Homecooking

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I apologize if this is a duplicate post- I posted this morning but I don't see it- maybe I forgot to submit it, but here goes!
I would like to add some homecooking to Bogey's food. He is on Purevita Bison and doing well on it. When he was on it with the rice and hamburger (as I was transitioning him on it) his poop was nice and small and firm. Never had it like that when he was on the Fromms. Once he got off the rice and hamburger, I wanted to add some extra protein because the Purevita is a little lower than other dogfoods. I tried the NVI Beef medallions, adding only a quarter of one at a time, and Bogeys poop got very soft serve and he doubled his frequency. So now I would like to add my own home cooking to the kibble- like 75% kibbble and 25% homecooking.
Here is my questions: If I boil lamb, beef or chicken, am I losing any of the nutritious content of the protein? Do you think adding a cooked egg for breakfast will increas the protein by much? I was thinking and egg at breakfast, some cottage cheese and veggies at lunch and some meat like burger, or lamb at dinner. Any suggestions out there from home cookers? [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]: would love your input!
Thanks

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I do half and half, my guys get kibble by itself in the morning, and home cooked in the evening. I use ground beef, a package of frozen mixed vegetables and fresh cooked green beans, plus brown rice. I brown the ground beef in water, then add the veggies and cooked rice, mix it all together, then divide it into portions. It can be stored in the fridge if used within 3 days, but if you make more or don't use it up in 3 days, then freeze it. I have a Food Saver vacuum sealer, so the food doesn't get freezer burned, but you can use freezer bags as well.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am considering doing the same thing .... doing home cooked and kibble. let's tag [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] who I know home cooks too,

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Here is my questions: If I boil lamb, beef or chicken, am I losing any of the nutritious content of the protein? Do you think adding a cooked egg for breakfast will increas the protein by much? I was thinking and egg at breakfast, some cottage cheese and veggies at lunch and some meat like burger, or lamb at dinner. Any suggestions out there from home cookers? @cowsmom: would love your input!
Thanks

If your dog is healthy you don't have to boil the beef. That is only done if the animal is overweight or has issues with his pancreas or other digestive issues like vomiting. You can brown it like you would for chili and just drain as much of the fat off as possible. You can even just rinse it in water to remove the fat.. it's easier. Some fat is good for them so you don't want to remove all of it if you don't have to.

Cooking the meat changes the properties of it so yes, you do lose some nutrients. Every morning I mix a raw egg into their bowls, again if the dog is healthy it is the best thing for them in the protein department. Abby had kidney issues so she could only have the white.

Your meal plan sounds perfect just be sure to blanch the veggies before serving.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i was wondering if the fromm you were feeding was the beef one? is so he may just not do well with beef. you may want to try one of the other protein of the medallions before you give up on it completely or you can just do the home cooking which is awsome also. i boiled sarahs chicken when i gave it to her but yes cooking it does take away the nutrients and i give my dogs an egg every 3 days or so but i cook it to cause i tried a raw egg and they wouldnt eat it but honestly i didnt keep at it and there is cottage cheese and yogurt but be careful with the milk aspect as some are allergic to it.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
i was wondering if the fromm you were feeding was the beef one? is so he may just not do well with beef. you may want to try one of the other protein of the medallions before you give up on it completely or you can just do the home cooking which is awsome also. i boiled sarahs chicken when i gave it to her but yes cooking it does take away the nutrients and i give my dogs an egg every 3 days or so but i cook it to cause i tried a raw egg and they wouldnt eat it but honestly i didnt keep at it and there is cottage cheese and yogurt but be careful with the milk aspect as some are allergic to it.

well, he did great on the boiled hamburger and rice- stools firmed right up, we're small. Then I added the Fromms and it was ok until he got to 1/2 cup then the soft serve became soupy. I really don't think it's the beef. Fromms has ALOT of stuff in it, multiple protein sources, etc. so, I thought I would try to add my own stuff since I know he does well with the bison. I just feel he needs a little more protein. As for the beef medallions, again, there are a lot of extra things in there. Wen I tell you he was pooping a lot, it was 6-7 times a day and HUGE soft serve that you almost couldn't pick up without a scoop! I just don't think that's right. So, I will try some homemade and let you know how we do! Thanks for the input!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well, he did great on the boiled hamburger and rice- stools firmed right up, we're small. Then I added the Fromms and it was ok until he got to 1/2 cup then the soft serve became soupy. I really don't think it's the beef. Fromms has ALOT of stuff in it, multiple protein sources, etc. so, I thought I would try to add my own stuff since I know he does well with the bison. I just feel he needs a little more protein. As for the beef medallions, again, there are a lot of extra things in there. Wen I tell you he was pooping a lot, it was 6-7 times a day and HUGE soft serve that you almost couldn't pick up without a scoop! I just don't think that's right. So, I will try some homemade and let you know how we do! Thanks for the input!!
oh oik sorry i missed that about the beef n rice but yes lots of poop is not good either. sarah i find even if i dont think it has something in it she is allergic to she will get red feet. she is eating beef freeze dried but i still can only feed her 1/2 cup or she gets red feet n stuff so go figure. are you going to keep feeding the pure vita to or just homemade.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh oik sorry i missed that about the beef n rice but yes lots of poop is not good either. sarah i find even if i dont think it has something in it she is allergic to she will get red feet. she is eating beef freeze dried but i still can only feed her 1/2 cup or she gets red feet n stuff so go figure. are you going to keep feeding the pure vita to or just homemade.
i am going to continue the Purevita and add homemade " toppers" . 75/25 split. I'll keep you posted!! Learning so much here! Thanks!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i am going to continue the Purevita and add homemade " toppers" . 75/25 split. I'll keep you posted!! Learning so much here! Thanks!
well there are lots of other raw food than that so at some point you may want to try another brand for protein. i am in the process of trying some new things on sarah. just play with it as every bully is different. im thinking of trying raw eggs myself again. there is a thread here somewhere called eggs or something i believe in the raw feeding section where i told of my last attempt at feeding my dogs raw eggs.

Members online

No members online now.