advice for recent RN grad?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Just thought I wuold throw this out there in case any of you have any connections in the Pennsylvania area. My son Ryan just graduated Aug 5th with his BSN and already passed his boards..:yes: he is applying EVERYWHERE but many of the hopitals are on hiring freezes with the economy or they want 2 years of hospital experience? ANY TIPS or suggestions.. I have heard its all about who you know? He has a couple good leads so far but naturally wants to get working ASAP... :pray:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If he can move here I have a few relatives and friends who are RNs. :)

And wow your son chose nursing!? I bet you he's going to be in demand soon enough.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
If he can move here I have a few relatives and friends who are RNs. :)

And wow your son chose nursing!? I bet you he's going to be in demand soon enough.

Yes we are SO proud.. he is a childhood SURVIVOR of cancer! he wants to in his words " pay it forward and help others"

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yes we are SO proud.. he is a childhood SURVIVOR of cancer! he wants to in his words " pay it forward and help others"

Awww! Wait is he the one who looked after Duke when he had a stomach bug recently? You did everything right momma! lol.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I'm and RN and it does help to know people. They are always hiring in nursing homes right away, that way he can get some experience while searching for a better paying job. It'll also give him some insurance. I was a CNA before I became a nurse, and got a job in the hospital as a CNA first. But, of course my MIL put in good words about me too. Tell him good job!!! It's hard schooling, and before he knows it, he'll be on the upswing in the job market.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good for him, that's just great and congrats to him for passing. Hope he will find work soon.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I'm and RN and it does help to know people. They are always hiring in nursing homes right away, that way he can get some experience while searching for a better paying job. It'll also give him some insurance. I was a CNA before I became a nurse, and got a job in the hospital as a CNA first. But, of course my MIL put in good words about me too. Tell him good job!!! It's hard schooling, and before he knows it, he'll be on the upswing in the job market.

Thanks.. someone had mentioned the nursing homes but alot of them even say they want experience.. I know he will land himself a good job he is just getting ansy.. but its only been 3 weeks!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
If he has put in apps at all the hospitals, call them a couple times a week. The squeeky wheel gets noticed.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You must be Filipino if... almost half of your family are nurses and the other half are physical therapists... lol!

My sister is also a BSN - graduated in the Philippines. She passed the NCLEX, migrated to the US, and started working for an agency for 2 years (she signed up with the agency and the agency finds her a job) to gain experience. After her 2 year contract with the agency was up, she moved to Houston where there is a high demand for nurses. She has scoliosis so she is very picky with her job - can't be a floor nurse. Her BSN degree got her a sit-down management job at the hospital that paid really good money on top of a $60,000 sign-on bonus.

My cousin just got a job in Houston too - just this past July. Seems like they are still hiring a bunch of nurses. I have another cousin who is a travel nurse. She loves it. She works with an agency who finds her 6-month contracts everywhere. She's been to almost every state in the US. I have another cousin who is a BSN and works as a case manager for Blue Cross health insurance company. And I have another cousin who is a BSN that works as a clinical researcher for a biomedical company.

So yeah... it's not just hospitals and the like. They're everywhere!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
You must be Filipino if... almost half of your family are nurses and the other half are physical therapists... lol!

My sister is also a BSN - graduated in the Philippines. She passed the NCLEX, migrated to the US, and started working for an agency for 2 years (she signed up with the agency and the agency finds her a job) to gain experience. After her 2 year contract with the agency was up, she moved to Houston where there is a high demand for nurses. She has scoliosis so she is very picky with her job - can't be a floor nurse. Her BSN degree got her a sit-down management job at the hospital that paid really good money on top of a $60,000 sign-on bonus.

My cousin just got a job in Houston too - just this past July. Seems like they are still hiring a bunch of nurses. I have another cousin who is a travel nurse. She loves it. She works with an agency who finds her 6-month contracts everywhere. She's been to almost every state in the US. I have another cousin who is a BSN and works as a case manager for Blue Cross health insurance company. And I have another cousin who is a BSN that works as a clinical researcher for a biomedical company.

So yeah... it's not just hospitals and the like. They're everywhere!

well that's motivating! thanks.. I told him to look into the travel nurse idea..

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have a friend that is with an agency too and she travels to "fill in" she loves it!

My son just left for school and he also wants to be a RN. He received a full-ride band scholarship to Mississippi :). I think it is VERY cool!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I have a friend that is with an agency too and she travels to "fill in" she loves it!

My son just left for school and he also wants to be a RN. He received a full-ride band scholarship to Mississippi :). I think it is VERY cool!

CONGRATS to your son!!!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Thank you so much! He called me after his first day of school. So sweet :) But he is so far away!!! I wonder why my kids have to move so far?? lol

I still have Ryan's text message saved in my phone from his first day of nursing classes.. its says " I don't know about this mom "... its a tough study but so worth it!! I wish him the best of luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.