is not as active as she was before.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
She is also 7 years old and 50 pounds also! So basically your baby gets 1.5 cups a food a day? I think the poor baby will act like she is starving....I'm sure she wont because she probably does not need to eat all the time since she is not as active as she was before.
Yes. They r heaping scoops so it is a little more but not quite 1 cup each feeding. Cutty acts like he is starving all the time but I had to get strict. When I switched to Fromm he gained and after having acl surgery last year the vet like him at this size and said to maintain it. Not about to have him mess up his other knee or this one again so I am strict. But he gets a banana or 2 shared among the other 2 pups at lunchtime. Apple peels from the kids snacks and carrots etc. all are sort of free calorie items (aside from banana) so he isn't really starving.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My 2 are one years old, and they are also on Fromms, they got 1 cup of Fromms 3 times a day, until they were 7 months old, now they get 1 cup of Fromms in the morning, and 1 cup of home cooked food in the evenings. They both weigh 40 lbs, and are doing well on this food. If Gumbo is still a puppy and she needs to gain some weight, then I would recommend feeding her 1 cup three times a day, and if she is over 6 or 7 months old, then you can feed her 1 cup or 1 1/2 cups twice a day, or 1 cup of kibble in the morning, and 1 cup of home cooked in the evening if you want to do home cooking. You can also give her some snacks or treats like cheese strings, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, cut up apples, strawberries, bananas, green beans, and oatmeal.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
To give you an example, my Bella is now 4 and she weighs 53lb. I did have her on Fromm Beef Frittata only and she got 3/4 cup morning and the same at night ... so a total of 1.5 cups per day.

Fromm is an excellent food, but like all other food companies they are going to tell you that you have to give more than is necessary because you run out quicker and then you go buy more!!!

Because Fromm is so good, it has no shitty fillers, so you're getting good pure ingredients without all the fluff!! Therefore, you don't need to feed more for her to get all her nutritional needs. If you do feed her more then she will just poop it out. So your hard earned money is ending up in little piles in your backyard.

When I switched to home cooked I asked everybody on here what to do, and everybody gave me the same answer. For example, replace the half cup of fromm with a half cup of home cooked. Completely equal. I wanted to do half and half. Bella's 3/4 cup per meal was just too complicated to work out, so we went for a 1/4 cup Fromm and 1/2 cup homecooked. And the same for all the rest of them except where I could I split it evenly half and half.

As for your mix, well I confess I still work in my English terms and we don't use your measuring cups. But for me .. I went for the rule of 50% protein, 25% vegs and fruit, and then 25% carbohydrates. So you just need to work out if what you are using follows those basic guidelines.

One thing I did find out after I started this is that companies like Fromm add calcium to their kibble so if you cut it then you have to replace it too. I now hard boil eggs and three times a week I crush the eggs in my hand so the shells shatters and put that on top of their food. The calcium is in the shell. When I get my self to the store I'm going to buy a coffee grinder so I can grind the shells and then add that powder to their food. So much easier. There is a separate thread on here all about that!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.