What do you do for work?

H

heff101

How cool is this thread!!!

I am an Administrative Assistant at a Montessori school. We have children from 18months through 8th grade. Last year I was the Office Manager but they did this whole restructuring of administration thing so I got a lower title for the same job (but not less pay). lol.

My second job is being the mom of 6. Skinkids that is :). Two of them are off to college, two of them are in HS and then I have an 8yo and 6yo.

My hubby is a Chief in the Navy. We did 8 years strait of sea time and now we were SUPPOSED to be taking it easy on recruiting duty....yeah right! I see him even less now! lol

My relative runs a Montessori school where I live.

H

heff101

I am from Canada.
I hated school and never pursued any further education beyond high school.
I farmed with my parents for several years and got tired of the family fighting so I opened my own retail business in 1994.
I still run the business and work at it 6 days a week.
Technically I have become a slave to it.
I enjoy it but after 17 years it has become a "job" and no longer a challenge.
I now have the business up for sale and looking at moving to another province afterwards and taking on something new and challenging.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am from Canada.
I hated school and never pursued any further education beyond high school.
I farmed with my parents for several years and got tired of the family fighting so I opened my own retail business in 1994.
I still run the business and work at it 6 days a week.
Technically I have become a slave to it.
I enjoy it but after 17 years it has become a "job" and no longer a challenge.
I now have the business up for sale and looking at moving to another province afterwards and taking on something new and challenging.

Oooo...a new adventure!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
So wanna buy me out?

What kind of business?

By the way, I was just watching House Hunters International on HGTV and they showed a Canadian couple that just dropped everything and moved to Nicaragua or some such sight unseen! I mean, the girl has a friend from work who is from Nicaragua and told her about it and this Canadian couple sold everything they have and moved there never having visited the place! It's quite an adventure for sure. The TV episode showed them adjusting to their new life with new jobs and everything... They love the "slower pace" and the "relaxed" atmosphere... and they don't speak a lick of whatever-language-they-speak-there so they're excited to get over the language-barrier...

I'd be like... eeeeeeeekkk! :D

H

heff101

What kind of business?

By the way, I was just watching House Hunters International on HGTV and they showed a Canadian couple that just dropped everything and moved to Nicaragua or some such sight unseen! I mean, the girl has a friend from work who is from Nicaragua and told her about it and this Canadian couple sold everything they have and moved there never having visited the place! It's quite an adventure for sure. The TV episode showed them adjusting to their new life with new jobs and everything... They love the "slower pace" and the "relaxed" atmosphere... and they don't speak a lick of whatever-language-they-speak-there so they're excited to get over the language-barrier...

I'd be like... eeeeeeeekkk! :D

A profitable one! haha

I want to move to the Cayman Islands but my wife says to far from the kids. And besides likely to hot for Heff!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am from Canada.I hated school and never pursued any further education beyond high school.I farmed with my parents for several years and got tired of the family fighting so I opened my own retail business in 1994.I still run the business and work at it 6 days a week.Technically I have become a slave to it.I enjoy it but after 17 years it has become a "job" and no longer a challenge.I now have the business up for sale and looking at moving to another province afterwards and taking on something new and challenging.
:hmm: there has to be a "calling" for smart a**es...especially ones that are so "special"...:rofl:

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
I worked retail for 9 yrs as an assistant mgr.
Now I work for the state, (for the past 3 yrs) I am caseworker, for food stamps and Medicaid. Big Switch from The retail world!!!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I worked retail for 9 yrs as an assistant mgr.
Now I work for the state, (for the past 3 yrs) I am caseworker, for food stamps and Medicaid. Big Switch from The retail world!!!

Tiffany,

I used to work for Goodwill Industries, Hawaii in their Food Stamp Employment & Training program. I was the jerk that took their food stamps away if they were able bodied and chose not to look for work (even volunteer work) or attend the employment classes we offered.

Much better working at school!

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
Small world GatorRay! I sent my fair share of referrals to the person who does that in our office, I am sure it was a difficult job. Of course you were a jerk! Lol as I have been called that a time or two! It's a tough place to work, but thankful I have a job :)

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Small world GatorRay! I sent my fair share of referrals to the person who does that in our office, I am sure it was a difficult job. Of course you were a jerk! Lol as I have been called that a time or two! It's a tough place to work, but thankful I have a job :)

Tell me about it! I walked in one day to find someone going through my desk! I gave him what for lol.

Now I clean up poop, pee, and occasionally vomit and I tell ya, it is 1000% times better. lol. Plus I get to see are those beautiful SMILES! Yes, people actually smile at me now instead of cussing me. lol And the best part is that they are the smiles of little children, which are the BEST! I was doing car line the other day and I took a boy out of the car to go into school and he said, "Ms. Betty, I am so glad you are here. You are one of my favorite teachers!" Beats being called a jerk (or worse) any day. :)

HuddysBuddy

Mar 14, 2011
Columbia, Pa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Wanted to start by saying great thread [MENTION=3013]armyguy[/MENTION] and thanks to you and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] for your services to the country and community. I am a paint booth operator at Armstrong's Marietta ceiling plant. I'm the guy who makes sure ceiling tiles get painted white and do quality checks before they get sent out. It was 4 crew swing shift and I actually like that... Problem is, last month they locked us out because our current contract ran out and the company haven't been willing to negotiate with us at all. I'll be back to work as soon as we reach an agreement (hopefully soon). I hate not working, but it has been nice spending all this free time with Hudson.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
[MENTION=3013]armyguy[/MENTION]....thank you for all you do! My brother has been active Army for 15 years now and is looking forward to retirement in 5 years. He is a CW3 and a Blackhawk pilot. He has done 2 tours in Iraq and a tour in Korea. He is enjoying his time in Alaska right now. Just got a black bear and a caribou. We went there this past Christmas and a lady walked into their Petco store with her reindeer! Lol only in Alaska!

I on the other hand am a Speech-Language Pathologist. In other words in am a Speech Therapist. I absolutely love my job because I have a big impacted on so many children's lives! It is very rewarding to see a child go from not talking at all to what I like to say "not shutting up" in such a short period of time. Right now I work in a school (pre-k - 8th grade) and I provide Early Intervention services for little ones (0-3 years old) in their home. I hate working in the school because of the people I work with (bunch of back stabbers). I am trying to get a full time position doing EI. I absolutely LOVE EI! I have a daughter who is going into 8 th grade and when she heads off to college I would like to open my own practice where my moto will be: "I learn people to talk gooder!" lol

Some advice for the future.....never ask a Speech-Language Pathologist a question or you will get a long answer.....we are paid to talk! Lol

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=2363]Wlw9x[/MENTION] Sure does!!! What are your job responsibilities like? I process both police department and citizen complaints, process paperwork for community service, IDRC (Intoxicated Driver Resource Center), jail time, etc. Amongst other things!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.