Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Here is my recipe for what I am feeding Tidus along with a multivitamin.

2lb hamburger
2 can beans *kidney, black, white, whatever.....
1 cup water
1 cup frozen veggies (I love using broccoli or the Normady style mix which has carrots, broccoli, squash and califlower)
1 TBSP coconut oil
1/4 cup rice or dry pasta
Sprinkle with garlic POWDER--- not salt

Cook in a pan until everything is soft/cooked, refridgerate leftovers. Good for 3 days. Reheat in microwave for about 1 minute. I usually give about 1 c to adults and 1.5 cups for older puppies. Not sure what I would give a young pup yet that is under 16 weeks of age.

Story behind this recipe:

I had become frustrated with the constant battle of Tidus's rings around his eyes. We had been to the eye doctors, and finally I got so fed up with them and their so called "trying to help his eyes" I gave up. His eyes we so swelled but he showed no sign of allergies. Of course it looked like he had entropion because of the amount of swelling. Since he was young we of course wanted to wait if he needed corrective surgery.

I found an overnight success with changing him to Fromm Beef Frittata. No more problems. Swelling was gone. Entropion was gone. Except the darn ring around the eyes. It was like he leaked that orange color out of his eyes. I tried EVERYTHING.

A year goes by and one day [MENTION=925]wfd38383[/MENTION] posted about tear stains. He was having a huge problem with Senor Chubby. A while later, he posted he accidently ran out of food so we suggested bland diet until it arrived. Later he posted that while Senor Chubby was on bland diet, the stains went away.

So I thought I would try that. Tried EVERYTHING else. Well, did it about a week and it did not work, so I stopped. Then I tried doing so home cooked meals here and there but he was getting some runny poos so I stopped again. Then recently I was running low on food and new I would not get it for about 5 days or longer so I started it again, this time using what I learned here on the forum, as I believe before I was giving too much pasta / rice.

Well, I started seeing an improvement after about a week. Not just in his eyes, but his coat too. His smell. His white fur. His weight. Now 3 weeks later I can see a substantial difference.

I still give him kibble, just on various mealtimes or when I don't have any of it left.

IMG_5803.jpgIMG_5846.jpgIMG_5848.jpg

Here is Tidus BEFORE the home cooking:
IMG_8911.jpg

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
And not that it applies to your situation, but from researching and talking to my wonderful new vet, I found this out when I was putting together Maggie's new diet.

Beef purifies blood and is the best protein source for this.

Carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli are all super foods that boost the immune system.

Beans inhibit cancer cells.

So you are giving many health benefits aswell!! :up:

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] that is wonderful to know!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No way, excellent info and I will never forget, helps others learn from our losses xx :hug:

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have noticed NO gas at all. Nice poop too while we are on the subject!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]...thank you for sharing your recipe and your tips. It is difficult for me
to get out often enough to do the raw diet, also the freezer space needed would be a big
problem. I have been thinking of doing what you are doing especially since reading about
Tidus and seeing before & after pics of him (my goodness but he is so handsome, love his
face). Mr Brutie was on Iams, had bad, smelly and frequent gas and frequent eye goopies.
His coat looked okay and he didn't scratch too often. I wanted to put him on Avoderm but
Petsmart was out of one I was looking for so put him on Nature's Recipe, grain free Salmon
w/Sweet Potato & Pumpkin. Gas and eye goopies cleared up but now, along top of his back
are thinning hair and rashy areas under the hair but no sores or scabs. Since summer is here
he sneezes when going outside, he was on 10mg of generic Claritin when I got him and I've
kept him on it. He's very itchy now even tho I wash his paws after coming inside, he scoots
his btt against the area rugs until raw, I'm treating w/Neosporin & hydrocortisone cream.

I'm going to switch his kibble again for 'on hand' but am going too put him on your diet. Are
the only supplements given to Tidus a multi-vit and the garlic powder? Do you give raw bones?

Thanks for any help...Texas Carol & Mr Brutie

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No other supplements, I do worry about the amount of fat he is getting from it. I may have to alter the recipe (like omit butter and drain fat) if he starts to get chunky. But for the first time he is looking just right. I love Fromm but I do believe it is quite a lean food. Lean is good tho. But I could never get him to gain a little, he always looked skinny to me compared to the rest of my bunch.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks for the recipe. I could use this as a topper for Brutus and Chanel on occassion :2thumbs:

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] The hamburger is cooked correct (I know you said throw everything in the pan, but just want to double check) There was another recipe I read that said raw ground hamburger or turkey.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] The hamburger is cooked correct (I know you said throw everything in the pan, but just want to double check) There was another recipe I read that said raw ground hamburger or turkey.

Yes I cook it for at least 30 mins to an hour, the frozen veggies will be soft and it will be like a gravy from the rice/pasta starch.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Here is my recipe for what I am feeding Tidus along with a multivitamin.

2lb hamburger
2 can beans *kidney, black, white, whatever.....
1 cup water
1 cup frozen veggies (I love using broccoli or the Normady style mix which has carrots, broccoli, squash and califlower)
1 TBSP butter
1/4 cup rice or dry pasta
Sprinkle with garlic POWDER--- not salt

Cook in a pan until everything is soft/cooked, refridgerate leftovers. Good for 3 days. Reheat in microwave for about 1 minute. I usually give about 1 c to adults and 1.5 cups for older puppies. Not sure what I would give a young pup yet that is under 16 weeks of age.

Story behind this recipe:

I had become frustrated with the constant battle of Tidus's rings around his eyes. We had been to the eye doctors, and finally I got so fed up with them and their so called "trying to help his eyes" I gave up. His eyes we so swelled but he showed no sign of allergies. Of course it looked like he had entropion because of the amount of swelling. Since he was young we of course wanted to wait if he needed corrective surgery.

I found an overnight success with changing him to Fromm Beef Frittata. No more problems. Swelling was gone. Entropion was gone. Except the darn ring around the eyes. It was like he leaked that orange color out of his eyes. I tried EVERYTHING.

A year goes by and one day @wfd38383 posted about tear stains. He was having a huge problem with Senor Chubby. A while later, he posted he accidently ran out of food so we suggested bland diet until it arrived. Later he posted that while Senor Chubby was on bland diet, the stains went away.

So I thought I would try that. Tried EVERYTHING else. Well, did it about a week and it did not work, so I stopped. Then I tried doing so home cooked meals here and there but he was getting some runny poos so I stopped again. Then recently I was running low on food and new I would not get it for about 5 days or longer so I started it again, this time using what I learned here on the forum, as I believe before I was giving too much pasta / rice.

Well, I started seeing an improvement after about a week. Not just in his eyes, but his coat too. His smell. His white fur. His weight. Now 3 weeks later I can see a substantial difference.

I still give him kibble, just on various mealtimes or when I don't have any of it left.

View attachment 24463View attachment 24464View attachment 24465

Here is Tidus BEFORE the home cooking:
View attachment 24466

I'm going to make this!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
making my first batch of Tidus's recipe!!!! Oliver is going to enjoy dinner tonight. Also, Ron came home for lunch when I was throwing everything in the pot and he said, "Geez, Ollie, I may have to eat some of that with you, looks delicious." I then told him [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said that sometimes Papa Delano grabs some while she's cooking hers LOL!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.