tablet users anyone?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Ok so I got this deal in my mail today to buy this tablet for 99 bucks which seems like a great deal cuz it is on sale at this site for 229 or something. BUT my question is.... First is this just a tablet or is it a tablet/phone? I am so confused with this stuff. Second.. Is this something you have to buy a subscription for thru like my verizon wireless? How does this all work? I am so lost. I love technology but dang if it baffles me. Would ask my husband but am thinking of getting him this for his bday so that is a no can do. Here is the non-link if I do it right hopefully.

kgbdeals.com/national/deals/38123/57-off-android-23-tablet-from-merimobiles?utm_source=ym&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dailydeal&utm_term=38123&utm_content=national&kigdb=084ab298-6b6a-11e0-a2af-0024e8696030

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sorry,,, I couldnt tell if it was a phone or not.
I got an HP Zeen tablet with our printer and it sux. Ive decided that not all tablets are created equally. lol iPad still seems to be the leader. ...so far

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My hubby got a motorola zoom..gave me his old iPad..and ended up being very unhappy with the Zoom..took it back to Costco..and bought himself the Ipad 2!!! He was after the adobe flash..but alas..someday apple and adobe will grow up and settle their feud and we will have it! Don't like that part tho!

L

Lucy-licious

My hubby just checked it out in a forum he uses....the verdict is that for the price its an OK tablet if you don't want all the bells and whistles that an IPad will give you. Its not a phone and connects through wifi so no subscriptions. :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Wouldnt 'connects thru wifi' also mean that you would HAVE to have a wifi network available to connect to. No 3g/4g available??

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
A tablet is not a phone. A tablet is... uhm... an iPad. I mean - the iPad is the first noteworthy tablet computer and now you see everybody else trying to make their own version. Make sense?

So, that one you got on sale for $99 is not a smartphone, it's a tablet. Now, a tablet may come with a 3G or 4G wireless connection - that is, you can subscribe to a mobile service (iPad uses AT&T provider for their 3G) and your tablet will use it to connect to the internet from almost anywhere. But, this particular one you have on your link doesn't come with that feature. So, this particular tablet can only use wifi hotspots.

It's a nifty little thing for $99. And the Android market has tons of cool stuff on there now so you can load up that tablet with cool stuff that will fit on that measly 4GB drive.

Yeah, 4GB sounds like a lot... but, trust me, when you start loading your mp3 library and video library, photo library, and your books on it, 4GB goes by in a quickness. I have 64GB on my iPad and I'm well over half-way on filled up!

So yeah, $99 is a bargain but you also get what you pay for. Make sense?

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

Good point......:nope: nope no 3G that would mean buying a seperate 3G card for mobile internet, which means subsription.......kinda defeats the object of a tablet if you cant access the internet unless your in your own home :blink:

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Ok so let me get this straight. At home we have wireless of course and so it would work using our wireless comp network or anywhere outside the home where there is internet, kinda like a laptop? But would not use our cell phone server which is good cuz there is no monthly pay but then less features? Am I on the right track? I figure for the price we can afford that and while he is at work and waiting for things to get done so he can work maybe he could use that and play a bit. And if he doesnt like it he could give it to me. ;) I would love the ipad, my mom has it and wow. But that is not something we would want for the cost. Now if we had a smart phone, would that then replace this and make this pointless? Both our contracts are up in a couple months so this is also an option maybe.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Good point......:nope: nope no 3G that would mean buying a seperate 3G card for mobile internet, which means subsription.......kinda defeats the object of a tablet if you cant access the internet unless your in your own home :blink:

I specifically purchased the iPad without the 3G. It was 100 bucks more for the 3G, so I opted for the bigger memory capacity instead. The reason I did this is because I purchased the Personal Hotspot on my iPhone. I work from home, so I supplemented my house cable internet with a mobile hotspot so that if the power ever goes out in my house, I can still work. Also, with the kids and all, I can take them to the pool or the park or go on vacation and still have my own hotspot following me around.

The iPhone's personal hotspot through AT&T is only $20/month. And so, with that, I can have up to 5 machines hooked up to it - so when we're travelling, I can have my laptop, my sons' DS's, and my iPad all on the internet at the same time.

Activating the 3G on the iPad is more expensive and it is only good for that specific iPad. So, my advice to people is instead of getting the 3G on a tablet, might as well activate a personal hotspot on your smartphone.

P.S. There's tons of wifi hotspots all over the city. All malls have one, most restaurants have one, cafes and such have one, hotels have one, and there's always one or two neighbors who don't lock their wifi's.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok so let me get this straight. At home we have wireless of course and so it would work using our wireless comp network or anywhere outside the home where there is internet, kinda like a laptop?

Yep!

Of course, there are tons of stuff you can do on it without the internet. Most applications you download once and then use it while disconnected to the internet. But of course, browsing the internet, checking email... you need to be around a wifi hotspot.

But would not use our cell phone server which is good cuz there is no monthly pay but then less features? Am I on the right track?

I'm not sure what you mean by less features. The only feature you are missing is being able to connect to the internet from almost anywhere. The tablet still has all its tablet features, you just have to find a wifi hotspot to use the internet stuff.

You're not using your cellphone service for a tablet unless you purchase a mobile hotspot for your cell phone (not all phones can do this... like even iPhones can't do this - only the iPhone 4 can. Several Android smartphones can do it, one of the Blackberry's can do it, etc.)

Edit: Wait, I think what you mean is purchasing a mobile wifi through your cellphone provider... no, this doesn't quite work that simply on a tablet. The mobile wifi that cellphone providers normally give you (if you don't have a smartphone or a 3G/4G capable tablet) comes with a fob thinga-magig that goes on the USB port of your laptop. They haven't come up with something you can attach to your tablet yet. They have stand-alone ones too like Clearwire, but they're giant. It defeats the purpose of having a tablet you lug around anywhere.

I figure for the price we can afford that and while he is at work and waiting for things to get done so he can work maybe he could use that and play a bit. And if he doesnt like it he could give it to me. ;) I would love the ipad, my mom has it and wow. But that is not something we would want for the cost. Now if we had a smart phone, would that then replace this and make this pointless? Both our contracts are up in a couple months so this is also an option maybe.

A smartphone is completely different from a tablet. They each provide different uses. Your biggest difference is the size of the screen. I have both an iPhone and an iPad. One doesn't replace the other... for example - if I want to read a book, I use the iPad not the iPhone. It would kill my eyes to read a book off the iPhone. But, if I'm running around town and I want to check the movie schedules, I whip out the iPhone... I carry the phone in my hand, I carry the iPad in a purse usually left behind in the car...

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
**ahem, nerds!
nerdemoticon.png

lol. sorry guys, couldn't help it.

nerdsimpsons.gif

L

Lucy-licious

Is there a store where you can go and look at it and ask someone to explain its uses to you?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Is there a store where you can go and look at it and ask someone to explain its uses to you?

Okay, if you're just curious to see what a tablet can do, then Best Buy has several android tablets similar to the Haina M701R brand. Coby is probably the brand closest to a Haina in price and features - also runs Android Gingerbread and has HDMI output, similar memory capacity, similar screen size, I can't tell you if the touch screen is the same or not since I've never held a Haina.

Haina is not easily available in the brick-and-mortar stores. Haina is a Chinese company and if there's anybody carrying a Chinese tablet it will be Walmart - but, alas, even Walmart doesn't carry that brand, so I'm not sure if you can find it anywhere except some online store or a mom-and-pop type computer store.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.