Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Every bulldog owner should ask their vet for some Panalog ointment. It is available by prescription only. This stuff works wonders on many things, but particularly great for sore / swollen nose ropes and wrinkles. Kills that rotten reddish brown gunk and promotes fast healing.

I always clean the area first with Malacetic Otic to remove any access gunk or build up. Then apply ointment in affected area.

I have also treated sores and minor ear problems with panalog.

panalog.jpg

Details, Details!

What is Panolog Ointment?
Panolog is a topical combination medication used to treat skin and ear disorders caused by infections or allergies.

Who is it for?
Panolog is for dogs and cats.

What are the benefits?
* Treats a wide range of bacterial and yeast skin infections
* Contains antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-itch and antifungal agents
* Treats certain inflammatory ear infections
* Topical form is easily applied to the skin or ears
Panolog treats a variety of inflammatory ear infections and skin infections caused by susceptible bacteria and yeast. Contains antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anti-itch and antifungal medications. Ointment is simple to apply to ears or skin.

How does Panolog Ointment work?
The neomycin and thiostrepton in Panolog are antibiotics that kill susceptible bacteria. Nystatin is the antifungal ingredient that is active against yeast infections. Triamcinolone is a corticosteroid that helps reduce inflammation and associated itching.

Is there a generic equivalent available?
There is an alternative brand, called Animax.

How is it given?
Always follow the dosage instructions provided by your veterinarian. If you have difficulty applying the medication, contact your veterinarian. The ear or area of skin should be thoroughly cleaned and dried before treatment. For the ear, remove any debris, crusty material, etc., with a suitable nonirritating ear cleaning solution. For the skin, use a skin cleansing solution to clean the lesion and adjacent area. Clip any excessive hair from the ear or treatment area as directed by your veterinarian.

What results can I expect?
The anti-itch component of Panolog generally works quite rapidly. The antibiotic and antifungal components will take several days to have a full effect.

What form(s) does it come in?
This medication comes in ointment form for topical application.

Pronunciation
PAN-a-log

Common Drug Name
Nystatin, neomycin, thiostrepton, and triamcinolone

What should I discuss with my veterinarian while considering Panolog Ointment?
If Panolog is to be used in the ear, your veterinarian should examine your pet's ear to make sure the ear drum is intact. Have your veterinarian or veterinary technician show you how to properly clean the ear and apply Panolog.

Notify your veterinarian of any other medications or supplements your dog is taking, and also if your dog has had any reactions to previous medications. Also tell your veterinarian if your pet is pregnant or has any hearing loss.

What should I do if I miss a dose?
If you miss a dose, apply it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the application you missed and go back to the regular schedule. Do not apply two doses at once.

What is the most important information I should know?
The ear should be clean and dry before applying Panolog. Panolog should not be used in animals with perforated eardrums. Always follow your veterinarian's directions on the use of this medication.

Who should not take it?
Not for use in animals hypersensitive (allergic) to any of the ingredients. Avoid contact with the eyes. Not for use in deep infections, puncture wounds, burns, or if pus is present. Panolog should not be used in animals with perforated eardrums. Always follow your veterinarian's directions on the use of this medication.

This medication should only be given to the pet for which it was prescribed.

What side effects may be seen when taking Panolog Ointment?
In rare instances, an animal may be sensitive to neomycin, causing redness in the area the medication was applied. If so, contact your veterinarian. When used in the ear, you may see loss of hearing or balance if the eardrum is not intact. If you see these signs, contact your veterinarian.

If ingested, or given at high doses or for prolonged periods of time, side effects related to the triamcinolone may be seen. The most common effect is an increase in the amount of drinking and urinating. Less commonly you may see an increased appetite and weight gain, panting, diarrhea, vomiting, and behavior changes. Contact your veterinarian immediately if side effects are noticed or if the condition worsens.

If your pet experiences an allergic reaction to the medication, signs may include facial swelling, hives, scratching, sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, shock, seizures, pale gums, cold limbs, or coma. If you observe any of these signs, contact your veterinarian immediately.

How is it stored?
Store at room temperature. Keep out of the reach of children and pets.

What should I do if I know of or suspect there has been an overdose?
Adverse reactions and toxicities are unlikely if used according to directions. If you know or suspect your pet has ingested this medication, or observe any unusual signs, symptoms, or behaviors in your pet, contact your veterinarian immediately

What should I avoid when giving my pet Panolog Ointment?
Notify your veterinarian of any other medications, including vitamins and supplements, your pet is taking while receiving Panolog. Consult your veterinarian before using this medication with any other medications, including vitamins and supplements, corticosteroids, or gentamicin, since interactions may occur.

mdn525

Aug 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Petunia aka "Tuni"
I was just prescribed this for Tuni's little bumps on her girly parts. Seems to be working great!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online