veggie mash

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I made Abby a vegetable mash yesterday that she absolutely LOVED!! I used organic veggies for her but maybe you wouldn't have to for a healthy dog?

2 large sweet potatoes
2 red peppers
4 carrots
1 head broccoli

I boiled all of that together until the potatoes were soft. Then I put 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1/2 tsp chopped garlic and 2 tablespoons of 3-6-9 omega blend oil and turned on the mixer until it was soft and lumpy. I have to keep her protein level low so I could only add 2 large, chopped hard boiled eggs. But for a healthy dog you could substitute whatever proteins you wanted.

When I tell you she can't get enough of this stuff I'm not kidding! I usually mix her meds into a tablespoon of applesauce and put it in the corner of the plate. She always eats that first. Not with this stuff. She doesn't even touch the applesauce now, she eats the veggies and begs for more.

Right now I have a vegetable/bean mixture cooking in the crock-pot cooking for her. I'll let you know how it turns out :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
mmm, sounds delish! Sounds like you're making baby food, you might as well open a company. :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] Wooohooo Abby! That sounds delicious! I agree with [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I will put an order in! lol

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was told that it was not safe for dogs to have garlic. Does anybody else know anything about this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] .... garlic is fine in small amounts -- it is good for keeping ticks/fleas away. When I had my babies on raw which was made specific to their needs -- there was garlic in it and it saved us from having to use K9Advantix for two years

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I was told that it was not safe for dogs to have garlic. Does anybody else know anything about this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Abby's nutritionist told me to add 1/2 tsp of raw garlic to all of the food that I cook for her. That might sound like a lot but I cook a big pot for her, it usually lasts 4 or 5 days.

There is an excellent write up on the sojo's website on garlic for dogs. The last paragraphs read... (I know I can't post links but can I copy and paste?)

"
Despite its healing qualities, Garlic contains a compound named thiosulphate. In extremely high levels thiosulphate can be a dangerous toxin that cause hemolytic anemia in dogs. But we’re not talking about garlic dog treats, supplemental garlic, or healthy table scraps that may have included fresh garlic in the recipe. We’re talking about situations where your pet sniffs out several bulbs of garlic you were about to use for a giant batch of homemade spaghetti sauce for the whole neighborhood and winds up eating 50 cloves in one sitting. We repeat . . . it would take up to 50 cloves for garlic to be harmful to your dog! 50 cloves of garlic wouldn’t be a good idea for anyone, let alone your dog. "

"
The bottom line there is that dogs and cats can get into many things around the house that are toxic if consumed in large quantities. But, when used in moderation, garlic can be a healthy supplement. According to Charlie Fox, the co-author of The Garlic Cure (McCleery & Sons, 2002), garlic can be used to stimulate and support immune function, trigger gastric juices for better digestion, encourage the growth of friendly bacteria, and prevent infections. He’s seen garlic reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer as well as improve blood sugar regulation and promote detoxification."

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Thanks for the info on garlic! Now my dogs can have garlic breath instead of fish breath!! =))

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] I just moved this to our home cooked meals section ... thought it would be useful!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.