Here I go!!!! Just a few questions .......

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Dumb question.... Why r you guys mixing home cooked with Fromm? Why not just home cooked? Or is this just kinda the best of both worlds?

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Dumb question.... Why r you guys mixing home cooked with Fromm? Why not just home cooked? Or is this just kinda the best of both worlds?

For me ... I'm going to be doing home cooked for all eight dogs. So if I had to cook enough to feed all of them 100% home cooked I just wouldn't have the storage space in the fridge for it all. I know I could freeze some of it, but you can guarantee that either two things would happen. I'd forget to take it out of the freezer, or we'd take it out and neither of us would remember to put it in the fridge when it was defrosted. (Both things happen regularly in our house).

And as Sunday is my only day off, then I wouldn't have another day during the week when I would have the opportunity to make up a second batch.

So this seems to be the easiest way for us. I also do love Fromm, and all of them are doing VERY well on it. It's just something that I want to try doing for them, and I'll be honest ... I think it's going to save me a LOT of money!!! :blush2:

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So here are some pics .....

BD9D9998-EE2C-4360-ABA8-5378F562131E-2325-0000015F9CDAD67D_zpsad3fc4d8.jpg

A7B4DF65-1CB3-4801-AF44-0218C3C3CFF6-2325-0000015E15962132_zps89d1bdb6.jpg

DE941950-1B1A-47C0-A137-125D4345F247-2325-0000016BE2B9F36B_zps4cd2dd18.jpg

I had an audience throughout the whole process ........

9B065D95-5B53-4F9F-8A63-28BDF37336DC-2325-0000016B03FA5FE5_zps3c627deb.jpg

The finished product .......

E6FA7A9D-C911-4144-AE44-20F93DF50BB4-2325-0000016A75EF2CEF_zpsb46a0941.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yeah my fridge and freezer are all filled already. This is interesting tho. I know my pups would think they went to heaven if I let them eat this way. Great pics Karen! I am guessing your floor needs mopped from all the drool? Lol!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I started the home cooking when Bogey was on the boiled rice and burger (during his Fromm's puppy diarrhea days). He just loved it and when I transitioned him back to kibble, I decided to keep adding it. Now I like to try different things as toppers. It does save a little on kibble, and with 4 dogs, the difference could be really significant! Good luck!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Im with Karen, if I homecooked for all 8 dogs I think I would be barefoot in the kitchen cooking for them all day long! LOL I make a pot full and it lasts for 3 days, 3 dogs get some each meal (randomly)

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
The ladies go ga-ga over chickpeas, so maybe you want to try them. If you buy them dried you can cook them yourself (to reduce the amount of salt in canned) and it can be frozen. You'll save a ton of money (same for kidneys). They also are huge fans of parsley, both fresh and dried. Also healthy.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] - sorry I am so late to this thread :( your dish looks super yummy!!!! I also just give 1/2 kibble 1/2 home cooked (or 1/2 honest kitchen whichever I feed that meal) and the babies just dance with excitement for their meal.

@cali jenn - I started the home cooked for my foster Rita, I wanted to add some weight to her poor skinny little body and thought she would enjoy being spoiled with the home cooking. she had it pretty rough before she came to stay with me, although it was a short time (she has already been adopted) she loved her meal times :)

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I just did my first round of home cooking yesterday and Tank LOVES it! He pushes his bowl all around the floor making sure that he doesn't miss one little nibble or lick! We still do kibble (NVI Salmon) in the morning - almost one cup with a spoonful of yogurt or cottage cheese and then one cup cooked food, warmed for dinner. These pups are so much fun to spoil! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
For me ... I'm going to be doing home cooked for all eight dogs. So if I had to cook enough to feed all of them 100% home cooked I just wouldn't have the storage space in the fridge for it all. I know I could freeze some of it, but you can guarantee that either two things would happen. I'd forget to take it out of the freezer, or we'd take it out and neither of us would remember to put it in the fridge when it was defrosted. (Both things happen regularly in our house).

And as Sunday is my only day off, then I wouldn't have another day during the week when I would have the opportunity to make up a second batch.

So this seems to be the easiest way for us. I also do love Fromm, and all of them are doing VERY well on it. It's just something that I want to try doing for them, and I'll be honest ... I think it's going to save me a LOT of money!!! :blush2:

I'm running into this with my 20 paws. Always thawing meat out. You know that 120 didn't last near as long as I thought it would. I had to buy 3 more cases today, freeze tonight so I can grind my butt off tomorrow night after work.. I'm so proud of you guys who are cooking home made for your fur kids. I did and I know how much they appreciate it. Really they do! good job

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
So, I want to jump on this bandwagon! Is it okay to use ground meat that you can buy at the store or should I actually be using meat and bone then grinding? I don't have a grinder so I want to try and keep this as easy as I can for now. I'm happy with Acana so I'd like to do maybe 1/2 and 1/2 or even just a topper.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
So, I want to jump on this bandwagon! Is it okay to use ground meat that you can buy at the store or should I actually be using meat and bone then grinding? I don't have a grinder so I want to try and keep this as easy as I can for now. I'm happy with Acana so I'd like to do maybe 1/2 and 1/2 or even just a topper.

I use the ground meat ... [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] only mentioned grinding because she was doing home cooked but has just switched to raw and is grinding all the raw stuff down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online