Invisalign, extractions, and school.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
So I have a few things going on that I am excited about so i wanted to share with you all.

i've always hated my teeth and when i was little we didn't have insurance and couldn't afford braces so i've been stuck with my teeth the way they are. I also feel like a shark with too many teeth in my mouth cause i am always biting my cheeks with my wisdom teeth which causes annoying and painful canker sores (sexy huh?). So finally I have good dental insurance and I found a dentist that will bill my insurance the 80% of invisalign cost and waive the 20% that she would normally charge me. yay! as part of the process and just for my comfort, i will be getting my wisdom teeth ripped out of my skull. I am so SCARED of the extraction though. mostly because i have been watching wisdom tooth extractions on youtube. lol. I can't wait though, i'm so sick of those darn things.

Have any of you had invisalign? if you are interested i will keep you guys updated on my course. it will take about 12-18 months total though, cause my teeth are whack! I will start as soon as the trays come in about 6-8 weeks.

My last semester of school starts tuesday! yipee! this is just for my associates in forensic technology, but i am still really glad to just have that accomplished. i should be able to get a big girl job with this if the job market is willing. i'm taking 14 credit hours this semester and i'm working 30 hrs a week, so i'm not sure how much i'll be able to get on here :(

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
congrats on everything!!! I'm super jealous that this is your last semester of school. Wish I could say the same, but I still have 2 1/2 years. Finishing up my bachelor's then right into the Master's program! But I keep telling myself, it will all be worth it in the long run.

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
just my last semester until i get a job with the city, county, or state. then i'll go back for my bachelor's in chemistry. i just want them to pay for it, not me. lol. maricopa county pays 5k a year towards school if it's job related. that would take me a billion years to finish.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Wow how exciting for you!:excited: And your so lucky to have found a dentist to accept insurance assignment only. And that sounds like a phenomenal insurance Because if dental payments are anything like medical payments he will actually get paid less than 50%. Back in the day when I was paying for my kids braces I had what we thought was good insurance but it only paid $1000.00 flat on braces. The other two grand came out of our pocket. :nervous: I had my impacted wisdom teeth removed when I was about your age and it's no walk in the park, but you will be so much happier when it's all finished!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I have had all but one of my wisdom teeth removed after the age of 30 and it wasn't really that bad and BOY it felt so much better after they were removed!!!! I paid about $3000 for my son's braces but he had them for almost three years. It was sooo worth it! You are lucky to have found someone that will help you out!

YAY about being almost finished with school! That is so great :). I have many years of school left....oh, wait, that's cuz I work there. LMBO

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would echo that having your wisdom teeth out - especially if they are impacted - is not too fun. It might be worth asking your oral surgeon if he can prescribe an antibiotic for you to take before and after the surgery to stave off infection. I had an infected socket and it was excruciating and disgusting - and not terribly uncommon. Also, make sure you take some time off of work when you have them out. I was told I only needed a day or two and it just wasn't enough between the swelling, bleeding, and drooling.

I'm sorry - this post is such a downer - I just wish I had that info going into my extraction!

P.S. If your teeth are above the gum line, it's WAY easier!

OP
sheila

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
Thanks [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION], I will have to get on antibiotics anyway because I have mitral valve prolapse and I have to take antibiotics so I won't get endocarditis (?). And I have 60 hours sick time to burn, and I am gonna MILK it! Lol. I only have one of the 4 impacted, so I'm hoping it all goes well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.