Home Cooking is working swell!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I just cancelled my petflow order for this month and putting all three dogs on home cooking. Much cheaper and I also know what exactly they are eating by giving them all home ingredients.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am intrigued by this but simply don't have the time to do it!!!! :down:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Here is a picture of Tate I took a few minutes ago. I was trying to find a "before" pic but couldn't find anything comparable and in the same lighting to make a fair comparison. In any case, the brownish area where my finger is used to be a darker rust color and would be constantly weepy and wet. Not much wetness nowadays and getting a tad lighter. :D

IMG_2521.jpg

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Tate's face is looking good Henny. Thanks for the pic. I'm still not sure what's causing Emma's tear staining yet but as you saw it's dark and very rusty looking. Here's even goes above her eyes into her fold.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Here's how I spent my entire afternoon. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] is right it takes time. I roasted a 13 lb. roast for them today. Shred fresh veggies were, broccoli, green pep, carrots , tomato and a bag of blueberry's that I froze. Here's a before and after pic.
008.jpg014.jpg015.jpg019.jpg
I don't have a lot of rules when I cook for them, mainly these percentages ....meat 50% carb 25% and veg 25%
I do feed them kibble also, I serve up 1/2 & 1/2 The preferred Kibble of choice right now is Nutrisca grain free and no potato
beef or fish either one. I love making homemade because the sounds they make when they are eating is telling me they are loving it. And then I know how good it is for them, the benefits are so worth it. today I made enough meat to freeze 2 batches and keep one in the fridge, this will last us til Thursday or Friday what you see in the bowl.

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I've been home cooking for at least a year now. Mostly I just take chicken thighs, rip off the skin and as much fat as I can and quickly pan sear. They eat is bones and all. Sometimes I toss in some veggies and if I make a little gravy I also add a grain like bulgur or cracked barley. Once a week they get liver or chicken livers. Sometimes I season their food at the mister's insistence, but no salt and no sugar. They love most herbs and greens. I troll the supermarket meat cases for marked down beef, veal, lamb, etc. They love salmon, would you believe? I only feed them once a day, but they get snacks like carrots and I leave kibble out if they get hungry at night before I get home. I try to basically follow a raw prey model, but do sear the outsides to kill any bacteria and it adds flavor.

I agree with [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], I am afraid of preservatives and additives. However, I do keep cheap canned food on hand. It comes in handy if I am not feeling well or when we had hurricane Sandy. Sort of like feeding them some fast food occasionally. they could not believe their luck!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have to applaud you ladies...seriously...I LOATHE tear stains but apparently, not enough to COOK for these dogs. I rarely ever even cook for myself actually....

I AM going to try the filtered water. The Brita pitcher now comes in RED so I can buy one.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Here's how I spent my entire afternoon. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] is right it takes time. I roasted a 13 lb. roast for them today. Shred fresh veggies were, broccoli, green pep, carrots , tomato and a bag of blueberry's that I froze. Here's a before and after pic.
View attachment 31725View attachment 31726View attachment 31727View attachment 31728
I don't have a lot of rules when I cook for them, mainly these percentages ....meat 50% carb 25% and veg 25%
I do feed them kibble also, I serve up 1/2 & 1/2 The preferred Kibble of choice right now is Nutrisca grain free and no potato
beef or fish either one. I love making homemade because the sounds they make when they are eating is telling me they are loving it. And then I know how good it is for them, the benefits are so worth it. today I made enough meat to freeze 2 batches and keep one in the fridge, this will last us til Thursday or Friday what you see in the bowl.

I did a kind of home cooking for Maggie when we found out she had cancer. I researched all the cancer beating, and immune boosting foods and made up this mix that we added to her Fromm. It looked so good I tasted it ................ it was GOOD!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I feed our guys half and half, they get Fromms Beef Frittata in the morning, and home cooked for their evening meal. So far I've only tried one recipe, but will definetely try some different recipes in the future. When I do, I will share them here with everyone.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
View attachment 31725View attachment 31726View attachment 31727View attachment 31728

Ohh look at that cookbook. Is it any good?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ohh look at that cookbook. Is it any good?

oh yes it's very good, but only if you want to spoil your bully :blink:

when I bought it. I bought a spare to put up for the next Auction here. You should bid on it :2thumbs:

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
When is it [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]?

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
OMG I'm having the same problem with Nigel would love to try this...how do you cook the ground beef and pasta shells? I mean I know how I cook them for myself but for them?
Are you mixing it all up together? Thanks for sharing!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.