Bully's and bears

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
I live up in the Smoky mountains in Tn,have a log home up near the top of a mountain. Of course living there you have to be able to deal with living alongside bears, Black bears. I have a young one about 2 years old that makes my yard a cut through on his daily juants through the woods in search of dinner. I seen him looking in the windows of the 1 st floor checking us out and he'll snoop around at night setting Pepper off on a bark-a-thon. She and I have sat on on the upper deck and he'll be on the other side of the railing on the side of the cut back and we don't even notice him til he gets all huffy. Pretty much she is used to him now though in the beginning she would get really worked up if she saw or smelled him.
If your Bully is barking at bears That is their way to let you know DON'T GO DOWN THERE YOU IDIOT THERE'S A BEAR AROUND SOMEWHERE.
Well I being of a higher more intelligent species figured what the heck let me see what said bear is up to on my lower deck and you Pepper you quit yer barking and carrying on. So I go out to the front yard and make my way up the slope figuring I'll spy the bear on the lower deck and see what it is up to. A friend is upstairs snapping pics of the cuddly teddy bear to even bother to give me a heads up. I come around the large Oak in the front and SHAZZAM !! Face to face with the critter itself.
The photo was taken just seconds before I spun around and beat feet down the slope. I swear That damn Bully was laughing at me

bear1.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Aww! We have black bears also! They love to swim in all the pools and especially love grazing on avocados. They have so constantly gotten into our trash..that we have special bear proof cans provided by the city. Jake hasn't met them yet..but he sure smells when they've been in the yard! Did you ever hear of Samson the bear? He's "our" bear..from our street ...victor..your description of where you live sounds beeeeutiful! :hmm: I will have to see if we have any pics!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Great picture [MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION]. We have black bears in the neighborhood here in N.E. Oregon, too. They raid our fruit trees every fall. When we lived in Central Oregon we were next to a USFS complex and Muggs (my Bulldog then) and I would go over the fence and hike up the river a ways and sometimes see 2 cubs sliding down the bank into the river. They'd splash around then get out and go up the bank again and slide down. That was in the mid '90s and of course I never had a camera because we were just on a walk! It is great living in nature with all of the comforts of home!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
OMG is all I can come up with. I would have froze right there and been eaten by the bear. I'm terribly afraid of them. I agree that your description of where you live and just seeing that photo, is beautiful - sounds peaceful too.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
man that's a little too close for comfort.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Wow .. .I think you need to take notice of Pepper from now on and stay on that upper deck!!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh geez! I would have pee'd my pants for sure! You were so close! I am glad you are still around lol.

OP
Victor Y

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
Big Sister paid a visit the other day.
It seems that lately I have bears in my front yard sunning themselves and scratching like hound dogs. I have to go out and check for bears before e let the pups out or to get in the car. The one I came across behind the tree is a frequent visitor and we leave each other be,pay our respects and go about our bidness.
But Sis here, I took heed of Peppers barking the other morning looked over the railing and spied her lumbering down my driveway and into the front yard. She really is a sight to behold. A few days before this a cub was in our creek in the front playing in the rocks so I take it this is mommy here.
bear3.jpgbigbear.jpg

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
[MENTION=1222]Victor Y[/MENTION]...You better keep checking in so that we know you are still OK and not at some bears breakfast nook.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I think that bear is adorable. LOL.

I'd probably be scared if they showed up at my house, though!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.