Here I go!!!! Just a few questions .......

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So I went grocery shopping yesterday and I have all my ingredients .....

Ground beef
Frozen mixed veggies
Fresh spinach
Frozen blueberries
Brown rice
Hard boiled eggs

I'm going to do 50% beef, 25% rice and 25% veggies & fruit. Then add a hard boiled egg maybe two or three times a week.

I have a question for those of you who have done this .......

I intend to do 50% home cooked and keep the other half Fromm Beef Frittata. But how much of the home cooked food do I do. For example, the two schnauzers have half a cup of kibble at each meal, so do I do a quarter kibble and a quarter home-cooked?? Or go slightly more than a quarter cup of the home cooked because of the volume. The kibble is dried and quite compact so it doesn't seem right to just go by cup ............. hope I"m making sense here!!! :blink:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
yes you make sense. I always went 1/2 kibble and 1/2 cooked. I'm excited for you!!! wait until you get all that extra attention and the sounds of approval

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
yes you make sense. I always went 1/2 kibble and 1/2 cooked. I'm excited for you!!! wait until you get all that extra attention and the sounds of approval

So, for example, did you replace a cup of kibble with a cup of homecooked?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Whenever I add kibble to the home cooked (b/c i don't have enuf of home cooked prepared), i also would do 1/2 and 1/2 (they get about a cup of food at each meal). So Karen, your estimation of 1/4 cup kibble + 1/4 cup home cooking sounds good.

Hope it works for your pooches. I love doing the home cooking for T and F and they love it too.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have one question, your mixed veggies, do they contain corn? we don't want any corn :poo:

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
I have one question, your mixed veggies, do they contain corn? we don't want any corn :poo:

I got what they call the california mix .. it's the carrots, cauliflower and broccoli ... I use them as treats so I know they all like them and there are no side effects. The spinach I got fresh so I'm just going to chop that finely, and add it when I've cooked it all up together. Same with the blueberries .. add them at the last minute too.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Whenever I add kibble to the home cooked (b/c i don't have enuf of home cooked prepared), i also would do 1/2 and 1/2 (they get about a cup of food at each meal). So Karen, your estimation of 1/4 cup kibble + 1/4 cup home cooking sounds good.

Hope it works for your pooches. I love doing the home cooking for T and F and they love it too.

Just like Henny said, half kibble /half home made, you're going to be a hit!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I got what they call the california mix .. it's the carrots, cauliflower and broccoli ... I use them as treats so I know they all like them and there are no side effects. The spinach I got fresh so I'm just going to chop that finely, and add it when I've cooked it all up together. Same with the blueberries .. add them at the last minute too.

OH YEAH sounds delish

L

Lucy-licious

Everybody already said equal quantities :2thumbs: you won't regret the change hunny. Both Billy and Lucy love their home cooked toppers x
Our mix is a 1/3 of each meat/rice or pasta/veg though but thats just how the neutricionist told us to do it for Billy cos he was soo young and on full home cooked x

oh and when you give them egg try giving them a whole boiled one occasionally rather than scrambled. It's messy but these two love chasing it around :ROFL: Sardines are also great as a little super once or twice a week too. X

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can add beans too, they're cheap and good for you. Makes it so yummy too. Yes I replace the same amount with home cooked. I drain most of the fat, but leave a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Everybody already said equal quantities :2thumbs: you won't regret the change hunny. Both Billy and Lucy love their home cooked toppers x
Our mix is a 1/3 of each meat/rice or pasta/veg though but thats just how the neutricionist told us to do it for Billy cos he was soo young and on full home cooked x

oh and when you give them egg try giving them a whole boiled one occasionally rather than scrambled. It's messy but these two love chasing it around :ROFL: Sardines are also great as a little super once or twice a week too. X

I'm only going with the 50/25/25 split because that's what I've seen Sherry mention it ..... :bigeyes: The eggs are now all hardboiled and sat in the fridge. Usually it's Tom who feeds them all, so I'm going to have to make this as SIMPLE as possible .... if you know what I mean! ;)

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
You can add beans too, they're cheap and good for you. Makes it so yummy too. Yes I replace the same amount with home cooked. I drain most of the fat, but leave a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

I used kidney beans for Maggie's food because of their cancer fighting and immune system boosting qualities .... I may add some of those into their food too but I want to stick with this formula for a couple of weeks and see what happens!

I'm quite excited at finally getting to start this ..... :up:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm only going with the 50/25/25 split because that's what I've seen Sherry mention it ..... :bigeyes: The eggs are now all hardboiled and sat in the fridge. Usually it's Tom who feeds them all, so I'm going to have to make this as SIMPLE as possible .... if you know what I mean! ;)

what time do we eat? :cooking:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I add about 1/4 cup of homecooking to 3/4 cup kibble for morning and night. Noon time I have cut back to 1/2 cup kibble and just a topper- either yogurt or cottage cheese. He is thriving on this!! but I must say, although his poops are nice and formed, they have increased in numbers but I don't mind. He loves his food soooooooo much!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.