cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I've been giving Tate homecooked food for the past 10 days and have noticed a considerable reduction in his tear stains. His face would usually be drippy and wet, creating those rusty colored stains in his deep wrinkles below the eyes and around the eyes, and nowadays things are getting much clearer and he's not so "drippy" any more. I will post pictures soon. I still have some time to go with it but just wanted to let [MENTION=5228]Zoey1974[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] know, since these two are the ones who gave me the heads up on such a diet.

:2thumbs:

I've been feeding him a mixture of ground beef, potatoes, carrots, green beans, black beans, and pasta shells. I will probably make some kind of roast in the slow cooker next. Oh, I'm also giving him filtered water so this is likely playing a role in the tear stains too.:yes:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Good job, Mamma! I might have to start that with Ruggles. Since we switched to NVI LID Turkey his tear stains have darkened a lot. Ruggles is allergic to chicken, beef, pork, and lamb so I'd have to use ground turkey!

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
:jumping: I'm so glad it's working for you!!! It really does make it worth the extra work to see the results. I can't wait to see pictures!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Glad its going well :2thumbs: I'll sometimes cook ground beef, blaack beans, string beans as a topper for Brutus

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I've been cooking for Oliver "Tidus' hamburger dinner" since a week ago Wednesday. Haven't really noticed a difference in his tear stains, goopy eyes, or face smell. But our filter on our faucet needs to be changed also so he hasn't been getting filtered water for a couple of weeks now. I'm beginning to believe that his issues are not food but environmental and changing him to home cooked is not going to help. I'm going to continue to try it for a month though and go get the dang filters for the faucet and then see if there are any changes.

L

Lucy-licious

Thats great, that he's doing so well on it. billy has been on home cooked since he came home to us we're on our 3rd attempt of introducing kibble the last two times he got bad bad hives....this time it's day 4 and so far so good. Had he been an older dog past puppy phase I would have kept him home cooked no problem but I worry about him getting all the right bits and minerals needed for good puppy growth.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yay!! So glad you are seeing improvement! :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh thats so wonderful your seeing a difference. sometimes i think its not just the protein and carb in the food that can cause problems but whatever preservatives and such to. yay mom :2thumbs:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I was looking at Tate's face this morning before work and was quite pleased. Like I mentioned before, his face is clearing up. The rusty-red stains in his wrinkles have faded to a lighter beigy color. I know i said i'd take a pic and I will later when I get home. I did also change his water to "filtered spring water" so i'm certain this is contributing to the overall results as well.

My question is, how long do you do this homecooking? if i revert back to his dog food, i'd be afraid of the stains coming back. So i'm wondering, those who do homecook, are you continuing indefinitely? @desertskybulldogs, [MENTION=5228]Zoey1974[/MENTION]

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I pretty much plan on cooking indefinitely. It is easier for me though as I work out of an office in my home so I am kind of always here. If this isn't feasible for you, maybe do it until he is cleared up and then transition back. Keep the filtered water and see what results you get? I also do Gold Bond powder in the folds a few times a week for maintenance and wipe them every other day. I can imagine with a full-time job out of the house that this can be a lot of extra work!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am keeping up on it. If I ever feel like not doing it or forget to take out the meat from the freezer I feed the Fromm in between :)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay, that all sounds good. I'm definitely going to keep doing it. I actually find it easy to manage--just prep a week's worth at a time, store it in fridge or freezer and then warm it up. It's kind of fun trying to figure out what recipe to make for Tate each time. I think of giving it to Finn too but he's doing pretty good on the kibble. Thanks guys!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online