Sweet potato bread pudding

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
For the Pudding:

2 large sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 teaspoons butter
1-1 pound loaf day old bread, cut into cubes (about 6 cups) (we have a bakery in town that sells me yesterdays Challah bread for 1.50 a loaf :))

6 eggs, lightly beaten (for Abby's recipe we use 2 whole eggs & 5 whites)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon molasses (I use black strap molasses but regular will work too)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of allspice
Pinch of salt
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups milk (Abby gets low fat milk)

Peel, chop and steam the sweet potato until soft. Set aside to let cool.
Put the bread cubes into a buttered 9x13 baking dish.
Whisk together all of the other ingredients.
Mash the sweet potato and fold it into the egg mixture and slowly pour it over the bread. (You may have to gently toss it to make sure all of the bread gets wet) Let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes or in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour.

When cool enough to eat spoon about a cup into a bowl and lightly sprinkle with powered sugar if you like. Not too much sugar, just enough to keep the dog entertained.

NOW... if you want to feed this to people... you can make a pecan rum glaze to pour over top :up:

4 tbsp butter
1/2 c pecan halves
1 c brown sugar
3/4 c heavy cream
1/4 c rum
(or 1c heavy cream if you don't want the rum in it)

sautee the pecans in the butter until they smell good (sorry, I don't have a time for this.. couple of minutes maybe). Mix in the sugar and rum, cook until the sugar melts then add the cream. Whisk until all that is smooth.

Nutritiondata's website is wonky today so I can't pull up my recipe to get the calories/fat etc but as soon as it comes up I'll edit this for you.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Wow this sounds good!

It really is!! I'm always looking for new things to do with sweet potatoes so I find recipes that look good. I take out all of the animal unfriendly ingredients and add a few of my own as replacements. Since everything in it is from my pantry the family can eat it too.

That way Abby gets healthy, yummy treats and my kids stop complaining that the dog eats better than they do. It's a win win recipe :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
It really is!! I'm always looking for new things to do with sweet potatoes so I find recipes that look good. I take out all of the animal unfriendly ingredients and add a few of my own as replacements. Since everything in it is from my pantry the family can eat it too.

That way Abby gets healthy, yummy treats and my kids stop complaining that the dog eats better than they do. It's a win win recipe :)

:lol: Abby eats better than me too :) The pecan glaze sounds delicous

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
And now I'm hungry ............... :*(

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I love making stuff with sweet potatoes and this sounds super yummy, maybe this will have to be added to the thanksgiving food list ... treat for the dogs and a treat for us non-fur critters ... thank you for sharing the recipe!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I was going to say... please tell me this is for humans!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.