Do you add calcium?

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
Hi! So, I'm going to start home cooking every week. I'm still deciding if I'm going to do 1/2 home cooked & 1/2 kibble or just use the home cooked as a topper. I know how important calcium is though, do you all add it to your mixture? I wasn't sure if I did 1/2 & 1/2 if she would be getting enough calcium from the kibble.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Don't know anything about home cooking for bullies, but I sure others who do will be along shortly.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I usually add a whole egg, shredded or cottage cheese a couple times a week, as well as using Nuvet every few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You need to add some calsium. 1/2 portion of kibble your bully gets half the calsium.

OP
mdn525

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
You need to add some calsium. 1/2 portion of kibble your bully gets half the calsium.

What type of calcium do you suggest? I saw [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said an egg - i'm assuming shell and all? How do you do that....? Cook it in or grind the shell? Also, we're getting a new puppy in 2 weeks :excited: would home cooked be okay for him as well?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't do home cooking so Im no expert, but you need to add calsium. I like to use natural sources. I feed raw and use grinded egg shells and raw eggs. The website dogaware has lots of good information on differend styles of feeding.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
What type of calcium do you suggest? I saw @desertskybulldogs said an egg - i'm assuming shell and all? How do you do that....? Cook it in or grind the shell? Also, we're getting a new puppy in 2 weeks :excited: would home cooked be okay for him as well?

You absolutely have to add Calcium if you are home cooking. All dogs need it but puppies more than adults. The dogs body needs that calcium for bone and muscle growth, if it doesn't get enough the body will leech if from other sources and the body will grow weaker. You risk improper muscle development and cramping, irregular nerve response and soft bone tissue.

I've always used ground egg shells. The recommended amount is 1/2 tsp per pound of food.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You absolutely have to add Calcium if you are home cooking. All dogs need it but puppies more than adults. The dogs body needs that calcium for bone and muscle growth, if it doesn't get enough the body will leech if from other sources and the body will grow weaker. You risk improper muscle development and cramping, irregular nerve response and soft bone tissue.

I've always used ground egg shells. The recommended amount is 1/2 tsp per pound of food.

I didn't know this!!! Would cottage cheese or an egg about 4-5 meals a week be enough??

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't know this!!! Would cottage cheese or an egg about 4-5 meals a week be enough??

They need about 1000mg of calcium per day because not all of it will be absorbed (100% of anything never is). I'm not sure how much is in cottage cheese but the eggs if you include the shells are fine.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

Do you grind the egg shells yourself, or do you buy this from somewhere??

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I didn't know about the egg shells...that's great info! I give my guys a variety of one of the following as toppers to their home cooking: cottage cheese, yogurt, or cheese. They also get these supplements called Hugs and Kisses regularly.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you grind the egg shells yourself, or do you buy this from somewhere??

I grind my own. I bought an 8.00 coffee grinder from Sears to do it with. Wash and dry the shells over night and grind them up. If you store it in an air tight container it doesn't need refrigeration and never, ever expires.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I grind my own. I bought an 8.00 coffee grinder from Sears to do it with. Wash and dry the shells over night and grind them up. If you store it in an air tight container it doesn't need refrigeration and never, ever expires.

Thank you!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online