Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
As many of you already know I have a new foster that is very under weight ... I was thinking of cooking some Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato (adding it to her kibble) to help slowly add some weight on her ... any advice on other things to add?? Not sure why this feels different then cooking for my dogs but my dogs have never been starved, I want to add healthy weight but not to make her fat ... does that make sense?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, other things you can try adding to your home cooked food are brown rice, green beans, beef instead of chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, maybe some coconut oil. Some treats you can give between meals as extras are strawberries, banana, blueberries, cottage cheese, cheese strings, and plain yogurt, or Greek yogurt. I'm sure she'll love being spoiled by you, and all her extra TLC, and the extra meals she's been lacking. Good luck and enjoy her. Keep us posted on her progress, and give her hugs from me.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
How about adding an egg--hardboiled or sunny side up--to her kibble? that has some good fat in it to put some weight on her. Or a little lowfat cottage cheese. I do home cooking and usually make a concoction of rice, black beans (or kidney or pinto), string beans, a protein (chicken or beef usually), and a bit of yogurt on top.

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
excellent ideas!!! thank you [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I don't have a home cooking recipe suggestion but I just would like to add that to get an underweight dog to gain healthy weight, gradually increase his food intake over time and make the added servings meat heavy. Then increase the amount of exercise the dog is getting to convert the proteins to muscle weight.

Hope this helps.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
As many of you already know I have a new foster that is very under weight ... I was thinking of cooking some Chicken, Brown Rice & Sweet Potato (adding it to her kibble) to help slowly add some weight on her ... any advice on other things to add?? Not sure why this feels different then cooking for my dogs but my dogs have never been starved, I want to add healthy weight but not to make her fat ... does that make sense?

As a base you could use ground beef or roast beef, shredded. Leave some fat in there. The base should be 50% of the meal. To that add 25% veggie , I have used broccoli, green bean, peas and carrot's . not all at the same time. As a carb, oatmeal is great. It sticks to the ribs. Then I would shred an apple or two with the skin on. It smells good , it tastes good. I always mixed my home cooked meals with their kibble.

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I used chicken & sweet potato as the base this time, just because I keep it on hand for my babies ... I started it last night so it would be ready to start adding the goodies this morning ... I used some of the stock in their breakfast Rita went crazy!! Oh my gosh she ate like she had NEVER been fed in her life, she loved just the stock :lol: can't wait until tonight when she gets the real stuff!!!

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] - do you cook the apple or shred it in after its been cooked?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@Sherry - do you cook the apple or shred it in after its been cooked?

I don't cook the apple, it's the last thing I do. shred raw apple with a shredder, stir into the home made mixture . I keep it refrigerated for up to a 6 days. Then I make the home made a little different for the next week. using one of the different veggies or rice instead of oatmeal. don't make the home made sticky, add water to a nice consistency

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I don't cook the apple, it's the last thing I do. shred raw apple with a shredder, stir into the home made mixture . I keep it refrigerated for up to a 6 days. Then I make the home made a little different for the next week. using one of the different veggies or rice instead of oatmeal. don't make the home made sticky, add water to a nice consistency

Excellent :) I will add in the apple when it's all done ... this time they get Chicken, Pinto Beans, Sweet Potato, Brown Rice & Apple (should there be more?) ... it smells yummy!! Rita went crazy with just chicken stock added to her kibble this morning :lol: pretty sure she has never had it this good in her life!

Last edited:
OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I don't have a home cooking recipe suggestion but I just would like to add that to get an underweight dog to gain healthy weight, gradually increase his food intake over time and make the added servings meat heavy. Then increase the amount of exercise the dog is getting to convert the proteins to muscle weight.

Hope this helps.

Thank you ... soon as she gets all the stitches out I will start taking her on walks, right now she is on strict rest orders by the vet, which she is not all that unhappy about :lol: she is loving being in the house on a doggie bed.

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
UPDATE: Recipe Dog Tested Dog Approved :) they all loved their taste test!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thank you ... soon as she gets all the stitches out I will start taking her on walks, right now she is on strict rest orders by the vet, which she is not all that unhappy about :lol: she is loving being in the house on a doggie bed.

This kinda reminds me of that movie "Blind Side" when the guy said, "I've never had a bed before"...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think we need some pics ............... :yes:

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] - oh my gosh that was a great movie and now that you said that, it is how she responded to being in the house! The first day she was scared and desperate to get outside then watching my dogs she settled down some and then found a spot (a dog bed) and just curled up and went to sleep.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.