cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
We all want what we don't have huh?! I have super straight hair, it will NOT hold a curl at all. But I always wanted curly hair, always thought my straight hair was boring LOL

So true. I've always wanted naturally curly hair...so i got a perm last week and am now enjoying my "natural" curls :D

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
This thread is great! I also have, as I like to call it, kinky hair. It doesn't curl anymore (it did in high school and early 20s which was awesome, I was able to wear it both curly and straight due to my CHI) but it also isn't straight. It looks INSANE if I don't blow dry every day. Then I hit it with the CHI of course. My hair is in a stacked bob at my chin ... best choice I ever made. Cut down on drying/flat-ironing time and is so manageable! I did grow it out for the wedding last year and even lasted until the first warm day ... then I cut it all off so it was off my neck!

PS - for those who blow-dry/flat-iron ... some products I have found a HUGE help. (They are not cheap but totally worth the money. Especially after trying pretty much everything.) Bumble and bumble Tonic Lotion (It's a spray, it conditions the hair and scalp. Helps protect from all the heat! I put that on first). Redken Velvet Gelatine 07 (This helps the hair hold the style and protects from humidity. I put this on next then blow dry.) Finally, after flat-ironing, I use my new absolute favorite thing in the WHOLE WORLD. Redken Shine Flash 02 (This is a super light glistening mist. Best part about this is that it makes your hair nice and smooth/shiny without looking greasy AT ALL! It also protects from humidity!) Thought I'd share because it took me YEARS to find stuff that works and doesn't make my hair greasy/hard/dry/etc. :yes:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I don't think this is what I had done..I had something else done with a bunch of chemicals. lol. "Chemically straightening."

I was in like 8th grade and sick of getting teased for having curly hair. I was getting bullied for my hair non stop. So I begged and begged my Mom and she took me in to the hair dresser to get this treatment that works on pretty much everybody and will even tame the frizziest of african american hair.

That treatment took SIX HOURS. Omg it was awful. And once it was done, it didn't even work. It barely relaxed my hair. It straightened a couple of pieces and I looked like a complete moron for several months. x.x Ended up having to cut off a good chunk of my hair, actually.

I'm learning to embrace the curl. At least I can control it now..

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I to also have curly hair but what's weird is growing up it was straight as a board then after high school is started curling. Well it's that nasty kink if u don't do anything w it :( I would love to be able to not have to straighten my hair everyday but kinda worried about the hair falling out part :/... [MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] thanks for the advice I found some stuff that I love it's called got2b guardian angel blow out lotion. I love this stuff it's cheap and itll last a good 2 1/2 months and I used it everyday!! They also have hairspray and it smells yummy :) brooklyn always says it smells so yummy to eat lmao kids

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I had a hair dresser who called my hair "Kunta Kinte" and said I had the craziest, frizziest, curliest "white girl hair" he'd ever seen. x.x

I have to put soo much product in it to keep it manageable. I wish I could just do nothing with my hair and have it look good!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
so glad I came to this thread... i have been thinking of getting this for my sister as a gift. I have perfectly straight fine hair (heck of a lot - every stylist I've ever been to has told me I will never go bald) anyway... Shannon (my sister) has unmanageable thick (like thread) curly hair - she HATES it and for as long as I can remember she has been envious of my hair (again, we all want what we do not have). she has four children so never has time to style unless they are going out for some event... which she then spends about two hours to get it straight - blowdry, big fat curlers and then the straight iron... UGH.. I would have cut it off before doing all that, but for the most part she just pulls it back to not deal with it. So, in reading all you have to say.. I think you gave me the info I needed to make the decision. thanks all

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
so glad I came to this thread... i have been thinking of getting this for my sister as a gift. I have perfectly straight fine hair (heck of a lot - every stylist I've ever been to has told me I will never go bald) anyway... Shannon (my sister) has unmanageable thick (like thread) curly hair - she HATES it and for as long as I can remember she has been envious of my hair (again, we all want what we do not have). she has four children so never has time to style unless they are going out for some event... which she then spends about two hours to get it straight - blowdry, big fat curlers and then the straight iron... UGH.. I would have cut it off before doing all that, but for the most part she just pulls it back to not deal with it. So, in reading all you have to say.. I think you gave me the info I needed to make the decision. thanks all

Well I have to say now that I have had it done and all. I do love it! It made my curls much less curly and now I can round brush my hair and not flat iron for the first time in ages and it is very smooth all over. I am sure I wont keep it up all the time but I will for sure get it again. If your sister has such a hard time with her hair I am betting she will love it!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Well I have to say now that I have had it done and all. I do love it! It made my curls much less curly and now I can round brush my hair and not flat iron for the first time in ages and it is very smooth all over. I am sure I wont keep it up all the time but I will for sure get it again. If your sister has such a hard time with her hair I am betting she will love it!

So glad to hear this [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]!!! Something to keep in mind for the future! :)

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Do you have before and after pictures? I gotta say I'm curious.Is it really expensive?

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
lol No before and after here. I style my hair the same so only I can really tell the diff in styling time. It is kinda pricey but not sure how much exactly. I have seen deals for like 150 around town but my cousin does my hair and she doesnt charge me what she charges her reg clients. I paid 140 to her but she tried to charge 70. lol.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Ah, I see. I don't have that kinda money and doubt mom would pay it, lol.

I'm tempted to look into it to see how much it could actually relax my hair. I think you've all seen pictures of my hair..it's nuts.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I get it done every 3-6 months, once it lasted nine months. I love the brazilian blowout but because of formaldeyde (sp?) it is no longer available here in Spokane. The second one kind I got was horrible (can't remember the name) and made my hair dry and frizzy but Ulta redid it for free with a different type and it was back to being perfect. In fact this last one I didn;t have to wait the 72 hours to wash it. I have really fine hair that is now thinning so the keratin straightening is really healthy for my hair. You will love it!!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
@lauerendoodler my cousin said that on people with very curly hair it seems to work very well. She said 1 client has an easier time straightening her hair than getting the curl back. lol. [MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION] wow 9 months?! That is awesome! The 72 hours was hard for me but I held up ok. lol

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
The one that lasted 9 months was the Brazilian. Which one did you get? I think you have more options since you live in So CAl. I absolutely love it!!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
This one is the keratin treatment, diff chemical but same thing the way it is done. My cousin doesnt like to work with brazilian so I am betting a lot of people may not?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.