8b36e1ad.jpg

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
YEAH !! Tell him congratulations from a Washington State RN!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Tell him congrats and good luck. I was pursuing my BSN but things were too time consuming trying to work fulltime and raise the kids. I have a friend that is a Nursing MGR here in NY and one in TX. During the course both had told me that there were hiring freezes, and that the hospitals were very wary of hiring newbies because it cost them roughly $40k the first year of having a newbie with the mentoring and shadowing. Needless to say, that coupled with being stretched thin made me back burner it. They did suggest that the best way to get in and get some experience would be to sign up for nursing services. You get to work stretches in different areas and put some experience under your belt. Then roughly a year in you can try reapplying to the hospitals. It's a hard market out there right now with so many closings and budget cuts. Good luck to him, god bless him for wanting to pay it forward. I love to hear of nurses that are in it for the love of the job not the money.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Tell him congrats and good luck. I was pursuing my BSN but things were too time consuming trying to work fulltime and raise the kids. I have a friend that is a Nursing MGR here in NY and one in TX. During the course both had told me that there were hiring freezes, and that the hospitals were very wary of hiring newbies because it cost them roughly $40k the first year of having a newbie with the mentoring and shadowing. Needless to say, that coupled with being stretched thin made me back burner it. They did suggest that the best way to get in and get some experience would be to sign up for nursing services. You get to work stretches in different areas and put some experience under your belt. Then roughly a year in you can try reapplying to the hospitals. It's a hard market out there right now with so many closings and budget cuts. Good luck to him, god bless him for wanting to pay it forward. I love to hear of nurses that are in it for the love of the job not the money.

You hit the nail on the head there!! There have been recent studies about the changes in nursing and the changing market. The fact that many go into nursing not aware of the hard work, shift work, and gross stuff involved (blood is the easy stuff, lol. Try a bowel prep on a 500 pound paraplegic!!). But when the job market and the economy changed, many went into nursing thinking of job security not for the love of patients!! However, [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], it looks like your son is one of the good ones since he went to a nursing home to work, that is hard work. :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.