Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Cooking is working swell!

Bully's Bikes and Books! Zoey1974's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Home Cooking is working swell!

I pretty much plan on cooking indefinitely. It is easier for me though as I work out of an office in my home so I am kind of always here. If this isn't feasible for you, maybe do it until he is cleared up and then transition back. Keep the filtered water and see what results you get? I also do Gold Bond powder in the folds a few times a week for maintenance and wipe them every other day. I can imagine with a full-time job out of the house that this can be a lot of extra work!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I am keeping up on it. If I ever feel like not doing it or forget to take out the meat from the freezer I feed the Fromm in between

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Okay, that all sounds good. I'm definitely going to keep doing it. I actually find it easy to manage--just prep a week's worth at a time, store it in fridge or freezer and then warm it up. It's kind of fun trying to figure out what recipe to make for Tate each time. I think of giving it to Finn too but he's doing pretty good on the kibble. Thanks guys!

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

I just cancelled my petflow order for this month and putting all three dogs on home cooking. Much cheaper and I also know what exactly they are eating by giving them all home ingredients.
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I am intrigued by this but simply don't have the time to do it!!!!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Here is a picture of Tate I took a few minutes ago. I was trying to find a "before" pic but couldn't find anything comparable and in the same lighting to make a fair comparison. In any case, the brownish area where my finger is used to be a darker rust color and would be constantly weepy and wet. Not much wetness nowadays and getting a tad lighter.

-img_2521-jpg

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Tate's face is looking good Henny. Thanks for the pic. I'm still not sure what's causing Emma's tear staining yet but as you saw it's dark and very rusty looking. Here's even goes above her eyes into her fold.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Here's how I spent my entire afternoon. @kazzy220 is right it takes time. I roasted a 13 lb. roast for them today. Shred fresh veggies were, broccoli, green pep, carrots , tomato and a bag of blueberry's that I froze. Here's a before and after pic.
    -008-jpg-014-jpg-015-jpg-019-jpg
    I don't have a lot of rules when I cook for them, mainly these percentages ....meat 50% carb 25% and veg 25%
    I do feed them kibble also, I serve up 1/2 & 1/2 The preferred Kibble of choice right now is Nutrisca grain free and no potato
    beef or fish either one. I love making homemade because the sounds they make when they are eating is telling me they are loving it. And then I know how good it is for them, the benefits are so worth it. today I made enough meat to freeze 2 batches and keep one in the fridge, this will last us til Thursday or Friday what you see in the bowl.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

I've been home cooking for at least a year now. Mostly I just take chicken thighs, rip off the skin and as much fat as I can and quickly pan sear. They eat is bones and all. Sometimes I toss in some veggies and if I make a little gravy I also add a grain like bulgur or cracked barley. Once a week they get liver or chicken livers. Sometimes I season their food at the mister's insistence, but no salt and no sugar. They love most herbs and greens. I troll the supermarket meat cases for marked down beef, veal, lamb, etc. They love salmon, would you believe? I only feed them once a day, but they get snacks like carrots and I leave kibble out if they get hungry at night before I get home. I try to basically follow a raw prey model, but do sear the outsides to kill any bacteria and it adds flavor.

I agree with @cowsmom, I am afraid of preservatives and additives. However, I do keep cheap canned food on hand. It comes in handy if I am not feeling well or when we had hurricane Sandy. Sort of like feeding them some fast food occasionally. they could not believe their luck!
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I have to applaud you ladies...seriously...I LOATHE tear stains but apparently, not enough to COOK for these dogs. I rarely ever even cook for myself actually....

I AM going to try the filtered water. The Brita pitcher now comes in RED so I can buy one.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Here's how I spent my entire afternoon. @kazzy220 is right it takes time. I roasted a 13 lb. roast for them today. Shred fresh veggies were, broccoli, green pep, carrots , tomato and a bag of blueberry's that I froze. Here's a before and after pic.
    -008-jpg-014-jpg-015-jpg-019-jpg
    I don't have a lot of rules when I cook for them, mainly these percentages ....meat 50% carb 25% and veg 25%
    I do feed them kibble also, I serve up 1/2 & 1/2 The preferred Kibble of choice right now is Nutrisca grain free and no potato
    beef or fish either one. I love making homemade because the sounds they make when they are eating is telling me they are loving it. And then I know how good it is for them, the benefits are so worth it. today I made enough meat to freeze 2 batches and keep one in the fridge, this will last us til Thursday or Friday what you see in the bowl.
    I did a kind of home cooking for Maggie when we found out she had cancer. I researched all the cancer beating, and immune boosting foods and made up this mix that we added to her Fromm. It looked so good I tasted it ................ it was GOOD!!!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I feed our guys half and half, they get Fromms Beef Frittata in the morning, and home cooked for their evening meal. So far I've only tried one recipe, but will definetely try some different recipes in the future. When I do, I will share them here with everyone.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads