Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I was wondering if you used real/ fresh chicken in a home cooked recipe, would your dog react the same with allergies or sensitivity as chicken found in kibble? Is it the chicken itself, or is it the additives, or preservatives found in commercial dog foods that cause the reactions? I was just wondering as I home cook half of my guys meals, but my female Blossom is allergic to chicken, so have always used beef so far. I wonder if real fresh chicken would cause the same allergic reaction in her? Any one have experience or advice on this?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
No first hand experience here of feeding fresh chicken to Ruggles who is allergic to chicken. I assume it is the chicken he is allergic to, not the added chemicals.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I too would think if you're allergic to chicken kibble then you'd also have an allergic reaction to chicken itself. You could always do a test "dose" and give Blossom a tiny piece of chicken and see how she does.
Perhaps others with more experience w/food allergies will have some ideas.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I believe you are right, it's the processing of the chicken, it the combination of all the chemicals and preservatives added. I see many dogs with allergies to chicken switch to raw chicken without any issues. Test in small quantities to see, that's the beauty of home cooking, you know exactly what you have in their food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
First hand experience: Angus is allergic to kibbles with chicken which is why we had to switch out of Blue Wilderness into Earthborn Holistics. I didn't do an allergy test or anything... he gets loose stools and rashes if he eats any of the Blue Wilderness flavors. I switched him to Earthborn Puppy Vantage, same thing. But he did excellent on Primitive Natural. The similarity I see is all the ones I tried that had chicken content he didn't do well on so I pinned his allergy on chicken.

We switched to PMR raw food weeks ago and I decided to give chicken a shot. I started with free-range chicken and I didn't even do a test. I just threw 1.5lbs of chicken in his bowl after a day of fasting. Not a single issue. Not even loose stools or an itch or anything. I started using regular grocery fryer chickens not too long ago and still no issues. I'm switching chicken sources to a "real" whole chicken (as opposed to whole but gutted chicken). We'll see how he reacts to that.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Disclaimer: I really can't logically understand how Angus would be allergic to chicken ingredient in kibbles but not to raw chicken so there is a high possibility that I was mistaken in my assumption that he is allergic to chicken.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.