Vegas stew anyone?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I believe she uses the canned and uses the water that is in the cans of each ingredient also. You could do anything you want really, chicken broth, water etc. I would think using fresh you would need to add some kind of liquid to make it more stew like.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
first of all the video was way too cool! I thought you were going to show us an edited picture of Vegas in a soup pot, I didn't know it was going to be a real recipe.
And you don't like the ingredients? I LOVE all the ingredients expect for the peppers.
Your babies are too precious. I really enjoyed Vegas' swagger, he is just too handsome. Thanks again for the videos, loved 'em

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION]

Yes....I add a couple of cups of water also.

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
This is totally off subject of the Vegas Stew, but I have a question for you. I noticed when you went to get Vegas that the baby gate appeared to just be leaning on the wall and Vegas was standing there, being ever-the-gentleman that he is. Doe she not try to push it down? I have to keep a baby gate across our laundry room (kitty boxes are in there) and would love to not have to put the gate up all the time-seems to be marking up the door frame. If what I saw was correct, do you have any suggestions on how to keep Rosie from pushing the gate over (and helping herself to some steaming piles of kitty :poo:)?

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
This is totally off subject of the Vegas Stew, but I have a question for you. I noticed when you went to get Vegas that the baby gate appeared to just be leaning on the wall and Vegas was standing there, being ever-the-gentleman that he is. Doe she not try to push it down? I have to keep a baby gate across our laundry room (kitty boxes are in there) and would love to not have to put the gate up all the time-seems to be marking up the door frame. If what I saw was correct, do you have any suggestions on how to keep Rosie from pushing the gate over (and helping herself to some steaming piles of kitty :poo:)?

I'm not really helpful here, but Ruckus just waits patiently on the other side of the gate too. I lean it up as a training tool so he doesn't jump on visitors when they come in. He waits until I move it and mist of the time his initial excitement is over and he's fine. With him it was like he just knew we didn't want him through the "blocked" area.

Lkane0322

Nov 27, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
I know this is an old post but my Bailey has been on Vegas Stew for a few months and he LOVES it. He has already lost 7 pounds. I mix it with his yucky perscription food and it really works. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks again for sharing...

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Made Vegas Stew for Princess while she is on her heartworm treatment since she isn't allowed to exercise or play for 2 months. I'm really hoping she will loose about 5-8 lbs! I made the recipe as you stated with all fresh veggies and the canned tomatoes, I also added carrots, celery, and a very little amount of Thyme and low sodium beef broth. The verdict is she LOVES it! As you can tell from the pics, she's a very messy eater! But she always gets every last crumb lol! I even gave a tiny bit to Gio and Diva and they loved it as well! Gio literally hates all veggies but he ate this right up as if it was a bowl of cheeseburgers lol! Thank you @Libra926! I will be making this every weekend and freezing half so it stays fresh for the end of the week! :)

Last edited:

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
To lessen the salt intake, rinse the canned ingredients. Fresh is always better, but it's not the right time of year usually.
The liquid in the pot is water.

And look at his swagger! Handsome SKINNY bulldog!

Video.jpg

I realize this post is older but I have a couple questions....first I read that tomatoes can cause tremors in canines? I have also read that canines do not have the correct enzymes to process fruits and vegetables properly mainly because they are carnivores. To the contrary, most really good dog foods add fruits and veggies and we do for our dogs. I would love to make a stew like this for our crew! We have 12 fur babies and currently feed dry kibble with boiled meat (fish, chicken, eggs, liver or beef) in it.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
This stew is designed for humans, but it was recommended by his vet to help Vegas lose weight. He was almost 70 pounds at the age of 2 and after we started him on this diet he lost almost 20 pounds. He is now a healthy 52 pounds. He has not been on this diet for almost 2 years, yet he still maintains this wonderful weight. I've not heard that tomatoes cause tremors. If I removed tomatoes from Orion's diet, she would be very upset. This is one baby girl who loves loves loves tomatoes

No [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], this was sent from my Droid Razr, not an iPhone... using Tapatalk 4.

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, cool. Thanks!

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Will do! Our 2 year old boy is nearly 70 lbs but he is very lean and thick but definitely not fat. We give fresh meat in their dry kibble, but I always like to try to mix it up a bit and what better and healthier way than some fresh veggies ;-)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Let me know if you decided to try it and how it goes!

I stumbled on this today. I think I'm going to make it for Dudley....this is basically the old Weight Watchers soup...the only things missing are the garlic and onions -- for obvious reasons. I'll make a big ol' pot of this version and Mommy and Dudley can both eat it...I'll just use low sodium versions. Thanks!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I stumbled on this today. I think I'm going to make it for Dudley....this is basically the old Weight Watchers soup...the only things missing are the garlic and onions -- for obvious reasons. I'll make a big ol' pot of this version and Mommy and Dudley can both eat it...I'll just use low sodium versions. Thanks!

Let us know the results!!

- - - Updated - - -

Let us know the results!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.